A Stromlo Update.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That last rock photo is really nice, rocky and full of preminition. As an envious non-trials rider, it seems there is a strong Aussie theme. I like it. Is there going to be iron/steel and maybe a merino to strut on?

Wait, I got it. Kevin Rudd as an obstacle. 7 second bonus for landing on his gob and shutting him up on international TV.

I really am kidding. It is looking interesting along with the whole show. Good job.

GO AUSSIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

stocktrials

Likes Dirt
great work as always Craig.. you've always surpassed my expectations at National champs sections, your "think big" mentality has got me really excited about seeing these zones and testing even the world's best!

You've seen a lot of courses around the globe, and made the best in Australia... now it's time for the rest of the world to witness your extraordinary efforts!

See you soon mate.

Mitch

Tribalzine

Cannon Fodder
great pics and amazing job... nicest and biggest sections of the season !

Warren i just put your pics and precision on tribalzine... thank you very much !!!

Last edited:

WildWassa

Banned
Tribalzine, Cheers. The images look excellent, in the way you have addressed them on your site. I hope to send you some shots during the event as well. All the best Mate.

The course is finished.

Dave Campbell from Fort Bill, sculpted the giant course with millimetre precision.

Dave is from Fort William, and for the past several years has constructed the Trials obstacles at Fort Bill. There is another main man in the creation of this course, who's image is missing, Kleat Wilson ... who prefers a touch of anonymity.

If you are coming to Stromlo for the Championships, you will see that I haven't photographed a lot of the course. I've only (basically) photographed a few interesting details under the most amazing skies, during a week of storms and huge NW winds. Some of the gusts have exceeded 90kph. Riders beware.

These are the last of my images until the event starts on Thursday the 3rd of Sept, firstly with the Junior Men OT 20" Semi-Final immediately followed by the Elite Men OT 20" Semi-Final.

Warren.

Last edited:

WildWassa

Banned
Mr Peter Fisch, the man in the amazing hat. Peter is the UCI Director of the Observed Trials. In this amazing hat, which is a traditional Swiss Railway labourer's hat designed to keep rain off the wearer for upto 24 hours, Peter stayed out in the rain observing the construction of the obstacles and adding his sage advice.

I feel that I've learnt a lot about the concept of Trials courses in the short time that I've spent with the guys. I certainly appreciate the time that they have given to me. When Peter walked around obstacles with me and explained the different approaches the riders will take, it had me realise what a truly amazing course this will be for totally fearless riders.

C'ya at the Trials.

Warren.

Last edited:

WildWassa

Banned
I'm was sitting on a stack of pallet drinking the last of my Gatorade, thinking I'm too weary to even walk back to my car, this was at about 5.30 last evening. I'd spent all day walking up and down the mountain. 6hrs photographing the XC training and then I did the DH1 'Walk the Track' which was excellent. It was starting to get dark.

... and then this guy hopped up on the pallet next to me. Then it was back on again. It is amazing how quickly your trigger finger can recover when something interesting happens.

Sebastian Hoffman (Senior GER)

Then Seb's Mate appeared.

Heiko Lehmann (Junior GER)

I though I was just sitting on a stack of unused pallets in the Event Village ... but I was sitting on the training obstacles. Then within 2 minutes there were dozens of people gathering around.

Warren.

Last edited:

noballz

Likes Dirt
anyone know what is going to happen to the trials stuff after the champs. are they going to be pulled down, like what happened after the national champs??

Lilley

Likes Dirt
I heard that some sections will remain (eg. the rock gully and the skinny rides) but those made up of pipes, crates and palettes in the event village will be taken down.

rubikat

Likes Dirt
Well Done Trials Guys!!

A huge well done to the Trials guys for their hardwork at Stromlo.
I've only seen trials on the telly but on the weekend was volunteering for 20 and 26 finals.
I HAD A BLAST!
Super friendly crowd, great fun to watch and overall a brilliant time.
Well done guys, I am totally sold on trials - even if I lack the coordination to ever be able to do it properly.
:)

WildWassa

Banned
The trials were extraordinary as were the rest of the MTB World Championships.

I haven't had a chance to even go through my trials shots yet, because of a commitment to a different sport, sailing. I must admit I enjoyed the dry land sport of the mountain bikers while it lasted ... no matter how high off the ground they were.

My son Geoffrey has given me permission to post one (actually 4) of his images from the Junior 26" Final of the Spanish rider Rafael TIBAU ROURA who finished 3rd.

Warren.

Last edited: