A trip down memory lane!

heavyp

You heard it here first
I just spent 4 weeks in Europe, and when I was at home in the UK I set myself a task of taking pictures (Only iPhone) of interesting things in every old school magazine I still have sitting in my old bedroom.

Even thou the history of DH isn't that old I have always tried to find certain images of bikes but to no avail, I looked through every Dirt magazine from Issue 2 to there last one, Grip, Rush, a few MBUK's and a Local magazine that was getting around at the time called Shred.

If you want to check out of Retro goodness I've uploaded about 400 images to a folder on my Pinkbike profile.

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/heavyp/album/Retro-Goodness/

Holy shit, that's amazing!

There are a number of banger features in your mix that I remember from my own collection of Dirt & MBUK mags from yester-year. So wishing I'd held onto a lot of them now after seeing this nostalgia trip.

Nice one heavyp. :clap2:

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Haha! Great work, looking through there bought back a lot of fond memories for me and i can picture quite a few of the images there which i had blu tacked to my bedroom walls and contacted to my school folders as a kid.

Travis.

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nice one man, that would be a great base for an article on progression (and returning back to the same ideas years later ha!)

heavyp

You heard it here first
nice one man, that would be a great base for an article on progression (and returning back to the same ideas years later ha!)
Haha yep just like Commencal V4 using an Idler which is exactly what Nico was going in 2000 on the VProcess NV00 and then after he stopped using it the first Commencal was basically a copy of his bike using the smash design and Idler again

Small world, Im from Plymouth too and have emigrated to Brisbane (Last Oct)

Used to ride DH in Cann woods, Exeter and out at Tavistock, Gawton and the old quarry place. :)

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Why on earth they had to destroy those Honda RN01 bikes just baffles and saddens me.

They meant a lot more than just prototype to the DH since they signalled DH was serious business globally.

I'm so glad I got see one in the flesh.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Inspired by the heavy guy, I pulled out this old number:

DSC_0199~2.jpg

Japan's 2002 MTB year book. There are some corker old styles! Some of the DH stuff is ghastly.

DSC_0201~2.jpg

And some is artful.

DSC_0206~2.jpg

DSC_0216~2.jpg