A Fairlane, update!!!

mountain_man(1)

Likes Dirt
i'd stick with some singles and would advise nothing over 6" as the bike wont have warranty for triple clamps and it'll be really raked as well, therefore handle like shit. Look into a new bar and stem to get a better DH cockpit feel. Have fun building er' up.

chuckerhucker

Likes Dirt
yea hopefully it will be great when ive finished. hopefully soon. ill place up some pics as ive been upgrading her. yer i might look in to getting a pair of second hand pair of marzocchi drop off 4's and maybe a husselfelt bar and stem later as the ones on there now are fine

Sam.

Eats Squid
Is it just me or does that look alot like an AC?

(Not saying it is, Just looks like it)

chuckerhucker

Likes Dirt
advice

:D i ordered a chainguide, and a minion and highroller off torpedo 7 and should be here soon:D

ok i need advice: should i go for tripples? or single crowns?
do you no how much travel the frame will be able to handle?

o hopefully will have it done by 29th of april for toowoomba

Nebuchernezzer

Likes Dirt
Single crown probably about 5" travel at most is my guess.
The standard forks are only 4" of travel and you probably don't want to jack the front end up to far or have miles of travel on the front and whatever it has on the back (4-5" i'm guessing out back).
If this is your first DH bike and all that it shouldn't hold you back at all, i raced DH on a hardtail for years and then did a season on a 4" travel bike as well.
Never had any trouble keeping up with others in my class :).

tadders

Likes Dirt
Nice looking bike dude.I reckon you should whack some triples on.Something around the 150 mm mark. Cheers Tads

Mod Edit: This is definitely crap, and potentially dangerous, advice. There is no way this bike is built to handle triples or 150mm (6 inches) of travel. If you're going to give advice like this, then back it up with some reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

mountain_man(1)

Likes Dirt
I dont think theres any point in a 150mm triple, better off with a 120-150mm and it wont make the bike handle too badly. Ride it hard.

Bodin

GMBC
ok i need advice: should i go for tripples? or single crowns?
do you no how much travel the frame will be able to handle?
I've just done a quick search around the web and based on the info on this bike, its seems to be a 3 year old bike built around 4 inches of travel (100mm) at each end and is definitely not built to handle triples.

I wouldn't go much beyond a 5 inch (125mm) fork with this bike. Something like a Fox TALAS (100/120/140mm) would be ideal for it, but Fox is too expensive, look out for something by Rock Shox, as they make a few good forks in that range of travel that don't break the bank nearly as badly.

The other thing to remember here is that your bike is not designed for DH. It's an XC/Trail bike and probably should stay that way. With all the money you're spending on converting it to DH status, you could probably just buy an old DH bike. I got mine for $1800 and it rides pretty well.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
It does look very ACish (down to the 3 holes in the rocker arm to adjust the travel...cool!) The really old XtC ACs had Blacks as well!

There is quite a bit of choice out there if your looking for a 120mm (or there abouts) fork capable of doing what you have in mind.

The first that comes to mine is something like
this ; QR and designed for abuse. They are adjustable but it says 'fixed at 135mm'...might be a bit much but you could have a tinker.

OR

http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=80180 probably not up to the abuse of the Shermans but alas, a contender?

OR

http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=79763...if you have the money...I believe you can have a fiddle around with the spacers in these to lower them as well.

If your going new, the best would be to get the Fox TALAS as Bodin suggested as they are a very strong, adjustable and more then capable fork. Alternativly, look into Rock Shox Revalation or even Pike (if your prepared to switch to a 20mm hub...probably not worth it though).

Good luck and ride hard!

chuckerhucker

Likes Dirt
hello thanks for the advice, i have a budgetof around 250-300 on forks, and with the money i get from my forks (manitou blacks) i have planned to buy some new rims:cool:
They are 20mm axel so i plan to get forks with 20mm capability. i also like the idea or adjustible travel on the forks. i will definenty loomk into the shermans now.

cheers sean;)

more advice would be great;)

kizza01

Likes Dirt
These bikes were also sold under the guise of the 'Grand Marquis'

The GM was the same frame built up with heavy duty parts i.e saint cranks and brakes, Fox RC etc.

The GM came with a Manitou Sherman 150mm fork on the front. There is a reason for the funky headtube, its so u can adjust angles to accomodate for a longer, higher fork.

Steve Marsh even raced one with 170mm forks on it with no problems at all.

If i were you, i wouldn't exceed more than 150mm.

Good luck.

PS i also own one of these as my xc/trail. Its in stock form and i love it.

06acrider

Likes Dirt
same as an ac

[$@M];922603 said:
Is it just me or does that look alot like an AC?

(Not saying it is, Just looks like it)

that looks exactly the same as my 06 ac apart from the head tube area but other than that it is exactly the same it even has the same shock as the standard one

just saying what i think but it still looks good

Bowlo

Eats Squid
I thought that at first too but the lower tubing is thicker. Still, looks mad...
IMO Get some pikes and make it an all rounder bike. Theres not point in gettin tripples with 150mm travel. Go 150mm singles: Like pikes or 66's

chuckerhucker

Likes Dirt
yea i would get pikes but they are to expensive, but i am looking at some 2005 Manitou Sherman Breakout with 130 - 170 mm Travel for around the $300 mark. i dont no much about these forks, how are they? do you reoken there worth the money? would they be ok for my bike? they look fine and really good condition but not sure if it would suit my bike or not.

Bodin

GMBC
yea i would get pikes but they are to expensive, but i am looking at some 2005 Manitou Sherman Breakout with 130 - 170 mm Travel for around the $300 mark. i dont no much about these forks, how are they? do you reoken there worth the money? would they be ok for my bike? they look fine and really good condition but not sure if it would suit my bike or not.
I might be wrong, but I'm under the impression that the Breakout model you're considering will have a 1.5 headtube. Is your frame 1.5 or 1 1/8th?