A complaint about Farkin in AMB magazine

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
Just got the latest AMB magazine today, and on page 127/128 there is a complaint about our response to a question, about some trails in Sydney...

What do you guys think about this, are we too harsh?

P.S. Sorry Troy Blackmore!

Last edited:

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
Farked Over

Like a lot of mountain bikers I'm a user of Farkin.net, the online forum. I normally use it to try and sell me old gear and plan rides, but sometimes I venture onto the forums to see what people are chatting about. Or at least I did. After the crap that I copped after asking a perfectly innocent question about trails in the Sydney area I don't think I'll ever be using those forums again. If you're a forum user try to remember to have a little respect for your fellow riders. If you wouldn't say something to someone's face then don't say it on the forum. You wouldn't have a dig at a perfect stranger in real life, so don't do it online. You never know when you might run into someone on the trails...
And AMB replied with

Yeah, Farkin! Stick to writing-off Australias burgeoning mountain bike media, we love a good rap over the knuckles or a spoke in the eye.

mtb_champ

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i did a search... i couldnt find one :S anyone else got a thread the one above's name is Ben and the guy that made the complaint from Troy?

S.

ex offender
I think they're just sore because the admittedly poor average level of spelling on Farkin is still higher than anything in the Aus MTB media, and the "I heard fox 40s are the best you should buy them" posts in Parts n Stuff constitute a better product review than anything they've done. Oh well. Very kind of them to thank the site for its promotion of their magazine (and the rest of the Aussie MTB media) via our news section too.

Oh and if anyone from AMB is reading this, feel free to contact me personally about it if you feel I'm sticking a spoke in your eye.

Last edited:

Plow King

Little bit.
I wouldn't know, I don't read AMB anymore. I was going to start again but not after they shamefully put that in their magazine.

Farkin - Less xc content, It doesn't take a month to get a responce and it doesnt cost $7. I think I know which one I'm sticking with.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Hmm, most people seem to give props to Revolution and Clict around here. There is one overseas MTB magazine I'm a subscriber to (enough faith in them to purchase a 3 year subscription) and a second that I regularly buy every issue of, plus another 2 Australian ones (revolution and clict) that I also have nearly every issue of.

You never know, maybe the problem lies more with AMB than with Farkin?

(My own personal view, not one endorsed by the club I do volunteer trails advocacy work for)

CGR

Likes Dirt
And AMB replied with
AMB's dig at Farkin because of its ties to Revo maybe?
But i guess thats another story.
Still, i think its pretty petty and small of them to; 1. print a complaint about a website they have very little to do with, and as S. mentioned, one which actually features their magazine on the front page and 2. reply with a remark that is not only also small and petty, but could have been composed by a five year old.

If the thread posted by DJninja is the one mentioned in the letter, then i think it would be fair to say the guy was unnecessarily criticised but hardly an excptionally bad example.

Why can't we all just be friends?...........because that would make things boring

Last edited:

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
pfft....

Haha , one complaint in AMB about Farkin........versus thousands of complaints on Farkin about AMB.

They've got nothin'.

I also stopped buying their mag over a year ago. Don't think I've missed much....if anything.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Farkin.net has contributed to the Australian MTB scene over the years, so has AMB.

Farkin.net has objective and independent user and pro-rider product reviews.....

Farkin.net has instant news releases.....

Farkin.net provides an oportunity for riders to interact with riders, industry professionals and pro riders......

Farkin.net has global coverage.....

Farkin.net comes out every second of every day.....

Farkin.net is free......

Need I go on?

Now, I will be the first to admit Farkin is not devoid of internet heroes and keyboard tough guys. However, much of the time there is a a reason, as petty as that reason may sometimes be, why people react strongly to some threads posted. The first is that if the person had SEARCHED before they posted a new thread they more than likely would have found the info they were looking for. Secondly, simply lurking around the site and reading for a little while will give the average Joe/Josephine with an average IQ, an idea of how things work on internet forums. If people do this, they generally avoid any embarrassment. It's funny how tens of thousands of people can get along on this site with no issues but when one bloke/girl does have a problem it's anyone else's fault but their own!

