$60 for 4 Race Photos?!

Gripo

Eats Squid
its only worth what people are willing to pay... ie bob aka OP....

yes you can charge $50 for a photo....... with a race of 500 entries... whats the chance of anyone buying one?
charge $1 for one photo... and chances are you'lll get more than 50+ buyers...... do you see what I'm getting at?

I have nothing against photographers.... they can charge whatever they want... its their prerogative, but who's the one paying?.......

That's true......I always find it frustrating no matter what the arena ie. entry fees/retail etc. etc.......seem to overcharge, then whinge that sales/take up is low.....eg. like your LBS V's Internet Shop?

They need to "price right" from the start!

It's a gamble!

ChopSticks

Banned
39 posts, mostly from the same people, constitutes 90% of people? i how your well paying job doesn't involve numbers.
Unfortunately my well paying job does... and does Very well :whistle:
the 90% figure was from Wisey's post..... but HEY! just keep nit picking on everything I say... dont care one bit what you have to say :)

That's true......I always find it frustrating no matter what the arena ie. entry fees/retail etc. etc.......seem to overcharge, then whinge that sales/take up is low.....eg. like your LBS V's Internet Shop?

They need to "price right" from the start!

It's a gamble!
exactly.... if your current pricing/structure isnt working..... its time to adjust/different approach before you burn and sink.

driftking

Wheel size expert
That's right, A photo, as in singular.

A regular shoot they would be editing thousands of photos.

Multiply that by a few minutes each time.
yes but we are talking about 1 photo aren't we. The subject is the $30 price tag on one photo and the time and money that goes into that one photo. If you want to discuss the total hours and total work that you need to also know how many he sells. If he pays himself say $25 an hour for editing and it takes him 5min to do a edit (which for a pro is pretty easy if not more than enough) That will tag on $2 to each photo. He is using a digital copy so there is no hard things for cost inuring on the print side, the user who pays for it will still need to go and print it which for a A4 size will set them back another say $10.

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
If you think it's expensive, then it is...... to you.

Considering the person has to get to the event, spend hours out on the trail walking around taking shots, pay for upkeep of equipment, food on the day etc etc plus make a profit... I dot think $25 is too much to ask if you really like the shot.

Like anything, I think $1000 is expensive for a watch.....others think that's cheap.
If they sell 8 photos they've made as much as many people do in a day of work.

Click.
Click.
Click.
Click.
Click.
Click.
Click.
Click.

+ some edit time, and there you go, a day's wages. Want to be pretty schmick photos.

indica

Serial flasher
The price is a joke, how the hell is that worth $60?

Really? People like this cause piracy, over charging and then wondering why no one buys their "product"?

Click click, run standard filter batch process, upload.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
It's worth what people will pay. If no one pays it's worth nothing.

For some, vanity is priceless. They are no more a ripoff than, say colour matched ano parts that are twice the price of the standard black....

tex72

Likes Dirt
:photo:Maybe Aussie photogs need to look at their business model.

The last couple of times I was at the Scott24hr at Stromlo a few years ago the official photogs were 'Sportograf' (German mob, I think). They had quite a few cameras set up stationary & roving, catching all the action.From memory I paid a fixed price of about $60 for all the images of me + any images from an 'unidentified' file (always check this one) + any images from the 'group/scenery' file (shots of race start, sunrise/set, arty shots, shots from a distance. etc) for digital download. Took a while to browes 1000's of thumbnails, but worth it.

I was riding solo, so altogether I got about 100 great photos/memories of the whole event which was a pretty good deal I thought because the whole thing was a vague blur to me after 24hrs in the saddle.:photo:

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
Because there is lots of debate here part of me can see it been reasonable to an extent.

Lets say they takes 200 useable photos each day over 2 days so he had 400 photos that require editing. Lets assume its the typical editing which takes <5min for a pro.

Lets say he spend 12 hours each day on photos.

24h taking.
It will take approximately 34h hours to edit.
lets say another 24h sorting them down to the 400.

