AUS Adelaide wins National MTB Championships bid

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Eagle Mountain Bike Park has successfully won the bid to host the MTBA National Mountain Bike Championships for the next 3 years. The deal will see a 4X track built, upgrades to the XCC and XCO track along with improvements to the DH track, access road, and a new finish line village.

Read more about it here.

Last edited:

mr ufo

UFO MTB Imports
Thats the worst kept secret in mtb circles that one ! Awesome venue ! Congratulations ...

... no uphill sprint to the finish please !

smytht1

Likes Dirt
Will be fun for riders, spectators, media people but most importantly volunteers during the hottest time of the year...

Just my 2 cents

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
Feb's hotter, but at Eagle you can add another 5 degrees for the white reflective sand. I'm racing in budgie smuglers.

Kane.

Likes Dirt
Glad to see Gus is holding it again.

I would have to say out of all the Nationals events I went to through out the season Eagle was easily the most organised and well ran Nationals events the only problem is the track ;)

scratchy

Farkin Activist
Well done boys it's going to be a massive 2 weeks of cycling in Adelaide with the Tour Down Under the week after.

I suspect there might be water issues at that time of the year with only a water tank at Eagle.

smytht1

Likes Dirt
The event will be good none the less (I love Eagle Park), personally I just think its a silly time of the year especially when you consider the xc guys

sitrus7

Likes Bikes
good to hear all the positives and negatives.

Yes its likely to be hot and dry. The timing of the race is to tie in with the tour down under (TDU). The National champs will finish the same afternoon that the TDU starts.

The advantage of linking with TDU is all the media and manufacturers are in town already and are likely to support and cover the National Champs. The South Australian Tourism commission is a major sponsor and its hoped that people can take advantage of already being in town for the champs by staying for a stage or two of the TDU. I will mean accommodation might be a priority.

To answer peoples questions about the DH track. There will be an extension to the track. It will mean a little more time but also more importantly more vertical drop.

Kezza dawG

Likes Dirt
what happened 2 illinbah?????????
its a steep high speed gnarlly track.
as opposed to a flatter slippery slower track.
sorry but thats my opinion.

Ezreal2001

Likes Bikes
what happened 2 illinbah?????????
its a steep high speed gnarlly track.
as opposed to a flatter slippery slower track.
sorry but thats my opinion.
:cool:

Guess Farkin will continue to spawn lots more "{Insert Venue Name} is da shitz and a shoulda got the Nats cos {Insert Current Nationals Venue Name} sux" threads

indica

Serial flasher
Congratulations to all.
I rode Eagle for the first time last week, did all the black diamond XC, and had a couple of runs down the DH, great, fun riding.
Well done.

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
Eagle Park is great

I visited Adelaide over the last few days, and had a chance to ride Eagle Park. I was really impressed and loved it.

I rode most of the trails over a few hours but could have spent many a day there riding very happily.

It is a bit more up and down than the riding in Canberra. The trails are varied and interesting. I thought the downhill run "the Mixer" was quite rideable and fun, and I ain't a downhiller.

I rode Sunset Boulevard just before sunset and thought it was pretty damn cool experience looking at Adelaide and watching the sun go down over the sea.

For those who are interested:
- a cab costs $30 from the Adelaide CBD to Eagle Mountain Bike Park. Quite a few cabbies did not know where it was, but most seemed to know where the "Eagle on the Hill" hotel was, and it is right across the road from ther park.
- riding back to town on the road is pretty much all down hill and a few k's of riding on riding on flat roads with decent bike lanes. Took me a lazy 20-30min to get back to town.
- there is water available on site via a few rain water tanks.

sam_burnsy

Likes Bikes
Eagle Park will be a fantastic location to hold the national champs for the next three years, with the already booming cycling culture in adelaide with the tour down under, bringing the mountain biking here will just increase that further, the access road down into eagle park should definately be fixed, and getting in and out should b a lot easier, tho with some work should be awesome, as well for photographers, a lot of fantastic spots are already there and no doubt will only be inhanced with the construction and upgrading

koe/extreme dh

Likes Dirt
Hi, im going to the National Champs and i have searched, and searched, and searched for details on ( how to get there, accomidation, and stuff like that) so i think a thred like Thredbo (all you need to no) , or Mt Buller (all you need to no) would be very useful for people who dont no how to get there like me :p

It sounds like a really good track from some mates who have been there, and the videos i have watched and could be just as good a turn out as Illinbah( even thought i havn't been to either).

Cheers Koe