9 speed saint derailer with 10 speed XTR shifter

Shredden

Knows his goats
Thanks anyways mate but that is from 2008. Back in the day before Mr 8 speed fucked Ms 9 speed and had a son named Mr 10sp.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it wont work theo, the problem is that the amount the 10speed xtr shifter pulls/releases the cable is a different amount than the 9speed saint mech you have. its because the 10speed cassette fits on a 9speed free hub therefor the gap between cogs is more narrow, thus why you need a 10speed chain etc.

so 9speed specific all round or 10speed all round etc, if you follow.

can get more into it if you like. grab me on facebook

fragile

Squid
What cassette do you have? If the cassette/shifter match (ie both 10sp) there shouldn't be a problem.

because the 10speed cassette fits on a 9speed free hub therefor the gap between cogs is more narrow
...and the 10sp shifter therefor pulls less cable for the derailer to move the smaller distance. The same as how 8/9 speed derailers are the same, the shifter pulled the derailer less for the narrower 9 speed chain/cassette spacing on the 8 speed freehub.

Of course, given how the whole bike industry now seems determined to eliminate all compatibilty between everything, there probably is some diffenece to force you to replace everything.

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
Similar to what he said ^^^ either use a 9 speed cassette with your 9sp shifter.

Or use a 10sp set up back, it'll work but you'll never get the gears working right. You'll always be really out of tune either high or low end of your gears. You can usually tune it to have your most used gears pretty spot on though.

rone

Eats Squid
Dyna Sys uses a 20-30% greater pull ratio to 9 speed so it absolutely won't work. The little arm on the rear derailleur that the outer slots into is designed to give increased leverage and leads to a lighter shift action. Wait until the new 2013 Saint comes out.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Okay, how about this then.

I rode an XC bike with dyna sys XT 10 speed the other day and I loved the shifters. I like that you can shift up 2 at a time and I liked how it felt. Does 9sp XT have this feature of being able to shift up 2 at a time?

muvro

Likes Dirt
Doesn't work. I

had XT 10 speed on my rallon, took the shifter off to replace with XTR 9 speed, and swapped the rear cassette to XT 9 speed. But the rear mech wouldn't shift properly. On closer inspection, the lever arm that the wire is bolted to is different. As said, it defo won't work.