A few Q's please on changing from 8spd to 10spd Now with Video

Minlak

custom titis
Ok so the Mrs's has a Merida Juliet TFS 100 D (2011) http://www.merida.com.au/2011-bikes/mtb-hardtail/juliet-tfs-sport-series/juliet-tfs-100-d.htm.

She currently has Alivio (ish) level gear on it and for her Birthday I would like to get her a new back wheel (the cassette on her current wheel wobbles a bit in freewheel it is installed properly and tight but there is movement on the cassette on the freehub. If you look at it from the rear it is similar to what you see with a buckled wheel but on the cassette / freehub). Whilst it is all perfectly functional and safe I know it plays on her mind. She isn't as sure that she is indestructible like me.

I am changing my drive train out and will have a spare 3 x 10 speed Hollowtech setup just laying around. Im thinking if I get her a new wheel I may as well put on my 10spd cassette and XT rear derailleur (both in perfect condition) my SLX rapid shifters (also in perfect condition) my XT Front Derailleur (perfect condition) <--- I bring this up so people dont think I am just passing down my shitty parts instead of getting her new ones. I would then need to get her a new crankset / 10spd chainring set up.

Parts List:-
a) External Bottom Bracket (just so happens I have a new one here)
b) Shimano FC-M552 Deore 10 Speed Chainset (new)
c) Shimano HG94 Chain 10 Speed (new)
d) Shimano HG-81 Cassette 10spd (2nd hand)
e) SLX 3 x 10 Shifters (2nd hand)
f) Deore XT Rear Derailleur (2nd hand)
g) Deore XT Front Derailleur (2nd hand)
h) QR back wheel (new)

Questions:-
1) This bike currently has a cartridge style BB I have discovered there would be no issue fitting an external BB correct?
2) Any equipment I am missing to make this happen?
3) Is it easier more sensible to just get her the new wheel and fit the 8spd cassette to it?

Im pretty sure I have it right but want to make sure before I buy anything.

[video=youtube;MacR_Bbg8s8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MacR_Bbg8s8[/video]

Last edited:

MARKL

Eats Squid
1) No issue (may need to get BB shell faced)
2) Seems ok
3) Go the upgrade...but

Wobble in rear wheel - is it sealed bearing or cones? Maybe needs new bearings or the cones just need to be tightened up?

Minlak

custom titis
1) No issue (may need to get BB shell faced)
2) Seems ok
3) Go the upgrade...but

Wobble in rear wheel - is it sealed bearing or cones? Maybe needs new bearings or the cones just need to be tightened up?
Its Cones but i cant seem to get any movement from the wheel itself with out the cassette on put the cassette on and you can move the cassette on the freehub. When putting the cassette back on the freehub it seems very loose like the tolerences are too great. Poor description i know :( sorry but yeah mount wheel up no cassette and its fine so i dont think its wheel bearings.

Besides she loved how much the Alivio felt better to her old Giant (2003) and i just spent $1000 on my bike so would like to get her the new wheels too :)

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its Cones but i cant seem to get any movement from the wheel itself with out the cassette on put the cassette on and you can move the cassette on the freehub. When putting the cassette back on the freehub it seems very loose like the tolerences are too great. Poor description i know :( sorry but yeah mount wheel up no cassette and its fine so i dont think its wheel bearings.

Besides she loved how much the Alivio felt better to her old Giant (2003) and i just spent $1000 on my bike so would like to get her the new wheels too :)
If the freehub doesn't move when the cassette is removed it must be the cluster. Not missing a spacer in the custer are you?

Have you tried putting on your cassette off your bike on the wheel and seeing if it moves as well?

Minlak

custom titis
If the freehub doesn't move when the cassette is removed it must be the cluster. Not missing a spacer in the custer are you?

Have you tried putting on your cassette off your bike on the wheel and seeing if it moves as well?
I am explaining this very badly :) .... there is no actual movement in the cassette its not loose at all once tightened onto the freehub and you cant move either seperately but once its installed the cluster itself seems like it is warped ... the wheel whilst not perfectly true seems fine and the rotor doesnt rub... ill see if i can find something to video it with. Neither of the other 2 bikes exhibit this movement.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I am explaining this very badly :) .... there is no actual movement in the cassette its not loose at all once tightened onto the freehub and you cant move either seperately but once its installed the cluster itself seems like it is warped ... the wheel whilst not perfectly true seems fine and the rotor doesnt rub... ill see if i can find something to video it with. Neither of the other 2 bikes exhibit this movement.

I know exactly what your talking about and have seen this on Shimano hubs before. There is not a lot you can do about.

Minlak

custom titis
I know exactly what your talking about and have seen this on Shimano hubs before. There is not a lot you can do about.
Well there is ...... new wheels :) Now all I need is some PM's replied too or Ebay here I come :)

Now to delete all evidence of this post so I can flog off the old wheels :)

Minlak

custom titis
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that cassette. A small amount of wobble is perfectly normal.
Perfectly normal for Shimano hubs. My Hope and Sun Ringle hubs have zero noticeable wobble.
Sweet good to know and i showed her some responses to keep her happy just hadn't noticed it before and the other 2 bikes here have no movement like that at all so she got concerned ....... but still good excuse to upgrade her for her birthday but.

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that cassette. A small amount of wobble is perfectly normal.
Yes, I think you're right. We see wheels like this in out workshop quite often. They are at the lower quality end of the Shimano range, but they still work ok.

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
Yeah go for the upgrade. Your wife will love the 10 speed. Changing from old school cartridge BB to Hollowtech External BB is ok - and remember everything you use including derallieurs must be 10 speed.