5"+ forks on P3 ?

dillon

Likes Dirt
Anyone got 5" or greater forks on their 02/03 P3 frame ?
Post pic if possible, what are your experiences with the handling/lifespan ?

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
I can't see how a boxxer could flair the p3 headtube if installed right and not run loose. Its just as beefy as allot of dh bike headtubes.

AirDog

Likes Dirt
the p3 should take that no probs. i runing a dc 6" fork on my kona scab and it's never felt better i dont notice any more flex and the steering is so more direct. it's only been a little while but i dont see it snapping.

edwin veal

Likes Dirt
the scab is cromo and is probably stronger
i got new dj3's on my 02 p3 and its fine but only worry i would have is with the acctual crow of the fork
i've seen a couple that are real stressed from running 5"

AirDog

Likes Dirt
edwin veal said:
the scab is cromo and is probably stronger
i got new dj3's on my 02 p3 and its fine but only worry i would have is with the acctual crow of the fork
i've seen a couple that are real stressed from running 5"
maby so but it feels madcore RIDE IT TILL IT BREAKS man

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
theres a dude that lives near me and has a marzocchi something dc fork on his p3, search neko in pink bike pictures

fastrider gus

super huck
my mate used to run '99 monsters on his '00 P3.. it was a farkin bitch to ride cos it was soooo short then had a massave crown at your knees.. but he abused the hell out of it and its still going strong with whoever is riding it.. he nose-dive cased some maaaassave jumps at waurn ponds and the HT came out fine so they are obviously going to be fine with 5" forks...
P3's are usually a very twitchy ride but with the slightly longer forks it makes them more comfortable..

dillon

Likes Dirt
I bought a s/h complete 01 Kona Stuff for very cheap.
(Strathpine Cycles can get new '02 P3 frames for $450)

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
edwin veal said:
mind my stupidity but what do you mean the actual crow of the fork?

dillon

Likes Dirt
The stanchions coming loose or knocking in the crown legs that go over the stanchions. From sideways-stalls etc I'm told.
But you'll see how the crown legs are longer on the 03 DJ's.