888 RC2X seal removal

Hey all!

So finally got round to servicing my old 06 888's on my D-Eight
Stripping them was easy enough, until I had to get the rubber seals out. They seem to have ceased somehow in the lowers(as they haven't been serviced in years).
I've tried boiling water over the lowers and rubber part hoping to soften them enough but no luck.
Any ideas or tips for getting them out?

Cheers,
Adam

Hey all!

Stripping them was easy enough, until I had to get the rubber seals out. They seem to have ceased somehow in the lowers(as they haven't been serviced in years).
I've tried boiling water over the lowers and rubber part hoping to soften them enough but no luck.

Cheers,
Adam
Do you have new seals ready to go in?
Could possibly try some penetrating lube like WD40 and use a thing blade screwdriver very carefully. Maybe put some masking tape over the end of the screwdriver, and pry them out

binner

Hath shat hymself
3 ring circus

Hey all!

Cheers,
Adam
have you tried the ring spanner on them yet?.. failing that you can start to hack at the inside of the seal with some nice sized side cutters to reef them out, it's messy but it works.Ring spanner is the go though.....
good luck with it.... :smile-new:

udi

swiss cheese
Each leg has a wiper and an oil seal below it. The wiper is pressed in, a flat blade screwdriver or shifter will pop it out.

Below the wiper should be a retaining circlip (if I remember correctly.. it's been ages) which must be removed before you can remove the oil seal. Probably stating the obvious here, but the circlip could be stopping them from coming out if you're going for the lot at once.

A large shifter works well too. Just use some rubber or an old tube to protect the lip of the fork that you lever against.

binner

Hath shat hymself
spring steel like your chest

Each leg has a wiper and an oil seal below it. The wiper is pressed in, a flat blade screwdriver or shifter will pop it out.

Below the wiper should be a retaining circlip (if I remember correctly.. it's been ages) which must be removed before you can remove the oil seal. Probably stating the obvious here, but the circlip could be stopping them from coming out if you're going for the lot at once.

A large shifter works well too. Just use some rubber or an old tube to protect the lip of the fork that you lever against.
its called a "spring retaining clip"

Awesome!
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone :)

Yeah all new seals and bushings are ready to go straight in.
Haha I have already taken to them with a pair of pliers and removed most of the rubber, and the giant circlip thing which I cant remember what its called now, but the metal strip in the dust seal is still in place.
Before work this morning I smashed a whole heap of WD40 around it so hopefully that'll help a bit, see how it goes tonight.

And thanks cobba, I already have that. It says just use a screwdriver which isnt working.

binner

Hath shat hymself
burn in hell

use your lazer beam eyes, that always works for me.............. but make sure you dont melt the Mg, it is an earth metal remember!.

use your lazer beam eyes, that always works for me.............. but make sure you dont melt the Mg, it is an earth metal remember!.
I totally forgot about those!
They will certainly come in handy re-assembling though, haha no idea what i'm even doing :dizzy:

Thanks to udi for suggesting using a shifter as well! They more or less just fell out when I stuck it in there...

binner

Hath shat hymself
Gpa

I totally forgot about those!
They will certainly come in handy re-assembling though, haha no idea what i'm even doing :dizzy:

Thanks to udi for suggesting using a shifter as well! They more or less just fell out when I stuck it in there...
That's why he is going to uni,udi...hahhh see that uni udi