Adjusting clipless pedals / cleats?

justinb

Likes Bikes
Hi,

THis may be a dumb question, but what is the theory / logic of adjusting pedals?

I have a set of PD-505 pedals and a pair of shimano moutain bike shoes.

my questions revolves around foot angle. At the moment, my feet both point 100% true north (assuming the front of the bike is true north)

Should I change and how do I change my pedals to have the toes pointing out slightly?

Why am I asking this?
(a) I read somewhere that if you walk with your toes pointing slightly out, you should setup your pedals the same
(b) I'm getting keen pain whilst riding.

My seat height is spot on according to my LBS has be got a tape measure out, had me wedge a book up my crack, measured to the floor and then measured from the pedal to the seat with the crank inline with the vertical tube... you get the picture.

cheers guys!
Justin

John U

MTB Precision
Hi,

THis may be a dumb question, but what is the theory / logic of adjusting pedals?

I have a set of PD-505 pedals and a pair of shimano moutain bike shoes.

my questions revolves around foot angle. At the moment, my feet both point 100% true north (assuming the front of the bike is true north)

Should I change and how do I change my pedals to have the toes pointing out slightly?

Why am I asking this?
(a) I read somewhere that if you walk with your toes pointing slightly out, you should setup your pedals the same
(b) I'm getting keen pain whilst riding.

My seat height is spot on according to my LBS has be got a tape measure out, had me wedge a book up my crack, measured to the floor and then measured from the pedal to the seat with the crank inline with the vertical tube... you get the picture.

cheers guys!
Justin
Some peoples toes point out, some peoples toes point in, and some are straight. Everyone is different.
If you are getting pain you should definitely look at getting your position adjusted. If you don't it could lead to permanent damage and put you off the bike. This has happened to many in the past.
You might need to get someone to help you get your position right.
I started to get sore knees with Shimano pedals a few years ago (505's i think). These pedals had a favoured position for your foot. If you cleat was on your shoe straight, then the pedal spring would align your foot in the straight position. There was some float, but the pedal and SPD spring favoured the straight position. This is not necessarily the correct position though.

I changed pedals and started using egg beaters. These have float as well but it is not loaded by spring into a dead straight position like my old shimanos were. It will sit up to 5 degrees (10 if you run the cleats the other way around) either side of straight with out any pressure straightening your shoe. This should let your foot sit in a more natural position. This stopped me having in knee soreness.

Hope this helps.