$60 for 4 Race Photos?!

mitchy_

Llama calmer
kool... thanks for repeating what i said........ :clap2:[/QUOTE]

ignorance proven.

totally with you on this..... instead of charging $60 and potentially turning 95% off all people off buying them..... charge $15-20!
I personally wouldn't buy photos for $30 (thats me)... however if they were <$10 then I'd think 'mehhh...why not" esp if other mates were there and everyone jumps on the boat.

theres an old saying... quality over quantity... but quantity has a quality all its own.
if Joe is struggling to sell his hard work for $60 and complaining no one is buying them... then try selling them for less.
how do we know they're not making sales?
$30/photo might already be his point where he makes the most profit.

just because a couple of people wouldn't pay the price, doesn't mean it's not a successful operation. or vice versa.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'd pay $60 for four great photos. You have the memories in your head, it's always pretty ace to be able to show those around you what you spend your time doing. I'd rather pay that amount of money for the digital copy over a print any day.
These guys have to make some of the money back for the time and expense they put into it. Fair cop they do it for practice or fun or whatever but it still costs a bit and you giving some back is what will keep that guy coming back and taking great photos of your chosen sport.
Strangely, I thought of NSMB's video whilst reading this thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMQ-6YYn7PM

ChopSticks

Banned
Chopsticks, it doesn't sound like the photographer has complained.
sorry I was actually suppose to quote Wisey's comment.

"Fewer than 10% of riders will actually buy any pics so its hardly a gold mine. Sort of annoys me when people expect amazing pics for next to nothing. The amount of shitty racing pics I see from Joe average compared to quality, properly finished shots is few and far between, at the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

Just out of principle, I ordered 4 digital pics for $60 from one of our photogs down here for the VDHS, he takes amazing DH pics of high quality and gets them published regularly online and in print, hardly anyone was buying them and he was scratching his head saying "why do I bother, maybe I wont next year". "

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
totally with you on this..... instead of charging $60 and potentially turning 95% off all people off buying them..... charge $15-20!
I personally wouldn't buy photos for $30 (thats me)... however if they were <$10 then I'd think 'mehhh...why not" esp if other mates were there and everyone jumps on the boat.
Yeah same here, I'd happily pay that for a photo or two, that little bit more is to far regardless of professional quality, hence no money for me at all.

Used to pay about $10 an A4 print at the races about 10-12 years ago, I considered that value (taking into the value difference back then til now). But it wasn't digitial and I didn't need to pay more to get it printed.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sorry I was actually suppose to quote Wisey's comment.

So to get more people to buy shit you just reduce the price, is that what you are saying? Whats the point, may as well just give them away if you expect quality photography for $10 a pop. Bottom line, his time and effort is not worth it, he is not going to bust his balls for $20 a head just because you think thats all a photo is worth. My point was, he wont do it anymore because it is a waste of his time as everyone like the OP wingers when asked for $15 a shot like it miraculously appears online.

People these days, unrealistic expectations of others because you're a damn tight ass and expect everything for nothing.

I'll say it again, support photogs people, they gotta eat as well and youll be the first lot to whine when they aint around anymore cause you all too tight to buy a shot...

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll put it another way. Chops, how much do you make an hour and what would be the minimum price that you would work for per hour? That $10 pic costs a lot more than $10 to create when you consider time, effort, expense, equipment etc...

Each to their own but I can tell you there arent many photogs on the MTB / WC scene making a killing from taking pics, you could count them on one hand.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
The price is what it is. It's a pretty open market, low barriers to entry, etc etc.

I have never purchased a race photo, and don't think I ever will.

Serious question: what do you guys do with these photos? Do they get framed and hung in the lounge room? Just sit on a hard disk? Mother's day gift?

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah same here, I'd happily pay that for a photo or two, that little bit more is to far regardless of professional quality, hence no money for me at all.

Used to pay about $10 an A4 print at the races about 10-12 years ago, I considered that value (taking into the value difference back then til now). But it wasn't digitial and I didn't need to pay more to get it printed.
Same from motorsport, I think Phillip Is may have been more. A guy at wakefield used to send you a CD with all the shots of you in it for around $50. I didn't mind paying for the A4 professional shots, still have several on my wall from 10 or more years ago. Have a nice crash shot when I was K'Oed. Good memories.

bgs

Likes Bikes
Personally, I wouldn't pay $60 for a couple of photos of me just riding along in a race but it's up to the individual I suppose. I couldn't care less if it's the photographers only source of income and how much time and effort they put in, it's their choice to do it and it's their choice to charge what they do. Only the consumer can decide whether that price is reasonable or not. It's not like the photographers in question are providing an essential service to the community or donating proceeds to charity, they are there to earn as much money as they can out of people just like any other person in business. So I don't feel any pity or need to support them when there were probably volunteers at the race that day who drove to the race, gave up their time and worked just as hard for no money at all.

