98' VPS1 Again

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
time to update this my "post your ride" again.

Frame: ’98 Norco VPS1 (small)
Fork: White Brothers UD150 (6”)
Shock: rockshox Pro Deluxe
Front wheel: Sun Singletrack, Some hub…
Rear wheel: mavic 521 on bolt-up shimano disc hub
Brakes: imperial mechanical disc brakes (dhdirect ones) shimano DX levers RED
stem: BILT busta 40mm
handlebar: BILT redneck
Grips: intense/oury
Rear deraileur: Shimano XTR
Shifter: Shimano XTR
Cranks: Truvativ Husselfelt
Tyres: intense
Chainguide: custom made, single roller MRP(ish) copy
Pedals: BILT zed pedals

Thats about all of it... so far it's cost me around about $1500.
Al i need now is a new BB and hydro's

Attachments

Last edited:

Dougy

Likes Dirt
Good to hear people still enjoying older bikes. My wife just got into DH over the past summer and is riding a 98 FSR Pro with a BETD link giving it 6" in the back, 6" Sherman Sliders, 8" Hayes 9s,and X7 drivetrain. She loves the bike and wouldn't part with it.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are the pictures. I don't have more at this time, but i might put up some new ones soon...
they should have gone up when i submitted the thread, but they wouldn't atach for some reason, and i'd thought the thread didn't go through either, so i just left it...

This old bike works pretty well. It's hardly performs like a new one, but better than some i have ridden. Much better than a local AC, and as nice, if not better than a 2004? Norco drop.

I'm interested to know, who else has owned, or has on of these frames.
I have 2 of the same frame (except one is a large, and is enormous)
Some guy on the street told me he has one the same (frame) and i was told by a mate that he'd seen one rolling around at a bmx track...

floody

Wheel size expert
Wow, cool in a vintage kind of way!
Not many of those have survived; every one I knew of personally had cracked around the BB area and/or head tube junction, and/or seat tower to main frame joint...
They didn't handle badly back then, those forks are about perfect in terms of length and stuff for that. I think that bike may even be a '97.

Roly

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thats a mean looking front brake adapter uve got there

good to see it still running :)

125matt

Likes Dirt
98' eh damn thats old skool so glad to see it running still always knew norco made their frames well
nice bike

Atomikryder

Likes Dirt
wow i didn't know that (proper) downhill bike were around in those days but if i sewen that in 98' i would have thought it was the best bike ever. Better than the apollo hardtail but made to look like a dualy.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
floody said:
I think that bike may even be a '97.
Did norco make a VPS in '97?
Because it's so old i haven't been able to find any info on it at all (original specs, year, price. etc)
I've been told that the year after it was green/had a green rear end and came with a big fork (monster t?)
It's ridden well while i've had it. i had an issue with bottoming out, but the prodeluxe shock fixed that (just needed a little more compression damping)

The only things i don't like about this bike (frame) are that it has silly sable routes (it has cable stops, so the outer casing was meant to be split) i drilled mine out to run full length outers, but this may need to be done again when i get some hydro brakes to accomodate for the thicker brake line.
The other thing i don't like about it are the linkage plates. they need to be curved or shaped to put the shock on more of an angle from the ground (2001 teamshore plates are what is needed, but these are too expensive for me)

floody

Wheel size expert
Live2DieTrying said:
Did norco make a VPS in '97?
Because it's so old i haven't been able to find any info on it at all (original specs, year, price. etc)
Yeah I'm not even sure any more! Actually...Yeah, must be '98 , I was getting it confused with the Norco "Bomber" which was their first big travel (hehe) dually, it came out the year the bombers did so '97... The green VPS1 was '99 with the monsters, so yep, must be '98. And I think '98 is the year the Marzocchi jnr. T came out and that would have been its original fork. Some mates had them when they were a new bike.
I recall I was very impressed by those things when I was 16, haha.

Last edited:

mad greek

Likes Dirt
hahahaha god I feel old now.. All these questions about if the VPS was around in 98 etc, makes me feel ancient in the MTB world!

Yes the VPS1 was around in 98, it was the first in 98 (along with the Avanti copy) to actually look half decent too.

Great bikes, still glad theyre being ridden! :D

Theo

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was told recently that Norco own/owned avanti/they were the same company, and they both released bikes almost identical (avanti had a bold on seat mast) but they shared the same main body and rear end (the avanti saw the same had a hayes direct mount, which looked a little odd to me seeing i'd never heard of one, let alone seen one...)

My front brake adapter is pretty dodgy/"ghetto" but it does the job. the front wheel i'm using i have borrowed from a friend, and we couldn't break the seal of the locktite on the rotor bolts, so i had to find some way of using his rotor... took me about half an hour with the drill and the dremel tool, works like a proper one, cost me nothing as i had the aluminium lying around (not sure what series it is though, but it's pretty tough)

UI've been looking through reviews and specs of the Norco bomber, and it looks as if i have most of the original parts from it lying around here... (i got my bike second hand, and the seller wanted to get rid of 2 at once (1 large and 1 small) i got them both because the second one was jst being thrown in for nothing.. So i have the original formula brake, lx cranks, xt and xtr shifting (using none of these things)

I have afeeling that something funny has happened in the past with one of these bikes... see one of them has disc tabs and the other doesn't... but they both have the same main body, links and rear end... i'm thinking that the rear end without the disc tabs is from the "bomber" (which may have had a cracked/broken main boday and been replaced with the later VPS1 front...)
The swingarm/rear end without the disc tabs is also a little darker orange...

