A good Flat pedal for AM riding

Sic

Likes Dirt
Im running a set of DMR Vaults. They are light and large, if you're after a big platform they are up there (115mm) and they spin freely so they pedal well which not all the DH pedals do.

Took me a while to get used to the extra width (a few pedal strikes here and there) but they are great.

They arent cheap but I had a pair of DMR V12s before this and they lasted 8 years or something ridiculous so if they last half as long as that its pretty cheap really.

macguffin

Likes Dirt
What shoes will you be using? All the pedals listed have good grip if you have good shoes (five tens, tevas). Might pay to factor that into the budget. Get some cheap grippy pedals and five ten impacts (a bit pricey, but mine held up for 4 years) and you will have as much grip as you can get without going to clips.

Sic

Likes Dirt
Good point about shoes. Im running a pair of Vans Gravels and they're pretty grippy, not sure they are as grippy as 5/10's but they're a great shoe.

Earlysport

Likes Bikes
Have to say I'm a fan of ultra thin pedals, hence run dabomb barebones on both my bikes. 330 grams a pair, super thin, wide platform, and in colours from crc for $99 a pair.

I couldn't find a better weight/design/price compromise.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the tips guys, yes I wear 5 -10s,

Will narrow it down to the thin large platform types ,

Are they pretty much all on par when it comes to peddling , I like to ride for about 3 hours on a weekend, which involves quite a kms,

Wasnt sure if some types are more suited to peddling than others , taking into account that most seem to be designed more for DH purposes than XC

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
On the subject of flat pedals,

Found this site , dont know this guy from a bar of soap , but he has some good tips for inexperienced riders like myself,

And has some interesting theories on the pros and cons on riding clipless or flats on his site , that some of you might like to have a look at,

http://www.bikejames.com/

Austen

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My all mtn bike currently has point one racing pedals, my dh and race cruiser both have straitline amps, all good pedals, amps are a little small, currently waiting for the chunked pedals to be finished then I will be swapping to those, support Australian!

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Ive been using the Mag Wellgo pedals I payed less than $40 for on ebay with the sealed bearings (look very similar to the saints) for 9months and have been great. Even better know I have Five Tens to wear also.