A poor tradesman blames his tools

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I agree with those suggesting that marketing is the culprit....

MAMIL walks into bike store with $5K and buys the shiniest carbon machine on the floor...

The shop assistant gladly accepts the cash even though he can see that the guy doesn't know a flat turn from a berm and you end up with the situation that you have.

My preferred race bike is a Rigid SS and on most courses/long rides, I average about 2km/h more on that than my 1x10 HT with a fork... On my Transition Bandit, I was probably 3km/h slower again but faster on rocky sections.

After a long stint on the rigid, any suspension just feels like I'm cheating.

I think that everyone should learn on a hardtail, you don't need to go SS or Rigid but you learn a lot more about attitude on the bike and body position with no rear suspension

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Haakon you weren't flattin that often! Craig just likes to bang on about things like that.!
He does indeed. But irratatingly, he was right :) But he is patient with slow pokes, and having him to chase for a couple of years got me going a lot faster than I would have on my own. Being the slowest rider and having a fast rider to chase on a regular basis is generally a good thing.

Dont bag the slow guy too much in other words - just be the annoying guy he works hard to beat one day!!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
easy on tiger

classic sign of depression to me

believing a change in bike will make all the difference to your riding- and in turn your happiness.

The guy should be on a 4/ 5 inch duellie (650b if he finds FS 29ers not a bit harder to handle) and practise in a safe and encouraging enviroment- that might be on his own for now. I see you are in Sydney so probably Manly Dam? It is quite challenging for someone loosing confidence. Sounds like it aint his fitness rather his skills. Well going from a DH bike to a 29 HT aint the go is it.

He is obviously struggling with his bike choice- a little empathy and tolerance and sound advice would be good IMO.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
This isn't Big JD by any chance ?
I have been riding off road for 38 years- I aint "that guy" you would be waiting for thanks Creaky- you mullet. I trade and swap my bikes these days to try different bikes- I cant afford to have a stable of bikes like the past.

Im watching you closely

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I'm that guy, but I don't blame the bike, I know it's me. fat and unfit and a fucking retard skill-wise. Always off the back, because of fitness, or crashing.

I usually ride by myself because I don't want to hold people up all the time.

fitness is straightforward to deal with, I know I need to ride more, but where do I go for skills courses?

keeping momentum, drop-offs into half-pipe-y hollows, uphill pinches, some off-camber slippery stuff and negotiating larger logs seem to be my main problems. certain bits of rough and rocky trail I seem to do ok, but it's putting it together that I suck at. oh yeah, stairs are scary for me too.

Yarra Trails is mostly where I ride, either upstream from Burke rd or down to yarra bend/studly park boathouse. Little bit of Lysterfield.

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I'm that guy, but I don't blame the bike, I know it's me. fat and unfit and a fucking retard skill-wise. Always off the back, because of fitness, or crashing.

fitness is straightforward to deal with, I know I need to ride more, but where do I go for skills courses?

keeping momentum, drop-offs into half-pipe-y hollows, uphill pinches, some off-camber slippery stuff and negotiating larger logs seem to be my main problems. certain bits of rough and rocky trail I seem to do ok, but it's putting it together that I suck at. oh yeah, stairs are scary for me too.
if you are in Brisbane go and get a leason from my old friend Guy White @ Learn MTB. He is an amazing teacher and will correct your technique. Otherwise find someone that is happy to spend some time with you, to watch and advise while building confidence. You dont need a high level of fitness to enjoy riding off road or to build your skills.

Edit- I see you are in Melbourne- there are quite a few fat b@stards around these parts. I would be happy to help you out Forker as Im sure there are others here too.

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
TrailMix at Lysterfield hold skill classes, and they also have a new skills park out there (though I don't know if it's open yet).

http://www.trailmix.com.au/catalogue/services/trailmix_mtb_skills_classes
Forgot about Trialmix- good call.

I think there are a few weekend away training camps over summer in the mountains too- worth a look. Bottom line - work on your fitness, strength and flexabilty as much as possible- rewards your riding and work on your skills every ride - one thing at a time. Dont try and do it all at once mate.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some people best becareful with their opinons you are starting to sound like roadies.......

MTB has always been an excepting and helpful sport to new comers and the not so skilled and is part of what makes this sport great.

I polite word of perhaps "how can we help you catch up to our level? your equipment is all good, so would you like some help with skills, a fitness program etc?" to old mate might be in order.

But for fucks sake lets not start sounding like a bunch of lycra wearing black top wankers.....