When i got these bikes i didn't ask much about thier history, so info on these is really exciting to me. (when i got it, it had a junior T (1997 model!) how i wish it'd had a mr.t, even just for it's name (i've head they were/are a great fork though))

Derek Yates

Soul Rider
VPS History

Hey All,

Just to clear things up Norco and Avanti have nothing to do with one another. Norco are Canadian and Avanti are from New Zealand. On the bikes that were similar they used the same frame builder in Taiwan. As many people have commented the actual implementation is different on each bike but share the same basic structure. The Avanti's stopped being made and Norco evolved the design right up to 2004. There were a couple of other bikes with a similar look around those years including the 'Saracen' bikes in the UK and the Barracuda bikes in the US. None of those were around for long.

Back to the start. The first 'Bomber' (pre-VPS) came out in 1997. It had a 4" Original Orange Z1 Bomber (with formula disc tabs on both sides!). It was pretty hardcore for it's time with 4-6" rear with a Risse air shock and an Easton tube set. It had dual Magura Rim brakes, Raceface cranks, Gripshift and Panaracer 'Duster' tyres. Certainly an interesting bike for it's day. Sadly they used a unique clamping system to hold the rear shock and most (if not all) of those failed at that point. A mint one might be worth something one day! Total bike weight 28 pounds. And that was considered a big heavy bike in those days.

There were more budget versions of the same bike called the LOBOS. There is also an old bike called the Tango that had a very familiar frame design to others around at the time. These all look pretty average from todays point of view.

1998 saw the first VPS1. This beast had Jr T forks (not sure if this was before or after the stauntion tubes were joined???) with a massive 110mm travel (including sag!). It had a Formula 6" Hydro Disc at the front, XTR rear v-brake and no disc mounts. It came with the wonderful Rock Shox Couple Deluxe shock and put out 4-5.5" travel. Kit was finished off with a CNC stem, BIG RED DX pedals, Bomber orange Race Face cranks, ESP (!!!) deraileurs, gripshift, Rhyno Lite Rims and those Duster tyres again. Total weight was 32 pounds.

The next couple of pages in the catalogue have some beautiful XC rigs that would still be a blast to ride today (ok so maybe they'd be a bit old skool and that ESP.... shudder).

In 1998 there were still some other VPS bikes that shared the old 'Bomber' frame.

1999 started the range of 'big' VPS bikes and the VPS 1 in that GREEN that everyone seems to be going back to! This was a big bike for it's time with Monster T's, a Fox rear shock (putting out 5.5-6.5" travel!), an 8" Hayes brake, Raceface DH cranks with some MASSIVE chainring (like a 48t!!), a Sun Ringle chainguide, DX Red Pedals, Magura 'Tomac' rim brake, Rhyno Lites, WTB Tyres, saddle and Red Ano headset and XTR/Gripshift. Complete bike was 40 pounds apparently.

2000 saw the explosion of VPS bikes (4 models) plus the first North Shore hardtail the Torrent. Lot's of Bomber forks, Hayes brakes, Fox Shocks, Sun Rims and Race Face cranks in 2000. Apart from a few dodgy graphics these bikes still look kinda cool today. The DH bike had that cool Maple leaf graphic, Monsters and DUAL disc brakes. And DEAR GOD it's still got a big chainring.

2001 was when the first 'Supercross' hardtails got added to the range with the awsome 250cc (26"/24", Cromo cranks, Easton RAD frame, dual disc, 100mm/20mm fork and a chainguide) and the popular 125cc.

After that I'm sure most people know what's been going on in Norco land.

For those interested the Norco site has an Archive section with some of those old bikes (www.norco.com).

Cheers,

Derek

Derek Yates

Soul Rider
97 Bomber

Live2DieTrying said:
. So i have the original formula brake, lx cranks, xt and xtr shifting (using none of these things)

I have afeeling that something funny has happened in the past with one of these bikes... see one of them has disc tabs and the other doesn't... but they both have the same main body, links and rear end... i'm thinking that the rear end without the disc tabs is from the "bomber" (which may have had a cracked/broken main boday and been replaced with the later VPS1 front...)
The swingarm/rear end without the disc tabs is also a little darker orange...
1997 Catalogue Spec on the Bomber:
Easton frame with Risse shock
Bomber Z1 100mm fork.
Tange DX2 Headset
Raceface Forged Cranks
Shimano BB
Axiom Clipless
Shimano Chain/Cass
Shim XT Deraileurs
Gripshift SRT 800 X-Ray
Titec Hellbent bar
Axiom Pro stem
Magura HS-22 Hydros
Deore LX hubs
Mavic 221 rims
Wheelsmith spokes (DB)
Panaracer Duster Kevlar Tyres
Selle Italia Future Saddle
Axiom Seatpost

None of the original 97 bikes had a disc mount of any kind. The 98's are not clear but don't look to have them in the catalogue either. By 99 the XCS single pivots came in with Disc mounts (not fitted) but there isn't anything from the 'Bomber' series with discs. The disc mount may have come on replacement swingarms after the warranty issues came up in the shock mount (just a guess - this predates my time at Norco).

I hope that helps.

-Derek