In total we have 82 hours of work. if we assume he does 12 hours on the weekend both days (taking the shots) but only 8 hours the following days this will take him a full 7 days to finish.

Lets assume he sells 25% of his photos. 100photos at $30 =$3000

If he pays himself $25/h he will earn $2050 for his work. I think anyone will say this is a reasonable pay day. I think most will think $25 is pretty decent.

This leaves him with $950 to cover all his cost for the trip , maintenance and kit which is more than enough, no doubt will have a hefty profit left here too.

Equipment needs to be calculated over the life of said equipment so it would add very little to each photo, the computer is very low maintenance and for a editing station they are not that expensive over time, and this assumes it is only used for editing and not personal use, the more personal use it is used for the less they can charger to the customer, it cost nothing to store photos, You can buy a 2TB hard drive for $100. I cant say I know how often photographers buy new kit in regards to the camera, but there is also a point where having the best is not needed, and in that case when it becomes a want for a better camera not a need for the photo quality the customer should not need to pay for the photographers extra enthusiast nature, no this would come out of the photographer pay. Its only when the gear is needed for the photo the rider wants. If you can get an identical photo from lower end gear say a 400D but he uses a 5k camera that yields the same result ,this cost should not be passed on to the consumer, the same goes for the computer if you can get the same results from a 2k computer but you go buy a top like mac for 5k that is your choice and the customer should not pay for that, their enthusiast nature that makes them want the higher end stuff is their pocket not ours.

Of course we need to consider these figures are estimates and he may only sell 10% of photos so who knows what the actual figures are.
On the other side if you buy your photos in bulk he is selling these for half price so his pay is dropped.

Do I still think its way too expensive?
Yes without a doubt.
If he is paying himself 25 an hour of pure profit and more than likely will have more left over from the remainder after expenses its a pretty decent wage and haul for himself. However on the flip if he isn't selling enough and needs to up the price to break even while I don't think that justifies the cost of the photo you can understand why he has made it expensive.

Regardless of his position $30 for a digital copy is way too much money no matter what way you slice it, just because it cost you something because your sales are down does not justify it been more expensive. I cant buy 100 staplers for $500 and than sell 2 for $250 because I cant sell them to break even. They are still only worth $5 each. If he is however doing well and paying himself a large wage that makes me even less inclined to buy them.
M2c

Last edited:

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
It's not a constant income, so the coin might not be a glamorous as it seems..

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
It's not a constant income, so the coin might not be a glamorous as it seems..
Its probably not a primary job. Either way as with my stapler example above it doesn't make something worth more than it is because you cant sell enough.

Shadow Puppet

Likes Dirt
If they sell 8 photos they've made as much as many people do in a day of work.

Click.
Click.
Click.
Click.
Click.
Click.
Click.
Click.

+ some edit time, and there you go, a day's wages. Want to be pretty schmick photos.
The photographer doesn't get holiday pay, sick pay, annual leave, has to pay his own insurance, superannuation, provides own transport, equipment...............

Also, unlike most people who have a regular job and are guaranteed to get paid for the days work they do when they get up and go to work, the photographer has no guarantees he or she is going to make any sales at all for their efforts.

I'm not saying that $25 for a photo is cheap or expensive. I take photos at races but just for fun and happy for people to download the full res file off flickr. If I saw a photo of me at a race that I really liked though, I'd happily pay $25 for it.

Last edited:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I'd like to see an example of the photos before passing judgement. Are they just shots of riding along flat trail? Panned or just a frozen momento of perceived action?

I took my camera and a few lenses along to one of the GE rounds last year. Nothing too amazing but sold enough of packs of shots to cover my entry fee which I was happy with. Didn't go there to shoot to make a profit just the experience. If it's a pro shooter though and that's what he wants to charge, good luck to him. FWIW I sold mine for like $10 a pic or i think $25 for every shot I had of a rider. Varied from 3-7 pics depending on the timing.