Big JD

Wheel size expert
easy tiger 2

Some people best becareful with their opinons you are starting to sound like roadies.......

MTB has always been an excepting and helpful sport to new comers and is part of what makes this sport great.

I polite word of perhaps "how can we help you catch up to our level? your equipment is all good, so would you like some help with skills, a fitness program etc?" to old mate might be in order.

But for fucks sake lets not start sounding like a bunch of lycra wearing black top wankers.....
Yes perhaps a polite word is in order (as has been suggested) but I dont see the roadie tones you speak of or the need to be careful- we all ride bikes and not all MTBers are welcoming or accepting SF......... just like roadies

bootsandall

Likes Dirt
Sounds like he is keen to get into the sport, but hasn't got the time or support to get to know himself and his kit. Maybe if your happy to develop his skills then plan to "take it easy and session some parts to get it dialled!". Just him and a good encouraging mate could get him to winge less and grin more during and after a nice ride.
Have done it with one of my mates (though he wasn't a excuses type) and he now happily goes 'sure' when I suggest we take the more challenging trail. A mates kid was having real issues when he first started, freaking out, get wound up cause he was slow and couldn't muster the up hill strength. Told the boys to head off I'll just hung back with him, talked him down and told him no one likes the up hills, except a few minority, its all about putting in the effort to enjoy the sweet down hill. Boy did he enjoy it once we got there, all I could hear down the hill was his excitment and when he got to the end of the trail, begging to grind it up for another run.

slowmick

38-39"
I have been in both boats - it is crap to have to have people wait for you but also crap when someone ruins your run as they nana down a trail. When you are the one doing the waiting you need to try and make more time to ride without "that guy". maybe you need to do an extra lap after the group ride or get there early to get your jollies. If the only ride you get each week is with someone who sucks the fun out of it the situation will deteriorate for both of you. Ridign with mates is awesome but sometimes you just need to do your own thing.

ForkinGreat - i did the Alpine Gravity skills clinic at the You Yangs over two days in June. people of all skill levels. everybody got better in some way. me, i found out what was causing me to crash which is always a great piece of knowledge. it hasn't stopped me but at least i know what i am doing wrong. :first:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

MTB has always been an excepting and helpful sport to new comers and the not so skilled and is part of what makes this sport great.

Roadies are excepting, mtbers are accepting. ;). Blame iphone autocorrect...

Here's a bit of general advice that I see a lot and it might be relevant. A few guys who skid going down hill and generally don't seem at one with the bike, it came to me, that they mostly put their weight back when riding down the hill, but guys who are smooth and self assured downhill, put their weight low - so back and low not just back, and often enough you don't really need to go back at all, simply lowering centre of gravity is enough to get rid of that feeling of being pitched off, with the added benefit of front end grip.

Haakon

Some of us also skid a lot going downhill because its fun and we're just kids with a penchant for dicking about :whistle: Cheap tyres are useful here.

I am usually faster when I apply myself to watching my technique, but most of the time I have more fun riding like an idiot - and am pretty sure fun is why I'm out in the first place!

As for the OP - what is the guy good at? Schedule a ride with lots of what he likes (maybe more flowing action without too many hills and jumps to frustrate him) and let him enjoy things a bit more without worrying about the stuff he's not so good at yet.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Here's a bit of general advice that I see a lot and it might be relevant. A few guys who skid going down hill and generally don't seem at one with the bike, it came to me, that they mostly put their weight back when riding down the hill, but guys who are smooth and self assured downhill, put their weight low - so back and low not just back, and often enough you don't really need to go back at all, simply lowering centre of gravity is enough to get rid of that feeling of being pitched off, with the added benefit of front end grip.
an issue that is magnified by shorter, upright cockpits and slacker head angles.....

Calvin27

Eats Squid
It's not our fault, they are crossing over in droves!

Lysterfield has been my home ground for pretty much all my life and I must say there are more and more roadies on the trails now. You can tell by their super climbing ability but lack of downhill and cornering skills. Also they are generally scared of trees for some reason but still run with 700mm+ bars because it's the thing to do.

Haakon

Dude, way to lower the tone of the discussion... There's some shit you can't un-see....

DJR

Likes Dirt
Oh dear. Thread just went bye bye.

On rear wheel skids, too often people hear "get your weight back" even on mild slopes you see people buzzing their backside they are back so far and them wonder why the front brake does nothing. Buzzing is needed sometimes but simple attack position with a slight weight bias is usually enough for most descents unless they are quite steep... People get worried sometimes after endo's