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think you'll find at most decent size races there will be a number of photogs out there on the day, at least one will be just taking photos as a hobby or because someone they know are racing... I would suggest approaching all photographers on the day if you can and ask, more often than not there will be at least one just happy to email you the pics free of charge. As for pricing, I was an event photographer previously and I would say the pricing is quite steep, but that is completely up to the photographer, I would imagine at that price there would be very few paying customers...

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The price is what it is. It's a pretty open market, low barriers to entry, etc etc.

I have never purchased a race photo, and don't think I ever will.

Serious question: what do you guys do with these photos? Do they get framed and hung in the lounge room? Just sit on a hard disk? Mother's day gift?
Great question!

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
GOOD photography is undervalued and a major reason I gave it away. It is unregulated and too easily available for free. 99% of the people on this forum couldn't compose an image worth $20 each let alone own the equipment to do so. These are not snap shot some person has decided to take the day before the race. They are well thought out and executed images often taken by more than one photographer out there for the whole time. If you think taking MTB photos is easy I will happily lend you my gear and see how you go.
I have seen way too many shit photos in my time, however I haven't seen a shit image from a MTB race yet.
end rant

Gripo

Eats Squid
Yep, that's fair for a file that will print to 10x8 high res....shit how much do you spend on one tyre that may last 6 months of racing if that or a chain or a set of grips or a or a.....get the drift?

Last edited:

Snit

Likes Bikes
Not sure what the fuss is about in regards to mountain bike photos at a XC race. They are just photos of people riding a bike. Even if it was free, you will probably throw one on facebook to show off to your mates who won't really give a toss, you might get a "LIKE" from your girlfriend and Aunty, then you will throw the disc in a drawer somewhere and that will be the end of it. $60? No thanks.

ChopSticks

Banned
I'll put it another way. Chops, how much do you make an hour and what would be the minimum price that you would work for per hour? That $10 pic costs a lot more than $10 to create when you consider time, effort, expense, equipment etc...

Each to their own but I can tell you there arent many photogs on the MTB / WC scene making a killing from taking pics, you could count them on one hand.
I earn enough to satisfy my drug and bike addiction ;)

But regardless of how much I (or anyone) earns... if you aren't getting the numbers to buy them... then whats the point?
ie I can work 1 hour...... but if I'm not even getting 1 hours worth of work... I would rather work 3 hours and get paid 1/3 of my wage... at least I get practice/experience/'get my name out there' vs sitting alone in the office earning shit all.... and possibly getting a reputation for over charging?

its only worth what people are willing to pay... ie bob aka OP....

yes you can charge $50 for a photo....... with a race of 500 entries... whats the chance of anyone buying one?
charge $1 for one photo... and chances are you'lll get more than 50+ buyers...... do you see what I'm getting at?

I have nothing against photographers.... they can charge whatever they want... its their prerogative, but who's the one paying?.......

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
GOOD photography is undervalued and a major reason I gave it away. It is unregulated and too easily available for free. 99% of the people on this forum couldn't compose an image worth $20 each let alone own the equipment to do so. These are not snap shot some person has decided to take the day before the race. They are well thought out and executed images often taken by more than one photographer out there for the whole time. If you think taking MTB photos is easy I will happily lend you my gear and see how you go.
I have seen way too many shit photos in my time, however I haven't seen a shit image from a MTB race yet.
end rant
Well said, spot on.

As far as how much a pic is worth, that is up to the person judging it really, if you think it is worth the money then it is but there is a massive difference between an average photographer and a great photographer with an eye for the sport and mega $ equipment. Ive seen plenty of photogs put average, poor quality pics online with a price tag which I would not pay and don't, that's my judgment and MY DECISION, if I don't like them, I don't buy them. In the case I was talking about where I purchased some, the guy is arguable the best MTB snapper in Vic and one of the best in the country. Honestly, I feel privileged to have him take photos of me, I was and will be again, happy to pay for that privilege.

Why? Who really cares, each to their own. Guess I'm just narcissistic...

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I earn enough to satisfy my drug and bike addiction ;)

But regardless of how much I (or anyone) earns... if you aren't getting the numbers to buy them... then whats the point?
ie I can work 1 hour...... but if I'm not even getting 1 hours worth of work... I would rather work 3 hours and get paid 1/3 of my wage... at least I get practice/experience/'get my name out there' vs sitting alone in the office earning shit all.... and possibly getting a reputation for over charging?

its only worth what people are willing to pay... ie bob aka OP....

yes you can charge $50 for a photo....... with a race of 500 entries... whats the chance of anyone buying one?
charge $1 for one photo... and chances are you'lll get more than 50+ buyers...... do you see what I'm getting at?

I have nothing against photographers.... they can charge whatever they want... its their prerogative, but who's the one paying?.......
You are a massive tight arse though

mitchy_

Llama calmer
true... and so is the 90%~ of people here that are unwilling to pay $60 for a few photos.......

as I said on my first post thought..... only you can decide if its worth it.
39 posts, mostly from the same people, constitutes 90% of people? i how your well paying job doesn't involve numbers.