A Sad Day - Bike rider found unconscious in bushland dies a week later

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
Bike rider found unconscious in bushland dies a week later
COURTNEY TRENWITH
July 19, 2010 - 6:27AM
[via Brisbane Times]

Police are investigating how long a mountain bike rider was lying unconscious in bushland before he was discovered by other riders.

The 49-year-old man died in hospital yesterday, a week after the July 11 incident.

He had been riding at Daisy Hill State Forest when he apparently crashed his bike about 750 metres from an area known as The Five Ways, on track one.

Police said no one witnessed the accident and it is not known how long it took for others to notice him.

The Banora Point man was taken to Princess Alexandra Hospital with a spinal injury but died yesterday.

A Police spokesman said an autopsy would be conducted to determine his death and whether a medical condition caused the accident.

The Logan Forensic Crash Unit is investigating.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is very sad, particularly that it all happened on his own. My thoughts are with his family..

While there is nothing to suggest that he was laying there for an unreasonably long amount of time, it does remind me to make sure that someone knows where I am going to be if I am riding on my own (or even with only one other person).

Doggy

Inconceivable!
crashed on possum box, poor guy. Must have picked a quiet time to ride because that area is usually quiet busy with riders and there isnt really any thick bush on the side of the track to make it difficult to find him

Emmett

Likes Dirt
There is a thread on this topic on the mtbdirt forums. Briefly summarising, the person was found by a group of cyclists whom were well versed in first aid and initiated CPR. One of the mtbdirt members then arrived on the scene and works in an ER as a medical professional. According to the ER worker the actions of those first on scene gave the man a chance of survival.

Very sad and condolences to family and friends.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hopefully something good can come from this, in the form of a little wake up call, avoid riding alone, much like walking down that dark alley way in the wee hours of the moring, avoid it if at all possible

bardles

Likes Dirt
There is a thread on this topic on the mtbdirt forums. Briefly summarising, the person was found by a group of cyclists whom were well versed in first aid and initiated CPR. One of the mtbdirt members then arrived on the scene and works in an ER as a medical professional. According to the ER worker the actions of those first on scene gave the man a chance of survival.

Very sad and condolences to family and friends.

Hey Emmett, the medical professional was me. I work in Surgery, not the ED so I was pretty uncomfortable with the whole situation. There was no way he was there longer than a few minutes, Daisy was crawling with riders that morning. The initiation of CPR undoubtedly kept him alive until the ambos arrived - this would have allowed his family to say goodbye and hopefully somewhat come to terms with it compared to a sudden event.

I have stressed on mtbdirt that people need to use this tragic event as a reminder to learn first aid through the local ambulance service or St Johns.

I have needed to perform CPR twice now in public, both times have been horrendous - but knowing what to do enables you to sleep at night in the unlikely event it is required.

Run through in your head right now, what you would do if your buddy knocked himself out or stopped breathing.

This was a fellow rider, last week, on a local trail - so it can and does happen. Do your first aid. Ride with others who have done their first aid.

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
I was trained in first aid but have let it expire. This is a certainly a wake up call to get back up to speed. I hope my riding buddies do the same thing.

JBR

Likes Dirt
Was this just trail riding? Or F/ride? What is the track like that it happened at?

Without too many details obviously what occurred>?

fatdude

Likes Bikes
Beginner cross-country track. No obstacles
Never know it could have been a heart attack or something , Poor guy condolences to his family and friends.

My brother who i go riding with most of the time is trained in first aid and i did it a while back too and still remember the basics. I have never (and touch wood will never) have to give someone CPR but at least i have the procedure in the back of my head if the situation presents itself.