[ACT] 2012 Australian Marathon Championships - Stromlo, 10th June

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Forecast ...

Looking dry, but cold. Still predicting -4 minimum overnight and 13 Max, but looking like clear, cold days with heaps of sunshine. Stay out of the wind (if any) would be the message.

Hades

Likes Bikes
Anyone know where (at what distances) the feedzones are and what will be there? Where will the one at the top of Stomlo be?

Also assuming that rego is at Mt Stromlo?

DuncanFG

Likes Dirt
Will there be food/water supplied at the feed zones? We've been a bit spoiled down in Melbourne with fully catered events thanks to BigHillEvents.

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
Drinks on us...

Anyone know where (at what distances) the feedzones are and what will be there? Where will the one at the top of Stomlo be?

Also assuming that rego is at Mt Stromlo?
Will there be food/water supplied at the feed zones? We've been a bit spoiled down in Melbourne with fully catered events thanks to BigHillEvents.

In the absence of anyone in authority .... and I don't have any [Le Matelot's probably still out there pegging out the course] my reckoning is;

20.6k Western Wedgetail
29.1k CarPark [Start/Finish]
39.8k Western Wedgetail
43.5 k CarPark [Start/Finish]

There's a tap on the lawn just as you crest the northernside FT climb [you'll know the one I mean when you're doing it:fat:] near the Observatory and a tap in the car park down at the Start/Finish..... hopefully, as hosts, we can do a bit more than that! I'm taking a bladder, just got to be careful it doesn't freeze on the start line. Pretty sure Rego will be adjacent to the car park somewhere.

....oh, and anyone thinking of doing a late entry in the 'Ultra Masters' Half Marathon, bring THE original copy of your birth certificate and both parents to sign a Stat. Dec. in front of the event registrar that it is YOU and that you have attained the age of 60+ years. ....... just saying, don't want any underhand business in the rush. Like the above, I don't have any authority for this rule but just wanting to retain the integrity for the winner in this category.:tickled_pink:

Le Matelot

Current Map and Village Plan

... can be viewed and downloaded here. These are big files, so if you want to download the map, you will be able to zoom in on those points where parts of the course are close together.

Be warned - still could change by race day ...

Le Matelot

Results streaming has started. Lap times about 20 minutes longer than expected. Jason English had a front shifter come off the bars during the first half lap, so that has slowed him down a bit.

too many gel wrappers

It was bullshit how many gel wrappers were thrown all over the course today. Just cos your in a race doesn't mean you can throw rubbish. May as well throw the rest of your crap out the car window. Lazy...

akashra

Eats Squid
Rohin, were there many/sufficient bins etc throughout the course or along firetrail sections? Was it confined to any particular areas of the course?

Note that the lack of any bins etc are in no way excuses the behaviour, but if there's something that's going to help prevent it, it's best to at least look at. I'd love to hear the riders excuses - is it an attitude that's just more accepted in Canberra? I'm curious, as I can honestly say I've never deliberately dropped a wrapper of any time throughout a race - and while, sure, we've all missed a jersey pocket every now and then, there can't be enough of that going on that would cause Rohin to have to comment on it - which, in my experience, he's always spot on with.

johndh

Likes Dirt
I agree with Rohin the amount of rubbish dropped by the 160 riders was amazing , the most i have seen at an event ,just put it back in your pocke, where it came from!
Overall I enjoyed riding the tracks, good venue, good amount of marshalls and volunteers around the track, well sign posted track , i quite enjoyed the 2 lap format, the 10.00 start was too later especially for the weekend warrior riders to complete two laps, but i suppose this is a national championships! I came through at 5 hr 48min and some of the bunting had been pulled down, and there were still riders behind me!

Death at the race

Does anyone know who was the person was that had the heart attack and died during the race? My deepest condolensences for the family....

Le Matelot

From MTBA President

Does anyone know who was the person was that had the heart attack and died during the race? My deepest condolensences for the family....
I can confirm that an MTBA member died whilst competing in the 2012 XCM Championships on Sunday 10 June. MTBA Staff met with the rider's partner to offer condolences and we are respecting their wishes until all family members have been notified. Once that has been done, MTBA will release a statement.

I made a short statement to riders and spectators before presentations, and also thanked the riders who stopped to offer assistance. Counseling was provided on-site to those involved. At this stage, the cause of death is not confirmed and this is best left to the coronial processes.

The single point of contact on this incident from MTBA is the Executive Officer.

I wish to thank all those riders that did render assistance, the professionalism of the MTBA Staff, in particular the Chief Commissaire and TD, and the CORC staff, their event managers and first-aid providers.

Russ Baker
President, MTBA

Death at the race

Russ

Thank you for the update.. Absolutely terrible and tragic news for all involved... And unfortunately it is one of those things that just happen... No point speculating about why or what as it very easily could have happenned when the person was sitting in front of the TV watching Sunday arvo footy....

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
That's tragic news, my thoughts go out to the family and friends and also to all other competitors at yesterday's event.

Le Matelot

Service for Justin

Justin's funeral service arrangements are 1030 on Monday 18th June at St Joseph's Church, Boronia Street, O'Connor, ACT. No flowers please but his Partner Jo, and Family, want to organise something to donate to if people would like to make a contribution. I will let you know when there are more details.

So who was Justin Lenehan our fallen friend?

A husband, a father, a brother, a lover a friend … just like anyone of us? I'd never heard of him … But on to the end to our family and friends to relax and reflect and contemplate the next …. for Justin our fallen friend, it's the end. He was one of us ….. let's all remember him.
I have extracted that from another post, but like all of us. you might be surprised who he was.

Justin was a PE teacher at Canberra High School. He started the mountain bike club at the school. With others, he worked to get the kids involved in trail conservation and riding at Bruce Ridge.

So, as Canbaroo said, I suspect he was just like anyone of us, like that vast bulk of people who contribute to our sport, that we never hear about, but we will miss their contribution. Its people like Justin who make mountain biking great.