A couple of weeks in the life of a very amateur racer

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow what a day, one of the best I've had on the bike.
Felt very much less amateur when I got to the bottom of my 2nd stage of the day and Wyn Masters rode past lol.
And can now say I've stood in the same spot on the same podium as Wyn haha.

IMG-20231112-WA0000.jpg

The day got started well, perfect weather and feeling good for the first run of the day.
Decided to do the most taxing longer trail to begin with while the legs were fresh 'FOX' stage. Trail conditions were interesting with some very blown out corners. But put a pretty clean run down and dug deep knowing I needed to get this one right first up.

Next up was 'Stans' stage, in a similar condition to fox. Again a reasonable clean run down and feeling pretty good on the Pedals. However definitely a couple of corners I could clean up.

It was then back up the hill for first crack at the fastest trail of the day, stage 'Lazer'.
This was also the trail I crashed on earlier in the week.
Managed to put down a flyer, to the extent that if I could go any faster I'd be pushing my limits lol.

With a run on all stages it ment I finally had time on the board and could start fine tuning which stages to try again. To my surprise, the three runs had put me in 3rd place.

It was decided to have another crack at 'FOX' while still freshish hoping to better my first time. Was rapped to claw back almost 6 seconds.
It was then I found out I was now only 0.6 seconds off moving up to 2nd place! Gave me a bit of a kick for the next run.

I was happy with my 'Lazer' time so next up was another shot to clean up stage 'Stans'.
Nope lol, got to the bottom with a run 3.5 seconds slower than my first! Gutted, it felt like a great run. Back to the top for another shot, nope! This time only 0.3 seconds off my first run.
Again gutted, headed back to the race village for lunch and a refresh.

After lunch it was another shot at the super fast 'Lazer' stage. Getting to the bottom almost a second slower than my first run. This 0.6 seconds was proving difficult to make up lol.

Back to the top again. I was convinced there had to be time I could make up on 'Stans'.
Was super happy with the run and with nerves checked the time! Almost could contain my excitement, it was almost 3 seconds faster than the first run. I'd finally got that 0.6 seconds and nudged into 2nd place.

We had only half an hour until the stages closed so raced up to have one more go at 'Lazer'. It was not to be, putting down a time 0.1 seconds off the last try and still a second off my best. But didn't care, I was still in 2nd and the race had just closed :)

Screenshot_20231112_173952_Chrome.jpg

Was an awesome day racing with my mate who had a similar battle in his class, with early results in 5th before slipping back a bit.
He put down a flyer on 'Stans' in the same run I did and got himself back into 5th with only 0.1 seconds to move up into 4th.
All hopes were on the last run down 'Lazer'.
But it was not to be, he somehow exactly equalled his best time, unable to pick up the 0.1. But he was super happy with his 5th anyway.
Screenshot_20231112_182433_Gallery.jpg

Anyway, that was the race, super happy with the result. Who knows if the training over the last few weeks made a difference lol.
Thanks for reading if you got this far :)

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!
Wow what a day, one of the best I've had on the bike.
Felt very much less amateur when I got to the bottom of my 2nd stage of the day and Wyn Masters rode past lol.
And can now say I've stood in the same spot on the same podium as Wyn haha.

View attachment 404392

The day got started well, perfect weather and feeling good for the first run of the day.
Decided to do the most taxing longer trail to begin with while the legs were fresh 'FOX' stage. Trail conditions were interesting with some very blown out corners. But put a pretty clean run down and dug deep knowing I needed to get this one right first up.

Next up was 'Stans' stage, in a similar condition to fox. Again a reasonable clean run down and feeling pretty good on the Pedals. However definitely a couple of corners I could clean up.

It was then back up the hill for first crack at the fastest trail of the day, stage 'Lazer'.
This was also the trail I crashed on earlier in the week.
Managed to put down a flyer, to the extent that if I could go any faster I'd be pushing my limits lol.

With a run on all stages it ment I finally had time on the board and could start fine tuning which stages to try again. To my surprise, the three runs had put me in 3rd place.

It was decided to have another crack at 'FOX' while still freshish hoping to better my first time. Was rapped to claw back almost 6 seconds.
It was then I found out I was now only 0.6 seconds off moving up to 2nd place! Gave me a bit of a kick for the next run.

I was happy with my 'Lazer' time so next up was another shot to clean up stage 'Stans'.
Nope lol, got to the bottom with a run 3.5 seconds slower than my first! Gutted, it felt like a great run. Back to the top for another shot, nope! This time only 0.3 seconds off my first run.
Again gutted, headed back to the race village for lunch and a refresh.

After lunch it was another shot at the super fast 'Lazer' stage. Getting to the bottom almost a second slower than my first run. This 0.6 seconds was proving difficult to make up lol.

Back to the top again. I was convinced there had to be time I could make up on 'Stans'.
Was super happy with the run and with nerves checked the time! Almost could contain my excitement, it was almost 3 seconds faster than the first run. I'd finally got that 0.6 seconds and nudged into 2nd place.

We had only half an hour until the stages closed so raced up to have one more go at 'Lazer'. It was not to be, putting down a time 0.1 seconds off the last try and still a second off my best. But didn't care, I was still in 2nd and the race had just closed :)

View attachment 404394

Was an awesome day racing with my mate who had a similar battle in his class, with early results in 5th before slipping back a bit.
He put down a flyer on 'Stans' in the same run I did and got himself back into 5th with only 0.1 seconds to move up into 4th.
All hopes were on the last run down 'Lazer'.
But it was not to be, he somehow exactly equalled his best time, unable to pick up the 0.1. But he was super happy with his 5th anyway.
View attachment 404395

Anyway, that was the race, super happy with the result. Who knows if the training over the last few weeks made a difference lol.
Thanks for reading if you got this far :)
Wyn sure gets around. We were pedalling up the fire road at Eatons today and a shaggy head goes past out of the saddle, absolutely flying and sure enough it’s the man himself.
Had a chat at the top. Nice bloke!
Also had the pleasure of watching him hit a series of jumps and absolutely railing some berms in a party train while we were checking out a feature.
It sure is something else watching a pro ride.

If you’re lining up second to Wyn Masters that’s something to be damn proud of!

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Wyn sure gets around. We were pedalling up the fire road at Eatons today and a shaggy head goes past out of the saddle, absolutely flying and sure enough it’s the man himself.
Also had the pleasure of watching him hit a series of jumps and absolutely railing some berms in a party train while we were checking out a feature.

Wow - that’s cool. What jumps was he doing/what trail was he railing?

Jpez

Down on the left!
Wow - that’s cool. What jumps was he doing/what trail was he railing?
He was lapping us 2 to one but we were down the bottom of Shit Tickets and there’s been a heap of amazing work done there. At the bottom of the creek gap there’s a series of new jumps and sweet sweet series of berms into more jumps. We were checking out a drop off up the hill to the left I’ve never noticed before and him and a few crew he’d kind of picked up like the pied piper party trained it past. They were all smooth but he was Barry fuckin White!

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Yeah I saw he was down the peninsula, heard he'd also tore the youies a new one as well.

Wish I could say I came in 2nd behind Wyn lol. But no, same podium position, different class. Wyn grabbed 2nd in Elites, me in Masters.

On Wednesday I got an email from MTB direct about my 2nd place. They had a special area on their website with all sorts of things I could take my picking of.
Went with a new light, can never have too much light haha. Arrived on Friday, even coming in via Aus Post.

Screenshot_20231117_183010_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: