9 speed rear Derailleur

DJR

Likes Dirt
Yup. As long as the shifter is 8spd, there is no diff between a 9sp derailleur and an 8sp

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
Just make sure that the high/low set screws are adjusted correctly!
You should be sweet!
A derail. isn't 'indexed' as such, there isnt an 8spd or 9spd for example, and with a 8 spd shifter and 8 spd casette you shouldnt have probs as the width of a 8 spd and 9 spd casette is the same. So the derailluer itself wont over shift or double shift for example.

I was under the impression only adjust set screws when having something like a 9 spd shifter with 8 spd casette so when your in 8th and accidently click down releasing the cable tension it wont bounce in between the dropout and casette.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah it will work no probs with a 9 speed shifter/der and 8 speed cassette just adjust the limit screws.

matty hall

Likes Dirt
you can use any deralier with any mount of sprokts. i wss running an 8 speed deralier with 4 gears and a chase neutral gear.

cheers

BM Epic

Eats Squid
A derail. isn't 'indexed' as such, there isnt an 8spd or 9spd for example, and with a 8 spd shifter and 8 spd casette you shouldnt have probs as the width of a 8 spd and 9 spd casette is the same. So the derailluer itself wont over shift or double shift for example.

I was under the impression only adjust set screws when having something like a 9 spd shifter with 8 spd casette so when your in 8th and accidently click down releasing the cable tension it wont bounce in between the dropout and casette.
Yeah you are right,it would only need adjusting with 9spd shifter,8spd wont let it shift any further!

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Chain Thickness?

Sorry to "rebirth" the thread but I've got a question relevant to the original topic and thought it would be better than creating a new one.

Clearly it's possible to run a 9 speed derailleur on 8 speed shifters, as the amount of travel can be controlled by the limit screws, but what about the chain thickness?

Doesn't the thicker 8 speed chain have an impact on the derailleur or is it too small to worry about?

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Nah, you see one 'click' on an 8 speed shifter moves the derailleur a greater distance then a 'click' on a 9 speed for the very reason that the spacing is smaller on a 9 speed. I believe from memory, the cogs are still the same size but the chain is narrower to fit between them.

An 8 speed cassette and a 9 speed cassette have the same overall width (as they fit onto the same sized hub)...thus, the end cogs are going to be in the exact same position as the 9 speed thus making the limit screws a little irrelevant (I think...I never had to reset them when I went from 8-9 speeds) BUT in regards to your comment about the width of each cog, it will take more umpf to shift so you use the barrel adjuster to increase/decrease the tension in the cable (fine tune). (Im typing as I think here...) Because each cog is ramped, the chain will easily glide onto the next cog and the difference is in that fine tuning, rather then the limit screws. I think that made sense...

TheLunchbox

Likes Dirt
Sorry to "rebirth" the thread but I've got a question relevant to the original topic and thought it would be better than creating a new one.

Clearly it's possible to run a 9 speed derailleur on 8 speed shifters, as the amount of travel can be controlled by the limit screws, but what about the chain thickness?

Doesn't the thicker 8 speed chain have an impact on the derailleur or is it too small to worry about?
I use a shimano HG chain which is a 7/8 speed chain and I upgraded my rear derailuer to a deore 9 speed It all seems fine! But did require some fine tuning with the limit screws and the cable tension!
when fitting. other than that everything seems fine when shifting!

Last edited:

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Guys. Great responses.

I guess I'm in the same situation as every other guy out there who wants to upgrade their 8 speed components but quickly found out that the Alivio was the highest 8 speed Shimano offered. Now I have to admit that my current Alivio derailleur is about 5 years old and has done a bloody good job as I commute daily and go for a decent ride on the weekend, but I'd like something less clunky, a bit lighter and to be vain, a bit flashier.

Thanks for the help and I'll see you out there.

Cheers,

Coaster

TheLunchbox

Likes Dirt

I guess I'm in the same situation as every other guy out there who wants to upgrade their 8 speed components but quickly found out that the Alivio was the highest 8 speed Shimano offered. Now I have to admit that my current Alivio derailleur is about 5 years old and has done a bloody good job as I commute daily and go for a decent ride on the weekend, but I'd like something less clunky, a bit lighter and to be vain, a bit flashier.

Cheers,

Coaster
yeah I didnt like the look of the alvio, and when Dirt jumping It use to Clunk around. The deore looks 100% better and doesnt clunk around nowhere near as much!!!

AngoXC

Wheel size expert

Cheers,

Coaster
You can upgrade the derailleur to a 9 speed (Deore spec+)...it wont make any difference as I said before, it still needs to cover the same distance (between max limits) as a 9 speed cassette. The only issue you will have is the shifter. Highest spec currently is Alivio for shifters...(and the older SL MC-20 shifters...still around Alivio spec)...you might be able to enquire as to the current status of an LX/XTish spec 8 speed shifter shimano brought out a while ago...dunno if they still make them (buggers like Wombat picked up the last ones!) but its worth a shot...look exactly like the XT SL760 shifters but with no actual label...and 8 speed.