A question of ettiquette?

RoscoeP

Likes Bikes
Just wanted some feedback on road riding ettiquette as a result of something that happened yesterday on my homeward commute on Yarra Blvd in Kew, Melbourne.

I commute every day from Richmond to Bundoora and back, running along the blvd, then dropping down to the river at Chandler Hwy to Heidelberg on the trails and singletrack. This is the mainstay of my training and I do it on a Merida Matts with an 11 speed Alfine hub and Schwalbe marathon plus tyres - in a word (or two); resistance training. I regulary do extra laps of the blvd and hill reps on Yarra St. Most of this is high intensity riding at an average speed of around 30 km/h, and it is generally fixed power outout rather than speed.

So yesterday, I was coming home and joined the blvd at the Chandler Hwy. On the first rise, I typically try to tap out a light rythym to recover from running up the stairs next to the bridge and then get into a higher effort pace at the top of the rise.

Halfway up the rise a road rider passed me at a rate of knots. However towards the top of the rise he eased off and was about 20 m ahead. Then after the next descent, as I was getting up to speed adn intensity, he began to come back to me, and on the lower part of the next rise after crossing the freeway his speed dropped off and I drew level with him and then passed him near the top. As I passed he seemed to say something but I didn't catch it.

After the next descent and around the corner, on the following gradual rise I heard him come up behind me and then he was shouting out how I had dropped off 5km/h. Thinking this was friendly banter to get me to push harder, I upped the speed until the end of the rise and then waved him to the front.

I was then absolutely gobsmacked when he rode up beside me and just DOWNLOADED, calling me an f'ing idiot, saying that i should stop trying to be a hero and, I think implying that I shouldn't have passed him because he wanted clear road in front of him. I pointed out that I always ride at this speed and that the only reason I passed him was that he had eased off. Needless to say the discussion became more colourful until I told him to f'off and let him in front.

The irony was that he then rode at a much more moderate pace than when he was breathing down my neck shouting, and I comfortably stayed back about 20m behind until he slowed to turn into Studley Park Rd and I passed him again, reminding him that he was an arrogant curmudgeon (in slightly less eloquent language).

So, as one not well versed in the rules of the road cyclist, my question of ettiquette is whether there was some unwritten rule that I transcended in passing him as he eased off?

The way he carried on was as if once he passed me that I was not allowed re-take him as that was evidence of me "trying to be a hero". If he was so annoyed that my speed dropped off on the next incline (a by product of a MUCH heavier bike), why didn't he simply re-pass - all he did was speed when I sped up, sat there, then abused me, and then dropped back to a slower pace after I let him go. Ironically, what I think he was acussing me of was effectively what he had done when he first passed me. His irrational diatribe was of an intensity that you would have thought I nearly took him off his bike.

Is the unwritten rule that commuters carry less rights on the road than someone out on a road ride?

Or is this obnoxious ego-induced behaviour just one of those things that you will always find in a minority of people, even MTB'ing?

Sherrif

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
The guy sounds like a tool.
I overtake and get overtaken all the time and have never had a problem with roadies or MTBers on the tarmac with this situation.
You probably distracted him from his zen-like state induced by a secret cadence once used by Lance and now his Strava segment is gonna be 2 seconds off a KOM and IT"S YOUR FAULT!

I think the rules regarding roadies are

- Ride within your physical limits and skill level
- Be mindful of how much space you occupy, and others that may cross into this zone
- Comminicate in a clear and friendly manner with all other road users when and if needed
- Don't be a STRAVA addicted stem munching, goo-packet littering, hardarsed, bad attitude wannabe

It sounds like you did all the right things, and he did the latter.

If you want to pass someone, and you can, do it. If they want to pass you and get back in front then they can if they want to try.
I like a bit of cat and mouse with strangers on the road. As long as they aren't d*ckeads about it.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I reckon I have met the guy you describe a few years ago, almost exact same scenario. You've done nothing wrong, he's a tool with ego problems, next time tell him to get fucked. There is plenty of room on the boulie for everyone to do their own thing, he doesn't have to draft you if he doesn't want. And it's got nothing to do with roadie etiquette, I've been a serious roadie for many years, know all the etiquette, the guy is just a tool.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Kew Boulie is the home of people with funny ideas and funny egos, ESP fi you're riding an mtb. I train there with both and sometimes just shake my head at the strange behaviour in terms of passing, re-passing etc. It seems to get right up peoples noses if you pass them on a mtb !

