AC's???

2004 Ac2 or 2004 Kona Stinky

• Total voters

trenta23

Likes Dirt
Hey guys i have been seeing some pretty awesome ac's lately that people have done up. I was just wondering what you guys that have ridden or have one think of them?

Some people say that they are to cross country ish but they look pretty hard core to me

And the 2004 ac2 looks awesome
http://www.giantbicycles.com/au/030...;bikesection=8787&range=41&model=9743

so yeh tell me some stories about what you have put yours through

Could you do 25 foot drops on them?

much tyre clearnce?

Tell Tell Tell

Ty

Eats Squid
trenta23 said:
Could you do 25 foot drops on them?
um, if your regularly doing 25 foot drops you should probably have yourself a sponsor/perfered brand by now and not have to make this choice.

personaly i've done 10-12 feet to a nice tranny on mine without a problem. but it's not really a hucking bike, it's a bike designed to be a trail bike that can do some light DH while still being able to be pedaled back up the hill.

if you use bikes for there designed function and you wont have any issues.

trenta23

Likes Dirt
When i said 25 foot drops im just asking random questions to see what you think they could handle...
I didnt say i could do them
So would they be good for like doing granton, rob roy and hurstbridge
they are the tracks that i mainly do but i tend to ride pretty hard and stuff
what do u think

Ty

Eats Squid
ACs arn't DH race bikes, you can race DH on them but if you break one doing so please don't come on here and bitch how you snapped the stays.

if you plan to race DH seriously get a proper race bike 2nd hand or just save for longer.

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They're an awesome all around bike.. I'm not familiar with those tracks but I'm sure it could hack wahtever you threw at it. It all comes down to how you ride the tracks. Heavy landings onto flats maybe not but smooth drops into tranny etc... they love it!!

CHEWY

Eats Squid
get the stinky, my mate had a lot of problems with his AC1, those problems might have been rectified by now but i had the stinky and had no problems. also the the stinky is more desinged with thrashing in mind than a AC
i wouldnt touch a 25ft drop on a AC...

S.

ex offender
25ft is the height of the BIGGEST line at the Red Bull Ride... only one rider out of a shitload of the world's biggest-going riders actually hit it, tell me you're really going to do the same thing?

AC's are all-round bikes... long travel trailbikes if you will. They're not meant for hardcore thrashing, nor XC, they're somewhere in-between - treat them as such.

Jordy

RYD4LF
ive got an 01 ac and ive neva had a problem with it there not exactly a trail bike... i used mine down at the local dirtjumps for some fun a while back and it was sweet !! the suspension dont soak up the lip so you get some hight but the suspension softens up the landing unlike a hardtail... if ur more into dh go the stinky or a 2nd hand dh bike like my avanti which is for sale ;) but yea if ur more into all sorts of stuff go the AC2 !!

®ider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Love the bike silver wahoo but im telling you trenta23 get the KONA STINKY 2004.! im getting one aswell, and from people i have heard that the AC's are not built for free-riding frame wise(i maybe wrong and im sorry) as the Kona Stinky,KONA started the free ride revelution man~!

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what size are you?
big, small?
what do you weigh?
big unit, or whippet?
if you are smaller and lighter the AC will do pretty much every thing you need, and so will the stinky.
why limit yourself to these two tho. if you want to do DH, look at a race specific frame then you can do whatever you want with it.

G

check out the forsale sections on the site there some bargains there

MIKEY B

Likes Dirt
Mines an AC2 2003 model with Junior T's up front.
Great buy so far, Has Manitou swinger on rear (4way) but stock spring 450lbs is to soft, will be going to 550 very soon and with the air adjust this should be great.
Fit some downhill / motorbike tubes if riding rocky trails to add some weight to the thing as can be a little light in this situation.
The only thing to really keep an eye on is your headtube area as mine has a 2" diameter ding from the first ride with the dual crowns and this was done by the rubber stoppers.
You can fit up to 2.7" tyres no worries front and rear and this helps to keep the thing on the ground.

Silver Wahoo

Likes Dirt
Oh yeah I forgot to say, I'm runnig a Fox RC which is 200mm eye to eye with a57mm stroke which takes the AC out to a 7 and a bit inch travel sled. Handling of the bike goes throught the roof with this upgrade.

Cheers

Tom

Likes Bikes
They are a bit wild on the steeper stuff with single crowns, I had psylos and it was pretty twitchy, but put a dual crown fork on it and totally changes the handling to the point of downhill super speed demon :)