A to Z of Sydney suburbs, just an idea for now

Rik

logged out
Work cooked my brain today (too damn hot in the roof space), and to keep myself sane this idea brewed:

Doing a ride covering A to Z of Sydney suburbs, as a social-orientated street ride (ie, moderate pace, SS/fixed friendly). Starting somewhere central such as the city, and cruising here and there until we've completed the task.
To make things a bit tougher I'd also like to say that we can't say nominate the letter as achieved unless it's in alphabetical order - ie, riding from Annandale to Broadway via Glebe will only count as A and B, not G... to tick off G we'd have to visit E then F before it. Make sense? Well it does to me :p

Ideally I'd like the distance to be 80-120km and cover a fair amount of Sydney, but keeping to bike-friendly back roads and cycleways if possible.

As for when, I'm not sure myself... maybe a weekend in November, but more than likely early December. Until then we can nominate suburbs and work out general directions.

If you're interested, post here and we'll see how the idea develops.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Brilliant link.

We have a Sydney street map at work, so I'll have a bit of a think, and post back soon.

It will be tricky, Vacluse to Zetland via Yarramundi! :eek:

I think we may have to be a bit more creative with destinations than just suburbs. WXYZ is already a nightmare...

Another Edtit: OK, Queens Park, Randwick, St Peters, Tempe, Ultimo, Vaucluse, Waverly, There is no "X", Yarra Bay and Zetland?

Actually, let's make it a race?

Last edited:

Rik

logged out
OK, making exceptions for the difficult ones will have to be considered.
Another idea: a "treasure hunt" style ride, with an item beginning with that letter needing to be sourced from the suburb. Race, pfft, too much effort :p

alexMc

Likes Dirt
Allambie(dam track)-Balgowlah-Clontarf-Dee Why-E-Frenchs Forest

Kinda a bit to stretched out?

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
Absolutly slendid idea. Any requirements? Singlespeed? Fixed? or must have road tires, rigid?

Make it after the HSC as most probrably people like Tristian, Ruskoo and myself will participate :D

Binaural

Eats Squid
I'm surely up for it, provided it's in later than a week's time (which is when I'm getting back from Iran). Incidentally, nuclear reprocessing facility is less than an hour up the road from me, so make sure you all hit the streets to protest if the US starts bombing ;)