Lastly, who the hell writes into a magazine to complain about copping a hard time on the internet. I mean seriously! :eek::confused::rolleyes:

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If your reading this, harden the f*ck up. Everyone gets ripped into every now and then. But you get over it. I partly agree though some people take it to far and don't remember what it was like when they were starting out.

This looks most likely to be the mentioned thread, it's the only one I could find that was semi abusive anyway.

http://www.farkin.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119343&highlight=sydney+jumps
Yeh thats the thread that came to my mind.

What ever AMB, no body listens to them anyway.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Farkin.net has contributed to the Australian MTB scene over the years, so has AMB.

Farkin.net has objective and independent user and pro-rider product reviews.....

Farkin.net provides an oportunity for riders to interact with riders, industry professionals and pro riders......

Farkin.net is free......

Need I go on?

Now, I will be the first to admit Farkin is not devoid of internet heroes and keyboard tough guys. However, much of the time there is a a reason, as petty as that reason may sometimes be, why people react strongly to some threads posted. The first is that if the person had SEARCHED before they posted a new thread they more than likely would have found the info they were looking for. Secondly, simply lurking around the site and reading for a little while will give the average Joe/Josephine with an average IQ, an idea of how things work on internet forums. If people do this, they generally avoid any embarrassment. It's funny how tens of thousands of people can get along on this site with no issues but when one bloke/girl does have a problem it's anyone else's fault but their own!

Lastly, who the hell writes into a magazine to complain about copping a hard time on the internet. I mean seriously! :eek::confused::rolleyes:
Yep. I read the forums petty much every day now for the last few months, and while there are a few keyboard tough guys who need a cyber slap, it is far outweighed by good advice, interesting content and I'm even starting to ride with a few of the people on this site.
Considering the amount of members and content, it's pretty bloody good. I'm hooked. And yes, who the hell would write in to complain about it??

alexb618

Likes Dirt
the "I heard fox 40s are the best you should buy them" posts in Parts n Stuff constitute a better product review than anything they've done.
and the little stp riding squids have not been bribed with free parts to write these comments either :cool::cool::cool::cool:

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
to be honest, I think its very poor form for AMB magazine to publish what they did, furthermore, I think its weak and soft.
what everybody has said prior to me is absolutly spot on and I think that the publishers of AMB magazine should be fully aware of this thread, and how people feel about their oppinion.

I say to you AMB - tough tittys. suck it in, your grown ups now.

'Ross

Eats Squid
At least the opinions of farkin.net members are more credible then the ratings in AMB. Because we aint getting paid to talk up our products.

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot

Farkin.net is free......

Need I go on?

Another thing to take in is the face that none of us have a editor for our posts and yet we still manage to get the facts right more often. i mean seriously i usually find several mistakes in their mag each issue. especially in their bike reviews. pfft.

Cheers
Brent

NCR600

Likes Dirt
I haven't seriously read AMB (or any other MTB mag) since Tim Robinson left as editor, what 10-12 years ago now.

Not that I think that the content has fallen since then, but I've found in the magazine world in general that the entertainment value has fallen since the mid 90's.

I used to religiously buy AMB, Performance Bikes, Australian Motorcycle News, Bizzarre and a host of motorcycle magazines, but I've found that in general the content has been dumbed down and sedated to the point of coma, generally in the best interests of advertising revenue.
Even Viz, despite it's ever downward "not as funny as it used to be" spiral, has succumbed to the corporate dollar in certain ways.

I don't buy any of those mags anymore (except Viz, and I'd buy Bizarre if I could find it in Australia these days), preferring to get my fix in the rather more real-time world of the internet.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This letter was about on par with the quality of other letters published in that issue... care to quote some of them to put it all in context?
;)

Last edited: