Aaron Gwin Signs With Specialized

brendonj

Likes Dirt
What happens if he does get beat do they start blaming the bike which has a knock on effect " maybe Sam could of won in 2012 on a different bike or did everyone just step up there game.

Its going to be an interesting season I just wish it was longer and started earlier!
Last time I checked, the Demo and the Session have very similar shaped shock curves - the main part of the bike that is hard to change. Obviously the geo is different, but Gwin can get what he wants in his race bike. So I would not expect much change due to the bike. Off track stuff and injury is a bigger factor.

BLine

Squid
I find the whole thing hard to swallow. Only weeks before TWR had to submit the official team roster to the UCI and they didn’t have a signed contract with Gwin? FFS, he absolutely smashed the WC last year. There is definitely more to this. Have TWR been trying to resign Gwin since August? Would TWR come to the table in terms of dollars? Were there team problems behind the scenes? Was there a personality clash? Was the purpose of the letter of intent to buy Gwin more time why he talked to other teams? It will be very interesting to see how this plays out... it's never smart to burn bridges. Either Whiteley is reacting the way he has because he fucked up and covering his own ass, or Gwin really did the dirty.

heavyp

You heard it here first
touche HP -

Sam was absent from speech, ellocution lessions in his youth but he is probably a lot of fun to hang out with when drunk and loose in the a mountain resort town in the French Alps.
It didnt mean to come across harsh Sam's my favourite rider but I meant from what I've ever seen of him he seems quite subdued and quiet just not the biggest personality on the circuit I guess but still has a massive following.

Sic

Likes Dirt
I find the whole thing hard to swallow. Only weeks before TWR had to submit the official team roster to the UCI and they didn’t have a signed contract with Gwin? FFS, he absolutely smashed the WC last year. There is definitely more to this. Have TWR been trying to resign Gwin since August? Would TWR come to the table in terms of dollars? Were there team problems behind the scenes? Was there a personality clash? Was the purpose of the letter of intent to buy Gwin more time why he talked to other teams? It will be very interesting to see how this plays out... it's never smart to burn bridges. Either Whiteley is reacting the way he has because he fucked up and covering his own ass, or Gwin really did the dirty.
Yep there has to be more to it. If I was trying to get someone like Gwin to race for me I would have been pushing to have a contract signed by August/September, not waiting till December, so why wouldnt Whiteley get a contract signed by Gwin? Whiteley is no fool and hes not new to the game either so why the slip up? Seems odd.

brendonj

Likes Dirt
Yep there has to be more to it. If I was trying to get someone like Gwin to race for me I would have been pushing to have a contract signed by August/September, not waiting till December, so why wouldnt Whiteley get a contract signed by Gwin? Whiteley is no fool and hes not new to the game either so why the slip up? Seems odd.
I am already doubting the TWR side of the story. It sounds like a sob story. It is worded as if Gwin has signed a contract, but the reality is it is only a letter of intent..... There is a reason they have different titles. If this Whitely felllow was legitimate, he would have been upfront about the "letter of intent" aspect of the issue (i.e. something like "it has been tough, been trying to get Gwin on a full contract, there have been issues, dissapointed with how it unfolded, believe we did everything we could to get him to sign..." etc etc) and not written as if Gwin was actually in breach of a real contract.

Crazy how he says they tried to make contact a couple times..... You mean it was that important to him and all they did was leave a few emails or messages on his phone... Not sure if I understand what he means - but that is what it sounds like. Doesn't sound like they tried that hard or took it that seriously.

On top of that to go on about that they tried all legal avenue's but failed says exactly how it is - they didn't have a leg to stand on so it didn't work. So get over yourself and get on with things.

Reads more like a newspress release written for sensationalism than much truth. Pretty sad to put Gwin's behaviour into question based on what he has said is my conclusion.

My 2 cents.

dienamics

Likes Dirt
Fixed that up for ya there Scotty. Thanks for the support mate!
Hahahaha! Well played sir, well played.

