Advantages/Disadvantages????

MOXAB

Likes Dirt
Hey
I'm looking at getting a new freeride dually soon and was looking at some of the Specialized Big hit models. Anyway most of them have a 24" rear and a 26" front. What are the advantages/disadvantages of this and would you have this set-up on your bike?

bighitben

Likes Dirt
Yeah but they're talking about hardtails, im talking about dual suspension
Do you want to do just freeride or downhill aswell, because the bighits are made to be downhill bikes but have more of a freeride feel (correct me if i'm wrong). I have a bighit 2, its on lay-by and its taking for ever to pay off :mad:. But i think they'd be fine, maybe look at the Norco freeride range to.

But the bighits should be a good bike anyway, i'm getting mine for just below $2500 when the RRP is $3500... i'm pretty happy :D

zaccyboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not most of them were like that, I thought they just made 1 model like that a few years back now.

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah it makes you look like a post whore. use the search buton, if you cant find anything, PM someone. threads are a last resort.

le chat

Likes Dirt
Helpful!

If you can be arsed to bag someone why not just post something useful? If your sense of forum ettiquette has been somehow insulted by someone posting a question why not just move on and just not post a reply in the first place? Odd behaviour!

Anyway, the old big hits ran a 24" rear wheel some strange reason, I think the main rationales behind it were enabled a slacker front end but more importantly its viewed that at 24" wheel is tighter and stronger, just does not roll as well at high speeds. I think that the new BHs are all 26" up front. They're an OK bike for general riding and can dabble in the DH and FR scene pretty well.

Can't remember what the other part of your post was about but if you're looking for a budget FR HT look at the Norco FR range, Manic, Torrent etc. The Bike Shed Mortdale are pretty good stockists.

Enjoy the riding and interesting avatar, you're not a disgruntled employee of a certain German bank are you?!

adamenp

Likes Bikes
Hey Mate
Dont know if this helps ... but i just got a norco shore 1 and i absolutely love it ... its the best freeride bike by far

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
There is movement towards larger wheels now rather than smaller. Smaller was a mistake for DH FS bikes and I personally avoid it like the plague. Find me a really top-notch manufacturer who makes them nowadays.

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
Oh yeah,
I'm buying a secondhand Norco Shore at bargain price tomorrow for a mate, can't wait to have a blat on it! All I've heard is good about it even if it's an old design.