650b in Australia

redhardtail

Likes Bikes
Howdy

how easy or hard is it to get 650b gear in Oz eg rims/wheels and frame can be found, imported or custom built but what about tubes, tyres, spokes etc.

I am aware that definitive cycles bring in the Pacenti tyres, and we have varying access to rims, and blacksheep bring in Ventana (the next bike will be a dually, probably 5" 650b or 29er).

Any there other good resources for both research and purchasing?

chuckrockswell

iRide Bikes
Easy.

Stans do 355 rims in 650b, just laced a set up today and fitted 650b Schwalbe Racing Ralphs to them. So parts are becoming more and more readily available.

Carver bikes are also worth checking out, they are also distributed in Oz

floody

Wheel size expert
The fact people need to ask is a pretty good indication that going 650b is at best a fairly poor plan of action.
I know thats not helpful, but it only seems sensible for people who MUST be so alternative and somehow have money to burn being the guinea pig for a fairly frivolous standard.

Last edited:

DW-1

Dirt Works
Howdy

how easy or hard is it to get 650b gear in Oz eg rims/wheels and frame can be found, imported or custom built but what about tubes, tyres, spokes etc.

I am aware that definitive cycles bring in the Pacenti tyres, and we have varying access to rims, and blacksheep bring in Ventana (the next bike will be a dually, probably 5" 650b or 29er).

Any there other good resources for both research and purchasing?
We have both Stan's (ZTR 355) and Sun rims (EQ25 and EQ27) in 650b.

Spokes are no problem. Tyres are improving.

shoot a message to pdogg. he's a 650b evangelist and on top of the latest and greatest 650b trends and availabilities.

Elvis

TiminOz

Cannon Fodder
The fact people need to ask is a pretty good indication that going 650b is at best a fairly poor plan of action.
I know thats not helpful, but it only seems sensible for people who MUST be so alternative and somehow have money to burn being the guinea pig for a fairly frivolous standard.
That has to be one of the most narrow-minded comments i've seen on a forum to date.

jet-ski

Squid
From what I've seen they are gaining popularity. It's a good sign for shorties like me who find 700c bikes that fit fairly geometrically compromised!

Riderdown

Likes Bikes
Defcon 27five

I've been looking at the steel 27five by Defcon which is still just a project.

http://defconcycles.com.au/pages/steel-27five?c=1

This ticks alot of boxes for me, Steel hardtail, 650b would suit my preference for Xfusion Velvet forks whilst giving better rolling over obstacles, single speed compatible (if for no other reason than to get you home after a derailer smashing).

It is however not in production yet, are there any others that I should look at?

fairy1

Banned
That has to be one of the most narrow-minded comments i've seen on a forum to date.
I see no problem with it, I had to check what the hell a 650B was, a 27.5" wheeled bike what a wank, seriously. If I see an idiot on the trails with one I will point and laugh, I hope that was more narrow minded that Floody's post.

0psi

Eats Squid
I see no problem with it, I had to check what the hell a 650B was, a 27.5" wheeled bike what a wank, seriously. If I see an idiot on the trails with one I will point and laugh, I hope that was more narrow minded that Floody's post.
Cool. I didn't think there was anyone left that still rides a fully rigid single speed with 1.9" wide tyres.

I'd have a sniff around some US webshops for 650 gear as it's gained a bit more acceptance over there with main stream brands like Jamis offering 650B bikes.

One of the issues you'll run into are forks, pretty much no one makes a 650 specific suspension fork. You can squeeze a 650 wheel into most 26 forks but you're left with bugger all clearance. Lefty's are probably your best option, there is an adaptor to run them in a normal frame and I believe there is a travel reducer available too. Mavericks are another option. Or if you wanna get funky http://www.whitebrotherscycling.com/650b.shtml

As for tires, I believe Kenda and WTB also do 650 tires.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All ragley frames fit 650b wheels. The QED is a steel ss hardtail designed around a 5'' fork. I'm looking into getting one at the moment. All X-fusion forks are 650b compatible. And fox's generally work without too much trouble..

Stretch the tubes, order a few sets of tires online and you're good to go..

I'm opposed to the growing number of 'standards' in mtb. But 650b makes sense for am riding..

floody

Wheel size expert
Oh look, thread from the dead!

Hey what do you know, almost a year on and nothing has changed, its still a pointless wank.

I can understand for very short people and children on roadbikes - where there is no shortage of 650B equipment - but its just ridiculous for mountain biking. If you're too short for a 29er, just ride a 26", and if 26" doesn't "roll over obstacles" well enough, find a sport suited to your talents like Grand Prix basket weaving.

It is stupid to feed seven bad horses badly when you could feed two good horses well.

As for Ragley if their bikes all fit 650B then they could probably hack an inch of length out and make an even better handling 26".

What exactly is a Fuppet, riderdown? Is it someone who, with the benefit of experience and critical awareness, champions mass produced stuff that works; or, someone who champions a standard generally only supported by some obscure shed built crap of spurious usefulness because its different?

RCOH

Eats Squid
650b isn't new, it is just (relatively) newly re-introduced to the mtb-proper market. There was a french bike club in 1950 using off road 650b bikes, and it is a very popular wheel size in france, switzerland and a few other countries (sheldon brown reckons there would be "millions" of 650b bikes in europe.

Also, the now-defunct Chainring Transit Authority had been selling 650b wheels & tyres for at least the past 3 or so years.

Also, whatever...

floody

Wheel size expert
Who gives a flying fcuk in all honesty if there is lots of 650B in general in Europe. Flying Pigeon have made and sold north of 75,000,000 28" Roadster bikes in China but I ain't going to build up a 28" MTB with rod brakes.

Jeeebus...the fact this phrase -
Lefty's are probably your best option
- was ever typed should set of alarm bells!

rone

Eats Squid
As for Ragley if their bikes all fit 650B then they could probably hack an inch of length out and make an even better handling 26".
You've not ridden one then, eh? I'd do your homework and reserve judgement until you've had a ride if I were you.

Anyway, 36ers are where it's at.

Attachments