6way vs. 5th

Mason

Likes Dirt
What is your opinions on these 2wo shocks, im looking to getting eaither or, anything beats fox. Lets hear from people who have RODE the shock, not looked at it

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i've got a 5th and reckon it's the business! Makes a 9" travel bike pedal in ways I never thought possible. Adjustment is great and the way it ramps up is brilliant. It's very hard to tell if you bottom the shock, doesnt just go bang like my old one (shockworks) did. I've only briefly ridden a 6 way swinger but it felt much the same as the 5th to me.
I must admit I was pretty sceptical of 5ths when they came out, I was so so wrong :oops:

MUNGUS

Pro Rider
i have the 6 way and i love it. the seal on the swinger is not as tight as that on the 5th element which means that it has a lot smoother action than the 5th but it does need to be rebuilt a little bit more often. even so i reckon the swinger is a better shock because it is smoother and answer manitou aus. are good people and will service the shock quickly when it needs to be rebuilt

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Haven't had extended time on either. But i have read that the swingers feel more lively. I really couldn't tell the differance between the two, they both resist bobbing and absorb hits when you hit something.

What bike is it going on and what are you using it for. racing, freeriding, jumping??

Personally, I'd say go an avy, i have used one for over a year and it beats everything hands down. Unfortuantly, the avy doesn't fit my new bike so i won't be able to use it anymore :cry:

Mason

Likes Dirt
Cave Dweller said:
Personally, I'd say go an avy
Haha, i think im gonna stay away from that. Im only debating over these shock because i can them them for about $400 new

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
I have a 5th and i have ridden both. I'd say the manitou definately feels more active, but they don't seem to have the same quality control as a 5th element -or last as long. The manitou is also easier to adjust, but at the same token, is easier to blow too. The pedalling platform doesn't seem to be as significant on the swinger either.

MUNGUS

Pro Rider
Daver said:
The pedalling platform doesn't seem to be as significant on the swinger either.
how can you say that when the platform is completely adjustable?? if it felt insignificant then you just put some more air in until you think it is making a difference. as for being easier to blow, i don't agree with that either. i have owned two swingers now and i have never blown one. i have had them rebuilt many times for regular maintainence, they need to be done every few months or so but i have never blown one.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
MUNGUS said:
Daver said:
The pedalling platform doesn't seem to be as significant on the swinger either.
how can you say that when the platform is completely adjustable?? if it felt insignificant then you just put some more air in until you think it is making a difference. as for being easier to blow, i don't agree with that either. i have owned two swingers now and i have never blown one. i have had them rebuilt many times for regular maintainence, they need to be done every few months or so but i have never blown one.
you blew up coopers? and the reason you used that was because you blew up yours? Thats what i was told by Andrew.

MUNGUS

Pro Rider
not true. i didn't use mine because the spv valve was sticky or something and it wasn't working too well. i didn't blow up coopers either, i wound one of the screws too far and some oil leaked out, still worked fine and i raced on it after that had happened but i got it rebuilt anyway cos it was coopers shock not mine so it would have been cheap to leave it like that.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
MUNGUS said:
not true. i didn't use mine because the spv valve was sticky or something and it wasn't working too well. i didn't blow up coopers either, i wound one of the screws too far and some oil leaked out, still worked fine and i raced on it after that had happened but i got it rebuilt anyway cos it was coopers shock not mine so it would have been cheap to leave it like that.
Aaah. what is the difference between blowing and leaking oil? i always thought that the sealing was blown once oil started leaking.

MUNGUS

Pro Rider
no this was a tiny bit of oil which came out from the low or high speed compression dial. if u wind them too far in they do that but you wind back out again and it stops. the shock was not blown

MUNGUS

Pro Rider
answer manitou only have one office thing in australia and its in melbourne so everything gets sent there but if ur in sydney we can rebuild them at St.Ives Cycles, we have all the proper tools and oils for it and have rebuilt a lot of them. i can't remeber how much a rebuild costs though.