650b?

edWIN222

Cannon Fodder
hi guys, what is a 650b wheel?
im always hearing about them as the 'up and coming' thing but i have no idea what it is.
a little bit of advice would be greatly appreciated :)

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hi guys, what is a 650b wheel?
im always hearing about them as the 'up and coming' thing but i have no idea what it is.
a little bit of advice would be greatly appreciated :)
It's a wheel size that sits between 26 and 29, some companies brand it as 27.5 but it's not exactly in the middle. The theory behind it is the same as that for 29ers, a larger wheel will roll faster and over objects easier than a 26. While a 29er would do this better using that logic, it's not as manoeuvrable, hence 650b which is meant to be the best of both worlds.

In current times XC bikes will be 29, DH 650b and all mountain/enduro will be either 650b or 29. DJ's are basically the only genre that are still exclusively 26 (very unlikely to change) with 26 very rarely still being the standard for all other disciplines although some frames are designed to fit 26 or 650b.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
It's important that you understand that 29ers are fucking stupid. :llama:

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
It's a marketing gimmick, designed to obsolete 26 and part fools with their hard earned. Usually strongly pushed by *giant* companies who are too lazy or don't want to invest in the groundwork/R+D into developing decent 29ers. Recently some other more *specialized* companies have developed 650B bikes as a cynical marketing ploy despite writing them off over many years. :behindsofa:

650B=27.5 (or near enough :p)

Last edited:

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
But how many enduros can i buy with 650?
If you already have a wardrobe full of shit bright coloured mismatching kit, wear goggles with an open face helmet, wear a camelback for rides under 10km, ride a bike with far too much travel and far too slack angles on the most basic of xc trails thinking your the gnar, you'll probably get all the enduros under sponsorship and wont need to spend any of your 650.