A word to the wise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Angel

Likes Bikes
I recently had some smart arse kid comment on my trading thread. It seemed that he thought I had broken the rules of the trading forum. Rather than reporting it to a moderator he took it upon himself to be the sphincter police and put a post on my thread, which included a sarcastic little comment.
I am a 37 year old male with a chequered past (to say the least) and could easily have taken offence (more offence than I did). Anyway, I went to his public profile and did a bit of digging. Within ten minutes I had printed off a picture of him, pictures of all three of his bikes and familiarised myself with the places he rides. It was very easy.
Had I been inclined I could have gone to these trails, waited until I bumped into him and done whatever I liked.
It seems that the younger members of this site seem to think that because they are sat in their bedrooms at home all safe and cosy, they can say and do whatever they want with complete impunity.
You can't. Its a good job I have mellowed with age. But some people havn't. There are site moderators for a reason, use them. Don't get smart and take things into your own hands.
You never know who you are messing with. Next time you go to your favourite trail you could meet someone who punches your face in or trashes your pride and joy for no apparent reason. Think back to the unknown person you pissed off on the internet......:eek:

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
EPIC post- that and peoples links to personal pages etc makes it even easier.

rather important for you youngens to think about aswell.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Internette rule #1

Don't put anything (photographs, specific locations, contact details etc) up that you wouldn't want the entire world to know.

downhillerBen

Likes Dirt
yes thats exactly right NCR600, thats probabally the worst thing to do especially when your dealing with people older than you, plus your on their bad side !
I think alot of young members are being smart arses and stretching their e-muscles because they can, but the truth is that their manily just giving a bad name for themselves and other young members, so thats one thing i should say because i'm a young rider myself and i hate people giving us bad names ! :mad:

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hell yeah, I just spent five minutes - found out his name, approximate age, locality and school.

Couldn't be farked going through his flickr I get bored quickly.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Wow you have some serious anger issues
To even gain so sort of puckered offence at what the kid said is nothing more then stupid. Oh and I don't have any contact details up, or photos. So have fun trying to hunt me down Sherlock.

By the way, for anyone who wants to know what the kid said.
Stop trying to be a smart ass. He was making a point.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
That sounds a bit too much like a threat to me. If you are so sensitive about being pulled up by another member because you broke the rules, you must have some pretty serious anger issues.

Pull your bloody head in and stop acting all 'tough guy back' just because someone trampled on your flowers. The person who pointed out your wrong bump may have been 15 (or whatever), but he was within his right to communicate that on a message board.

I'm sure people will appreciate your warning about posting and revealing information about themselves, but frankly, I think thats got nothing to do with why you posted up your comment. You are obviously shaken and upset that a 15 year old told you that you broke the rules.

I suppose now you are going to print off my picture and come after me with a sawn-off?

Tomas

my mum says im cool
That sounds a bit too much like a threat to me. If you are so sensitive about being pulled up by another member because you broke the rules, you must have some pretty serious anger issues.

Pull your bloody head in and stop acting all 'tough guy back' just because someone trampled on your flowers. The person who pointed out your wrong bump may have been 15 (or whatever), but he was within his right to communicate that on a message board.

I'm sure people will appreciate your warning about posting and revealing information about themselves, but frankly, I think thats got nothing to do with why you posted up your comment. You are obviously shaken and upset that a 15 year old told you that you broke the rules.

I suppose now you are going to print off my picture and come after me with a sawn-off?
The guy was making a point.

downhillerBen

Likes Dirt
The guy was making a point.
i agree, this thread wasn't about him raving on about his experience its about him making a point about kids being smart arses and being able to track them down and et... you get what i mean, i'm sure some people have had alot worse experiences than him

Steve Angel

Likes Bikes
Wow you have some serious anger issues
To even gain so sort of puckered offence at what the kid said is nothing more then stupid. Oh and I don't have any contact details up, or photos. So have fun trying to hunt me down Sherlock.

By the way, for anyone who wants to know what the kid said.
I just replied to his post and told a moderator that he was trying to steal their job, it didnt bother me that much. What started me on this was a thread I was reading the other day. Some youngun had found a bit of northshore or something on a trail, smashed. He'd seen a couple of older guys with MTBs on the trail and posted up the rego of their ute and slagged them for destroying his work. Turned out it wasnt his anyway, and to top it off, the guys he started in on were also members of farkin and read the thread. It just prompted me to have a look at 83AST and how easy it is to get details off of old posts and threads, and post up a warning as food for thought, as it could save some embarrassment and even bruises for people in the future. I think its a valid point to make and something that should be taken into consideration when particpating in chat rooms. Sorry that you took it out of context. I suppose any text is open to interpretation. I would suggest it is you who have the anger issues, as it was only you out of the people reading this thread that took it that way.:D Touchee

mongoosedh

Banned
Oh and I don't have any contact details up, or photos.
Maybe not, but I can find other things out about you:

You live in Coogee, you visit coogee macdonalds on regular occasions, you go Cranbrook, you're 16-17, so I'm assuming year 11, you have a size 11 shoe, you like electro and to top it off: You're a complete arsehole. :)

Last edited:

Steve Angel

Likes Bikes
Bravo

Maybe not, but I can find other things out about you:

You live in Coogee, you visit coogee macdonalds on regular occasions, you go Cranbrook, you're 16-17, so I'm assuming year 11, you have a size 11 shoe, you like electro and to top it off: You're a complete areshole. :)
well done mate, just the point I was trying to make:D

Emmett

Likes Dirt
Ok I can see the point he was trying to make, BUT
I don't see how anyone can be that offended by what the kid said.

If he had an actual go at him, being completely outrageous I would understand. But the comment that was made barely warrants a huff and puff let alone a thread pretty much warning any future semi-smart asses about how easy it is to track them down and cause harm to them.

Honestly this was just so completely over-reactive.
My 2 cents anyway/
Agreed with most of it. Not sure if he intends to cause harm but it is something that shouldn't even be bought into conjecture. Should be banned based upon that alone in my opinion...

Steve Angel,

Also to this is a public forum. If you believe that this "kid" was making a "smart arse" comment you probably want to go somewhere else as it is clear as day the comment really was SFA.

A rant with regards to young people and disclosure of information over the internet is not a a bad thing at all. The method by which it was done is total BS though. Unnecessary, questionably threatening and not justified.

If you disagree with any of this or feel as though anything has been taken out of context please let me know. The internet can be challenging like that at times.

*edit* just saw your last post. see above

Last edited:

mongoosedh

Banned
I really don't want to get into a bitch fest with you but look at the first post on page 2....olly1oo6 also voiced the same opinion as me.... oh and now Emmett

WRONG, WRONG, CORRECT, RIGHT, WRONG, CORRECT, WRONG..well only a tiny little....um well that's up for interpretation ...

Now its my turn.. I can see that you have way to much time on your hands and also that you "f#@kin whine a lot" :p ohh and you "spell like you are high."
I'm not denying anything. Find everything you like, I simply don't care about worthless peasents like yourself.

Last edited:

Steve Angel

Likes Bikes
Let me clear this up. I AM NOT threatening anyone. That was never my intention. I had a light hearted dig at the guy who posted on my thread by pm. Its no biggy. I also contacted a moderator and clarified sketchy areas of the rules for my own benefit. If you read my second essay:D I have tried to make it clear that I was just offering food for thought and bringing up a point which should be kept in mind. I am nearly 40 years old with a wife and young baby and really do have better things to do with my time. I thought it was an interesting subject, and it looks to be proving to be just that. PLEASE, lets not all get bent out of shape over it and just discuss the matter in hand sensibly. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.