Slowman

Likes Dirt

Or is this obnoxious ego-induced behaviour just one of those things that you will always find in a minority of people, even MTB'ing?

Sherrif
You answered your own question.

I started out as a triathlete and roadies were forever getting the shits if we passed them and carrying on about it as soon as they saw tri bars - not all, just some. Quite a few of us raced road too, so it was curious. I'd take the road bike out and get waved at or my waves returned, take the tri bike out and not get acknowledged. What used to really peeve these odd egotistical "roadies" was if we outclimbed them (especially going through Akuna Bay) it became a "game on" situation. And then after when a triathlete got to the top first rather than just engage in a bit of friendly banter some of these idiots would just leave with the sulks. They were never going to beat all of us (name drop alert) we used to have a young (God he's still young) Pete Jacobs (current Hawaiian IM champ) with us and he wasn't the best climber (then).

Crikey life is too short and I reckon you can never have enough friends in this life. On the whole though as an MTBer I did get more acknowledgement than as a triathlete (hated by all!) but to some roadies being passed by an MTB is nearly as bad as being passed by an old lady on a hybrid :lol:

I guess it is the nature of sport that will attract these kinds too.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you have made the mistake of passing a competitive dude and not owning him i.e. don't let him catch you again. the boulie is pretty competitive so you either ride easy like you are in recovery mode or you go out strong and watch your back for others coming up. I treat it as a good excuse to push myself. of course he's a wannabe for having a go at you, on the other hand, you should have breathed down his neck and waited for him to crack.

don't take it all too seriously - but be aware that's the competitive spirit at play not all that bad, kind of fun really.

I particularly like coming up strong on a roadie and just when he's out of juice I drop off into the single track as he's thinking 'where did he go'?

RoscoeP

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the repsonses guys.

You have all pretty much backed up what I initially had thought. That the tool was simply a cocktail-wienered bully.

However sometimes when someone has a go at you with such force like that you automatically wonder whether you had some something in the wrong, or excessively dangerous.

Anyway, must be off now back to the boule for the trip home - look forward to seeing Herr Wiener again.

Sherrif

Cuthbert

Likes Dirt
Roadie's are a curious bunch. Have just started to put in some road miles and I'm finding this whole quasi-competition thing a bit odd. Have never come across it before with MTB (admittedly never really been into xc), but it does seem like literally every 3rd rider you encounter almost assumes and expects that everyone else is up to race and/or ride at their tempo. Fair play if its an actual race meet, but on a commute or weekend spin?

You can pick the wankers, usually riding a machine that they'll never really have the legs to get the most out of and will always attack on a pissy little pinch climb. Quite amusing really, especially when you respond to the challenge and own one of them on a bike that's worth about as much as their bottle cages.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Roadie's are a curious bunch. Have just started to put in some road miles and I'm finding this whole quasi-competition thing a bit odd. Have never come across it before with MTB (admittedly never really been into xc), but it does seem like literally every 3rd rider you encounter almost assumes and expects that everyone else is up to race and/or ride at their tempo. Fair play if its an actual race meet, but on a commute or weekend spin?

You can pick the wankers, usually riding a machine that they'll never really have the legs to get the most out of and will always attack on a pissy little pinch climb. Quite amusing really, especially when you respond to the challenge and own one of them on a bike that's worth about as much as their bottle cages.
Behaviour like this is actually a pretty good way to tell a serious racer from a wannabe. Most good racers will have a plan in mind for their training session, and what you do on the road won't make any difference at all to them.

What WILL piss off riders legitimately, is if they are riding as a group with a plan, and other randoms jump in/on and try to turn the ride into a race.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Don't sweat it, that particular guy is just a flog. Most people are pretty cool and up for a g'day.

I only ever do Bullies on my SS with mtb tyres specifically to fit in with my overall training and I go out with my own program in mind which on occasion does piss off the odd rider just because I am there, but they are few and far between.

Dare say that particular tool cannot manage their own training and perhaps you did not recognise that he also owned the whole road and you were merely an interloper :thumb:

Just keep doing what you're doing.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the repsonses guys.

You have all pretty much backed up what I initially had thought. That the tool was simply a cocktail-wienered bully.

However sometimes when someone has a go at you with such force like that you automatically wonder whether you had some something in the wrong, or excessively dangerous.

