9" Rotors???

woodyjbh

Likes Dirt
Pretty simple quiery....

Is there such a thing as 9" rotors and is it possible to get them with adaptors to suit codes??

Wood

S.

ex offender
Yes there is, and yes standard post-mount adaptors (which Codes use, as well as pretty well everything else these days) are available for all the common DH fork setups. I have a 224mm/9" Hayes rotor, they're supposedly available through Dirt Works (weren't when I asked but they are/were in the catalog) but I got mine direct from a Hayes team rider. Formula also make 220mm rotors and adaptors to suit. Hope make 9" rotors but I think the adaptor may only be for a Mono M6 on Fox 40s or something weird like that. All of the above are sold by CRC.

Edit:
Formula 220mm
Hayes V9
Hope 9"

Last edited:

Grantieboy

Likes Dirt
why the fuck would you want 9 inch rotors with codes they are already powerful enough to stop a truck or a kona stinky.:p

S.

ex offender
why the fuck would you want 9 inch rotors with codes they are already powerful enough to stop a truck or a kona stinky.:p
Some people are coordinated and dextrous enough to be able to have more powerful brakes without dying. Also, larger rotors do a better job of dissipating heat, making it less likely that you'll glaze your brake pads over - which is a problem with ANY brake, regardless of how powerful it is.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
here's a question.. why the hell do you need codes & then 9" rotors?

stop riding your bloody brakes!

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Last edited:

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes there is, and yes standard post-mount adaptors (which Codes use, as well as pretty well everything else these days) are available for all the common DH fork setups. I have a 224mm/9" Hayes rotor, they're supposedly available through Dirt Works (weren't when I asked but they are/were in the catalog) but I got mine direct from a Hayes team rider. Formula also make 220mm rotors and adaptors to suit. Hope make 9" rotors but I think the adaptor may only be for a Mono M6 on Fox 40s or something weird like that. All of the above are sold by CRC.

Edit:
Formula 220mm
Hayes V9
Hope 9"
Yeah DW has them as far as i know. Just a qn, i may be wrong, but cant you run any disc with any caliper as long as the pads suit? and the mounts obvioulsy.

H

>Henry

Yeah DW has them as far as i know. Just a qn, i may be wrong, but cant you run any disc with any caliper as long as the pads suit? and the mounts obvioulsy.
You need pads to suit rotor sizes? I didn't know that, are you sure?

fairy1

Banned
Red Raven used to be the big rotor people they had a 10" rotor. Just tried to connect to their site, guess they went broke.

Kezza dawG

Likes Dirt
seriously if you need codes and 9inch rotors you should look at wether you actually like downhill or your m8 rekn its sic so you do it but are 2 scared to go fast. im getting 7 inch rotors for my codes because i dont need 8inch power.

Jimass

Eats Squid
Not really....^^^

It's not that 8 inch gives you power more so the heat dissapassion (Sp?) that a bigger rotor gives you.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A big thing to check out is wether the forks you are going to be running said pie plate sized rotors on is rated to handle that much leverage.

Snapping mounts or even lowers can end badly.

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!
i think bigger rotors gives you better modulation, heat dispersion (so your fluid does boil) and, not to mention, more power.

to the people that are saying, "Wy Da HeLl DO ya needs dat MuCh poWeR? OMGOdzzz!"
its their choice if they want want heeps of power and they are good a not locking up the wheels... why not?
i would do it

i don't see the point of running brake-less, but you don't see me pestering the people that do run brakel-ess.. "omg get sum brakes!! blah blah blah"

Jimass

Eats Squid
i think bigger rotors gives you better modulation, heat dispersion (so your fluid doesn't boil) and, not to mention, more power.

to the people that are saying, "Wy Da HeLl DO ya needs dat MuCh poWeR? OMGOdzzz!"
its their choice if they want want heeps of power and they are good a not locking up the wheels... why not?
i would do it

i don't see the point of running brake-less, but you don't see me pestering the people that do run brakel-ess.. "omg get sum brakes!! blah blah blah"
I think thats better.

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're really keen mate some company had a stand at Eurobike with a hub and brake setup that allowed you to run 2 discs, one on each side of the hub...coupled with two 8 piston calipers. Insane. Don't know how they conquer the lack of a right side brake mount on forks but it'd be hellishly effective braking setup. I second Powley too. The question he asked was 'can you get 9 inch rotors?' not 'am i an idiot for wanting more power?'.

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
Not really....^^^

It's not that 8 inch gives you power more so the heat dissapassion (Sp?) that a bigger rotor gives you.

power, iuno, however quicker, yes....as a 8" in larger in diameter obviously than a 6" disc, so it is further away from the center of rotation. The same amount of disc passes between the pads no matter what size rotor to stop the wheel, its just it doesn't rotate as much being a larger rotor, hence the wheel not rotating as much, hence quicker, if that makes sense ;)