NSW Adventure Activity Standards

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Hey all new Adventure Activity Standards are slowly being introduced around the country. Now is NSWs turn

These standards do have the potential to effect Mountain bike clubs and groups. While they are "voluntary guide lines" if something was to go wrong on a ride you had organised and those guide lines hadn't been met or weren't followed you could be in the poo

While our advice is it wont effect racing it will effect social rides and guided tours type stuff.

If you want to get better informed or want to have a say in the outcome there are several community forums planned. Check out the following from more info

http://www.oric.org.au/AAS-NSW/IndustryForums.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm although expressly 'industry' I wonder how ORIC meshes with the MTBA-is-for-racing void.

Be good if both MTBA and BNSW had reps at one forum session at least. Not to mention key land managers, RTA and the police.

I wonder if guidelines might be developed for non road race events such as the late lamented Polaris Challenge and MTB orienteering events, thus providing guidance to help RTA/NSW Police to be a bit more reasonable.

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
I went to the Homebush session. My notes and draft MTB AAS are available below.

There has been some confusion about when and how they will apply (eg NoBMob thread on this topic).

They will apply when ever there is an appointed "leader" to guide/assist
"dependents", where those dependants could not undertake the activity to the same standard without the leader. Examples are paid commercial MTB tours, organised club social rides, scout rides, school rides. There are some obvious grey areas - informal rides organised through clubs, formal rides organised on Rotorburn.

So all clubs and ride organisers need to get active and read the draft AAS. ORIC reckons the AAS will become mandatory in future, if other states are any example.

Attachments