Last edited:

^dave

Likes Bikes
The photographer is going to charge whatever amount gets them the most profit, you can't blame them for this. If they're charging too much, they wont sell many photos and they will be the ones losing out, not you. They will drop their prices for the next time and everyone will be happy.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Its probably not a primary job. Either way as with my stapler example above it doesn't make something worth more than it is because you cant sell enough.
your stapler reference is crude at best, there is not 5000% mark up on these photos.

how about we leave the business decisions to the business owner.
he's either making enough to cover what he believes his time is worth. if not, then he can reduce his prices to try gain business or it will fall in a heap. that's his prerogative.

i've had potential clients tell me i'm too expensive, but i also have more work than i can handle. should i drop my price to gain the business of some tightass who will probably fuck me around more than my other clients?

you can bet your dickhole i wont be.

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Couple of professional pics from Round 5 of the Sunshine Series last weekend.

This I'd be inclined to pay for, nice action shot, bit of lens flare:
2048_53d6107f974e3.jpg

This not so much, I look like a dick:
2048_53d636d29e3f7.jpg

Low Res Digital: $7.50
Hi Res Digital: $12.50
8x12" print: $16.50

Reasonable costs IMO.

Last edited:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Couple of professional pics from Round 5 of the Sunshine Series last weekend.

This I'd be inclined to pay for, nice action shot, bit of lens flare:
View attachment 295338

This not so much, I look like a dick:
View attachment 295337

Low Res Digital: $7.50
Hi Res Digital: $12.50
8x12" print: $16.50

Reasonable costs IMO.
Yep I'd say that's fair, not the best shots but enough for a decent memory of the race to show your mates or post to social media?

I mean the discussed photographer isn't that far off that. $60 for 4 that's $15 each but if buying that many I'd be offering a discount to entice more sales.

NoFearNick7

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just to confirm; the price is $29.95 for a single digital download or $59.95 for all 4 photos digital download, prints are additional cost. There were 3 photographers (from what I can tell) at the event, simply sitting there waiting for riders to come along; so no extra equipment apart from the camera.

All these people flaming others for agreeing that these are prices are expensive need to get off their bloody high horses. Us riders who are the ones paying for these photos aren't going to be able to tell the difference between these high quality photos, so why should we only have the option of paying the premium price tag?

The general consensus seems that $29.95 for a single photo digital download, is higher than anyone has ever heard of or paid and that's the point I was making in my initial post. Someone before mentioned contacting the photographers directly and I will follow that advise as I would like the photos and will happily support them but still believe the amount they are charging is overpriced.

Foxpuppet, here is a sample of the pictures. It seems like an excellent photo to me, however still not $29.95 worth.

Attachments

^dave

Likes Bikes
All these people flaming others for agreeing that these are prices are expensive need to get off their bloody high horses. Us riders who are the ones paying for these photos aren't going to be able to tell the difference between these high quality photos, so why should we only have the option of paying the premium price tag?
So would you rather no one take your photograph in the first place? I guess I'm confused as to what makes you feel as though you're entitled to have someone take your photograph and then sell it to you at a reasonable price, in the first place.

It's like anything else in life. The photographer is going to charge as much as they possibly can, and you can't blame them for that.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So this is the standard of photography that I am happy to pay $15 a piece for a high res copy.

bright.jpg

Bright2.jpg

I knew there was a way I could get a pic in here of myself....

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
So would you rather no one take your photograph in the first place? I guess I'm confused as to what makes you feel as though you're entitled to have someone take your photograph and then sell it to you at a reasonable price, in the first place.

It's like anything else in life. The photographer is going to charge as much as they possibly can, and you can't blame them for that.

Well if that's the pic quality above that nick has posted it's definitely overpriced. Doesn't matter what they charge if no one buys they make nothing. A reasonable price would see a higher percentage of sales and possible repeat business at the next event.

So this is the standard of photography that I am happy to pay $15 a piece for a high res copy.

View attachment 295369

View attachment 295368

I knew there was a way I could get a pic in here of myself....

This would be worth $29.95

Well executed, interesting angles and DOF in second shot makes a much better shot.

NFnicks sample looks like a disposable camera shot from the 80s