Anyway, must be off now back to the boule for the trip home - look forward to seeing Herr Wiener again.

Sherrif
Well Sherrif in the surfing world it can get much worse and get violent over the stupidest things at times. The Bra Boys have kind of started a cult thing that nitwits in Taiwan are trying to mimic at one particular beach ...after one incident it had me contemplating following this dude to his house and later giving him a midnight door knock, when all his mates weren't around...yeah extreme. All because of some stupid ego and someone not being able to accept their true level of skill - a little bit like the nutter you came across, even though there was no threat whatsoever. Insecurity and ego are a bad combination, anywhere.

Last edited:

Norco Maniac

Is back!
such fun!!!

We ride the bikes we race. on the road and on trails, just because we can. We train wherever suits us at the time on whichever of our stable we decide to and yanno, I don't have time for the weekend warriors who spend more time shaving their legs and choosing their Lycra outfits than riding their bikes. So when some roadie gets snotty that I pass him on my bmx on a public road or shared path, I think "get a freaking grip".

it never ceases to amaze me how most average riders on whatever we ride are friendly as a general rule, but if i'm going to cop a sneer or other rudeness from another rider, it's invariably from a roadie.

**EDIT**

extending my apologies to Casnell - i was being a dick.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
I think the first thing that needs to be remembered is that your commute is not a race. It never ceases to amaze me how many people forget this.

My 35-40km commute includes Gardiners Creek/Main Yarra Trail all the way to the city - probably the other major place for tools who treat the commute like a race. It's rare to have a day where you don't get at least one guy try to be a hero passing you on blind corners, where the path narrows, etc. What really makes me roll my eyes though is guys who you pass, and then hang on for dear life to your rear wheel... but when you back off for somewhere you know to be a bit more dangerous - say, the bridge that goes from Glenferrie Road to Yarra Boulevard under the freeway, or along the pontoons that run along the Yarra River, or there's a slower rider in front which it's not unquestionably safe/visible to pass - particularly the metal corners - it's a necessity for them to pass you again.

My rule of thumb is generally that if someone passes you, don't pass them back. I can only recall once in recent times where I've made a conscious effort to stay with a rider who's passed me - because they knew me (as it happened, Strava completely lit up when I uploaded that at home - and taught me that kind of pace on commuter path was just plain unnecessary). Just let them go about being an idiot on their own. There are occasional exceptions to this for me - one in particular is the climb up Batman Avenue... I've lost count of the number of people who have raced past, passing unsafely along the pontoons, only to then be passed at 30-35km/h while they're trying to grind 12-15km/h up that hill.

0psi

Eats Squid
Behaviour like this is actually a pretty good way to tell a serious racer from a wannabe. Most good racers will have a plan in mind for their training session, and what you do on the road won't make any difference at all to them.
Hahahaha. This^^^. It's generally the people that think they're quick that are the tossers, the genuinely quick guys couldn't give a rats ass what speed you go at, if you annoy them they'll just drop you.

I think ol' mate is just a dick that can't ride and got his knickers in a twist getting overtaken by a guy on a commuter. Never mind, if he's as big a dick he sounds just tell Moorey about him and he'll come down and eat him :dance:

akashra

Eats Squid
I thought this was supposed to be a safe place - that we don't mention 'you know who' in the "Road & Track" forum? ;)
Baggy shorts aren't welcome around here, right?

RoscoeP

Likes Bikes
I thought this was supposed to be a safe place - that we don't mention 'you know who' in the "Road & Track" forum? ;)
Baggy shorts aren't welcome around here, right?
But I kind of think that is part of the issue that this dude had - not that I was wearing baggies at the time, but I was on a mtb and, god forbid, I also had a backpack.

It was like he had an issue to me going fast on the road, riding a mtb. Or that I had specially upped the ante of a commute ride to a race pace, just because he was there.

Just because you are wearing baggies, riding a tank, carrying a backpack with clothes and laptop doesn't mean that you can't crank up the intensity of your ride, on the road or the trails (although I do agree with the post about nutter commuters going too fast on narrow sections of the bike paths). With a family, this is the majority of the training that I do as I can't get out all the time on the weekends, and guess what, pushing all that extra weight around has been working wonders.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Alternatively, the correct answer to his protests would have been "Ich nicht verstehen sie! Halt das maul!"

Just pretend you can't communicate.