a half link chain and my bike ??

dirt rider

Likes Dirt
hey guys
i have a rocky mountain flow with 24" wheels and i have turned it into single speed with a chain tensioner . after a while the tensioner kept bending my dropout and started to break .

i want to get a half link chain and not have to worry about the chain tensioner.
i am currently running 16/38 ratio

is anyone running the same set up as that or will the half link chain not fit ???

cheers

Constable Care

Likes Dirt
dont get a half link, they stretch beyond belief, if you have horizontal then just do the bolts up extra tight. another idea is run your bolts as far against the drop outs as possible and you can probably just loose a link because its in. However if you have vertical maybe you should get a chain mech or something.

dirt rider

Likes Dirt
yeah i got a verticle dropout

i have seen a few people with the set up and they seem to have no problem with it .

i just dont want to buy a half link and find out it dont fit

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
You only need ONE half link to try it, as one half link + remainder in normal chain = same length as a whole chain of half links...

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Half-Link chains are not as strong imo. Plenty of BMX'ers in canberra bought them when they were first released, most snapped them faster than usual.

I reckon a KMC 410H with a single half link is the ultimate chain. cheap, strong, and whatever length you need it to be.

turkey 6000

Banned
i was running a tensioner for about a week and got sick of it skipping and stuff when i rode up my street so i took it off and took a link out of my chain and now its good.
the moral here kiddies is dont buy a tensioner:D :D :D

Bestofbothworlds

Cannon Fodder
shadow chain

shadow conspirancy have released a new version of their half link chain. it is shaped differently to accomodate a 9t rear cog (not that that will matter to you) but hopefully it is less likely to break and rust than the old one. kool chains still kick ass but even the slightly dodgy older shadow chain will be stronger and more reliable than any pissweak mtb chain. only problem is its pricey (for a bmx chain, around $50). and even with half links your not guaranteed a perfect chain tension as long as you stick with a frame with vertical dropouts.

floody

Wheel size expert
dirt rider said:
so ur saying no matter what size and ratio you have

you can make it fit perfect
No , I'm saying you only need a single half link (and a compatible normal chain), as it works like this:
1 half link = half a normal link
2 half links = 1 normal link
3 half links = a normal link + single half link.

And so on and so forth. The benefits in finetuning your chain with a halflink only require one half link, otherwise its just the same as the equivalent length in normal stronger and less stretch prone links.