Subaru Trek should put Emily Batty on a session 9.9. She may not make it down the hill, but I'm sure that will sell some bikes.
734823d1351868096-emily-batty-thread-battty.jpg
HEY'OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
It didnt mean to come across harsh Sam's my favourite rider but I meant from what I've ever seen of him he seems quite subdued and quiet just not the biggest personality on the circuit I guess but still has a massive following.
no harm mate it was funny............... we all like Mr Hill but he wasnt put on this earth for public speaking roles - just like our Primeminister.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Whiteley will be running a bed and breakfast if he pushes this topic too much. Not many business people on the grid will want to deal with him if he's seen as a whiner (which, clearly.....he is). I doubt the "Gwin to Specialized" thing was done outside of legal grounds, they'd lose too much from it. The way I see it is Gwin, being Trek World Racing's penpal, wrote a letter to them from a race in Europe saying he'd like to ride with them for another few years. In other words: Get a fucking contract written up and put it under my nose or I'll stand on the corner at night and sell myself to other teams.
I reckon the deal was done well before the end of the world cup season. I have no grounds to back that but I know stuff about some stuff.

I fully expected Gwin to throw the bike on the ground mid way through his world champs run and walk off to the nearest church. The story was that his brakes failed and his run was butchered before it began. I still find it so hard to believe both brakes failed at the same time. I can honestly say that I, at punter level, can set up my brakes to be one hundred percent reliable and not fail. These teams claim to run things that are superior to what you and I can buy solely for racing purposes but brakes? You can't go to wild with brake development as it is already a bloody powerful thing to have working correctly. What is the moral of my story? I reckon Gwin had a Specialized deal in place before the world champ and had some lovers tiff with Trek over it so he binned his run to stick it up them. That again is purely a rumor I hope to start to do the rounds on forums but it still holds same scientific value. ;)

For what it's worth, I hope Troy beats him at every race and wins everything he enters. I also reckon he'd be a good prime minister or state leader at best!

heavyp

You heard it here first
a new childish clip from Trek released today
[video=youtube;Q30G67w0iPM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q30G67w0iPM[/video]
Published on Jan 9, 2013
We have been working on a documentary style video of Aaron, due for release next month, which we now have to shelve. Here is a relevant excerpt from that video

Pretty sure that say 23degrees at the top of the letter of intent not Trek would that make a difference ?

Last edited:

Capone

Likes Dirt
Whiteley will be running a bed and breakfast if he pushes this topic too much. Not many business people on the grid will want to deal with him if he's seen as a whiner (which, clearly.....he is). I doubt the "Gwin to Specialized" thing was done outside of legal grounds, they'd lose too much from it. The way I see it is Gwin, being Trek World Racing's penpal, wrote a letter to them from a race in Europe saying he'd like to ride with them for another few years. In other words: Get a fucking contract written up and put it under my nose or I'll stand on the corner at night and sell myself to other teams.
I reckon the deal was done well before the end of the world cup season. I have no grounds to back that but I know stuff about some stuff.

I fully expected Gwin to throw the bike on the ground mid way through his world champs run and walk off to the nearest church. The story was that his brakes failed and his run was butchered before it began. I still find it so hard to believe both brakes failed at the same time. I can honestly say that I, at punter level, can set up my brakes to be one hundred percent reliable and not fail. These teams claim to run things that are superior to what you and I can buy solely for racing purposes but brakes? You can't go to wild with brake development as it is already a bloody powerful thing to have working correctly. What is the moral of my story? I reckon Gwin had a Specialized deal in place before the world champ and had some lovers tiff with Trek over it so he binned his run to stick it up them. That again is purely a rumor I hope to start to do the rounds on forums but it still holds same scientific value. ;)

For what it's worth, I hope Troy beats him at every race and wins everything he enters. I also reckon he'd be a good prime minister or state leader at best!
Agree with go Troy and top marks for the brake failure rumour, sadly there is a video with Shimano sitting down with Gwin and explaining the failure, i understand it was only with 1 brake which was a prototype.

heavyp

You heard it here first
He signed letter of intent not contract
A letter of intent: (LOI or LoI, and sometimes capitalized as Letter of Intent in legal writing, but only when referring to a specific document under discussion) is a document outlining an agreement between two or more parties before the agreement is finalized

and there selling his bike
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1253729/

best comment underneath asking "how are the brakes" hahah

Last edited:

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't know why but Trek leaves a sour taste in my mouth, Anyone watch Clunkers? Probably due to Gary Fisher. I cannot cop what he did to his partner/friend

heavyp

You heard it here first
Agree with go Troy and top marks for the brake failure rumour, sadly there is a video with Shimano sitting down with Gwin and explaining the failure, i understand it was only with 1 brake which was a prototype.
scroll to 7:49mins
[video=youtube;mIo0s_zm94c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIo0s_zm94c[/video]