9 speed shifter on 8 speed cassette?

antstep

Likes Bikes
swapping out a death trap shimano alvio shifter... new cassette in 8, and new 8 chain...

there's very little decent options on 8 speed shifters. so i'm looking toward SRAM 9 speed... will this be an issue? or will i just have one useless click down the fast end on the cassette? or will i change up into my spokes?

on the strength on the X-0 shifter on my big bike, i'm looking at X.9? tick of approval?

thanks peeps.

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Unfortunatly you wont be able to use SRAM with Shimano in that sence unless you look into the 'SRAM Attack' series of shifter. Shimano and SRAM have different ratios, hence they dont work unless you use the Attack shifters, especially designed for Shimano and other rear derailleurs.

Consider Deore/LX/XT shifters or maybe visit some local bike shops...they are bound to have an older XT 8 speed shifter around. Otherwise, the 8 speed Attack shifters should be perfect.

9 speed shifters will work on 8 speed cassettes but the shifting quality will be fairly average. The extra click wont send your derailleur into your spokes as the over all length of the cassette isnt changing...the limits will stay the same...the only difference is the amount of cable the shifter lets through with each 'click' which is suitable for 9 speed and the spacing between gears at the back, but 8 speed have larger spacing to compensate for the lost gear, hence its a little sluggish for getting in, but it works. I think that made sence...

Last edited:

Dicky

Punter God
there's very little decent options on 8 speed shifters.
Last I checked, Shimano still did an LX/XT-ish level 8 speed shifter set, looks similar to the pre-2007 XT stuff, only without a logo.

Don't bother trying to rig up some mismatch of 8 & 9 speed parts, the relevant shifters pull different amounts of cable per shift.
Yeah, it's bugger all, but it's enough to cause you perpetual adjustment headaches and possibly the odd blown knee.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Last I checked, Shimano still did an LX/XT-ish level 8 speed shifter set, looks similar to the pre-2007 XT stuff, only without a logo.
They are fairly hard to come by. Im still searching!...I believe the model is SL-570 or something like that. Best bet is eBay I think...only place Ive ever seen them...

wombat

Lives in a hole
They are fairly hard to come by. Im still searching!...I believe the model is SL-570 or something like that. Best bet is eBay I think...only place Ive ever seen them...
SL-M748 is what's currently listed.
For a while Shimano Aus. had XT 8spd shifters in stock, long after they were apparently "discontinued"' I got a set of them a while back, probably about 2005?

Anyway, they don't do them anymore, but they were replaced by those non-badged XT/LX units. I've ordered a few sets for customers over the last 12 months, but they seem to be out of stock at the moment. I remember getting silver ones previously too, although now they've only got black listed.
If you're after some, give them a call (or get you LBS to do so) and find out when they're expecting stock back in.

Last edited:

antstep

Likes Bikes
big ups

that was a big help. thanks heaps. 8 speed is a bit of a headache hey.

do shimano shifters not work on SRAM rear mechs then as well? and do you need a specific 8 speed rear der. or is a 9 speed rear der. exactly the same?

peace.