'99 boxxer 7" conversion kit

d-rudie

Likes Bikes
hey fellas.

anyone know of any companies that stock these kits in australia? have found a few stores that seem to offer the service, but all in the UK. has anyone had this done before? outcomes??

thanks for any replies :)

Regan

Eats Squid
I have made my old 99 Boxxer 7" travel. I got some 04 bushing installed. (They have a taller lower bush). I then removed the top out springs from the pistons and placed them on top of the springs. I also upped the oil height a bit. There was enough rebound to sow them down so they did not top out. They worked great!

Although, if you could get hold of some 7” pistons and maybe springs that would be the best.

d-rudie

Likes Bikes
so do you mean take the springs from off the compression and and rebound rods, and chuck them ontop of the main fork springs? then simply add a little more oil to act as the springs on the rods? is that right?

crozza

Likes Dirt
i use to have 6inch 99 boxxers and i was told that it was not possible which made cense

dhd

Downhill Direct
I reckon for the price you might as well just sell the 6 inch ones and hunt around for a 7 inch pair. They can be found pretty cheap.

Regan

Eats Squid
d-rudie said:
so do you mean take the springs from off the compression and and rebound rods, and chuck them ontop of the main fork springs? then simply add a little more oil to act as the springs on the rods? is that right?
Yes, that is right. But the extra oil is only there to give it better damping at the top of the stroke to stop them toping out. I think I ran about 115mm from the top of the upper tubes. Seemed to work great! The fork should end up with just over 170mm travel.

But you have to have the new 7" Boxxer bushings installed for it to work, as the bottom bushing is taller too allow the fork to be extended more.

d-rudie

Likes Bikes
dhd said:
I reckon for the price you might as well just sell the 6 inch ones and hunt around for a 7 inch pair. They can be found pretty cheap.
hmmm, yeah i was kinda thinking that too... how much do you reckon id get for them? seen any good 7 or 8 inchers for sale lately?

dammit, thats exactly wot i needed eh? :p

But you have to have the new 7" Boxxer bushings installed for it to work, as the bottom bushing is taller too allow the fork to be extended more.
hmm, i just recently (like 2 or 3 weeks) had the bushes replaced in the forks. reckon they would have put the ones your talking about in there? they took about 5 weeks to get in from the US somewhere...

thanks for the replies so far fellas

Regan

Eats Squid
The only other option is to get hold of any 7" Boxxer piston, working or not, and MOJO them. You only need the piston as a spacer as it doesn’t do any damping.

Also, I am buying “stacka’s” 02 Giant DH team, and it comes with some 7” Boxxer internals. I may be able to sell you some 7” pistons. You could then use your springs and ether make a spacer or use the top out springs from the 6” pistons.

Last edited: