ACT Pump Track Series

J3$$3

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
First off, I'm Jesse and I'm a local guy who chills at the dirt jumps, skate parks, bmx tracks, and just around. I'm on here at the moment to try to start a fun competition within the ACT, a "Pump Track Series" to sum up quickly. But first off I need to get some locations...
I personally have my own pump track in my backyard and run regular competitions and sesh's and they are great fun to try your limits and improve your skills. That's one, I'm looking roughly for another 3-5 tracks that I could organize with the owners to hold a competition that would run through the afternoon and into the night... I propose gungahlin's new pump track, part of the new Gungahlin Dirt Jumps (thanks to "Fr Drew"), as another, but only if people are willing. Each competition would consist of a $10 entry fee per each seperate location, and would go towards the food, non-alcoholic beverages and prizes awarded at the end of the series. The series would consist of 2 or 3 categories: 20", 26" and other (including 12", 16", 24", 29" and any others) and each competitor can compete in each category, although paying another $10. If I were to get this series up and running, I would like to get it going through the end of year, Oct-Mar.
So there is my proposal to you, my fellow burners, now what I would like is feed-back, positives, negatives, knowledge of people who may be willing to let me run an event like this on their track, idea's and possible sponsors...
please feel free to comment, private message me or whatever else
Cheers,
Jesse

Last edited:

robbyj

Squid
Insurance?

if someone hurts themselves on say your backyard track, and this is an "Event" .. im not entirely sure but i think somewhere along the lines someone could be liable.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, its a great idea, but it might be something worth looking into.

Kramer

FoBR
Touch base with CORC regarding insurance, they should be able to help with coverage under the MTBA arrangement - although this would mean that all competitors would need a MTBA licence or a $10? day licence.

In regards to venues, I though Queanbeyan also had a pump track out at Karabar.

If you get something well organised, speak to Gaz at Onya Bike Civic - his track hosted the pumptrack world champs in 2009 and Onya may also be nice enough to help with some sponsorship (they are a pretty good LBS).

J3$$3

Likes Dirt
Insurance?

if someone hurts themselves on say your backyard track, and this is an "Event" .. im not entirely sure but i think somewhere along the lines someone could be liable.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, its a great idea, but it might be something worth looking into.
Yes, I do see the insurance as being a troublesome point, and I was thinking along the lines of liability waiver that basically protects the series and owner of said track, as this would be a fun event, I do not believe that it will get to the stage of lawsuits...

Touch base with CORC regarding insurance, they should be able to help with coverage under the MTBA arrangement - although this would mean that all competitors would need a MTBA licence or a $10? day licence.

In regards to venues, I though Queanbeyan also had a pump track out at Karabar.

If you get something well organised, speak to Gaz at Onya Bike Civic - his track hosted the pumptrack world champs in 2009 and Onya may also be nice enough to help with some sponsorship (they are a pretty good LBS).
Thanks for the suggestion Kramer, i do know of "The Scar" pump track and could use that if people are willing to go the distance... And yes again, I was going to talk to Gaz in civic, and will be talk to him bout some of this stuff too.

J3$$3

Likes Dirt
Dropped past Onya Civic today, and Gaz has moved on from Onya... and I am well aware of the pump track world champs, they inspired my own pumptrack build :b