7 speed - old skool stylee

ers

Likes Dirt
I like doing things the hard way. (I'm the Avalanche fixer
Picked up a rooted MT220 (24") for my son. WD40 special.
He loves it but the components are going to fall apart.
I think I'm answering the questions in my head as I type.
I want him to ride 1xsomething (He's the kind of kid who overthinks)
It's a 3x7
I've disengaged the front derailleur, so effectively 1x7 for now
Do I get a good 7 speed rear derailleur and shifter and go proper 1x7?
OR
Change to new rear wheel - 9/10 cassette? Then 1x9/10?
He's 9 and should have this for a good few years
Oh, the front forks still bounce but are f----ed.... they slosh.
Get on to that later
ers

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Moorey has built up a few kids bikes recently. Check out his pyr threats to get some ideas.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I like doing things the hard way. (I'm the Avalanche fixer
Picked up a rooted MT220 (24") for my son. WD40 special.
He loves it but the components are going to fall apart.
I think I'm answering the questions in my head as I type.
I want him to ride 1xsomething (He's the kind of kid who overthinks)
It's a 3x7
I've disengaged the front derailleur, so effectively 1x7 for now
Do I get a good 7 speed rear derailleur and shifter and go proper 1x7?
OR
Change to new rear wheel - 9/10 cassette? Then 1x9/10?
He's 9 and should have this for a good few years
Oh, the front forks still bounce but are f----ed.... they slosh.
Get on to that later
ers
Why not? The good 7 speed stuff is on sale at the moment.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...EZ4fawAaEpYhLRnIeMxdYaAgdX8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Alternatively...throw out a total budget for the project and current parts, issues, and so on to the wolves and get some help from the start rather than get stuck mid-project with an expensive dud.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Any derailleur short of 10-sp. is fine with a 7 or 8-sp. shifter (7 & 8 use the same sprocket spacing & therefore index points, 8 just pulls an extra gear's worth of cable so you just use the derailleur limit screws to lock out the 8th gear point). Regardless of whether the cluster is a screw-on freewheel or a cassette, you will need a new wheel to fit any more than 7-sp. Also if contemplating going down the more gears route, measure the dropout spacing first!!! Some 7-sp. bikes are only 126mm spacing, and everything else that's not through-axle will be 135mm and won't fit!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
All I deducted from those two threads is that Moorey is hopeless managing birthday timelines :boink:

ers

Likes Dirt
Why not? The good 7 speed stuff is on sale at the moment.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...EZ4fawAaEpYhLRnIeMxdYaAgdX8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Alternatively...throw out a total budget for the project and current parts, issues, and so on to the wolves and get some help from the start rather than get stuck mid-project with an expensive dud.
Good point.
I am working on 2 theories
1 - it's not for me (think of the children) so I can spend lots!!!
2 - dribs and drabs
Final bike for him - over time .... how do I know you're not my wife who logged on years before I got interested in riding and created a fake profile!!!
V brakes are fine - just general maintenance
Will need new fork
Will need new rear derailleur soon, plus shifter old one is twisty style
I am sure he will continue to ride, so it is worth investing in
Fork can come later
Plus we are selling his bmx
soo...
Just got Duckmeister's comment
Starting to think - keep it simple, good 7 speed RD plus shifter
150$ish$
????????

ers

Likes Dirt
just found chain reaction 7 speed sale under $40 AUD
looking good
oh no... need to spend more for free delivery

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are going to get a new derailleur get one that will cope with 1x9 and switch it to a new bike when you upgrade to the next size. If you need a new wheel to go to 9spd don't bother for now. My 2 have used standard 24" 3x7 almost exclusively in the middle ring (pseudo 1x7) and it's been fine for most riding, but we haven't done a lot of off road climbing.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Good point.
I am working on 2 theories
1 - it's not for me (think of the children) so I can spend lots!!!
2 - dribs and drabs
Final bike for him - over time .... how do I know you're not my wife who logged on years before I got interested in riding and created a fake profile!!!
V brakes are fine - just general maintenance
Will need new fork
Will need new rear derailleur soon, plus shifter old one is twisty style
I am sure he will continue to ride, so it is worth investing in
Fork can come later
Plus we are selling his bmx
soo...
Just got Duckmeister's comment
Starting to think - keep it simple, good 7 speed RD plus shifter
150$ish$
????????
$150ish? You could put a full zee drive on for around that much. Used gear from here will be much cheaper.

And check the hub sizing as duckstar says. That will dictate the future real fast.

How old is this kid? 24 inch isn't going to last for long if he grows. Plus of he is like most other teenagers he is almost 99% likely to go jump mad, even if he can't jump. So will your build survive?

ers

Likes Dirt
I think $150 was the vino talking. Hence I have an unconcious rule of no impulse/drink purchasing.
Should be able to get by on $60 for both (plus some new pedals for dad)
5 years wear then a new bike
ers

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If you are going to get a new derailleur get one that will cope with 1x9 ....
As I said before, anything short of 10-sp. (and by extension 11-sp.) is fine, the leverage ratio is the same for 9-&-less-sp. so any combination of shifter & derailleur will work, as long as the shifter is for the right number of gears, although you can use an 8-sp. shifter on 7-sp. 'cos the spacing is the same.

I should (but shouldn't need to) add the standard Shimano/SRAM shifter & derailleur incompatibility caveat applies.

ers

Likes Dirt
As I said before, anything short of 10-sp. (and by extension 11-sp.) is fine, the leverage ratio is the same for 9-&-less-sp. so any combination of shifter & derailleur will work, as long as the shifter is for the right number of gears, although you can use an 8-sp. shifter on 7-sp. 'cos the spacing is the same.

I should (but shouldn't need to) add the standard Shimano/SRAM shifter & derailleur incompatibility caveat applies.
ahhhh... I happen to have an old Alivio 9spd and a deore lx 9 speed lying around - lucky boy
thanks
ers

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
But are we any closer to a project brief? Or is this going off the radar and...slide into a messy oblivion?

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Don't some of them struggle with the bigger cogs on the cassette though (32/34 teeth)?

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
34 is fine with anything 8/9-sp. and all but the shittiest 6/7-sp., but only Shadow type will fit 36.
I found this out with a recent upgrade for No1's 'new' bike. Shimano tech docs said the existing 8spd wouldn't cope with the 11-34 cassette, but it does - and still running the 8spd chain because I couldn't find the chain breaker at the time I switched it, and haven't had time to complete the task.

ers

Likes Dirt
But are we any closer to a project brief? Or is this going off the radar and...slide into a messy oblivion?
I am going to let him destroy the 7speed derailleur then put the 9 speed on
then (Hubs permitting) move him up to 9 speed cassette
with some slight tinkering so that he appreciates the changes as opposed to throwing it all at him at once
eg let him realise how shit the old pedals are so when he gets the new ones he enjoys them
ers