Advice on registering a Domain name wanted

Rik

logged out
This is outside my scope of geekery, whilst I am well experienced with the basics of internerding going any further than forum whoring is beyond me.
I need a domain name. I need it pretty fast too... a mate has offered me web space so that's sorted, but I need the name confirmed and operational by the weekend. Yes, it's a demand, but not from me but someone above... I'm just the pleb that has to make it happen.
That isn't so much of a problem in itself, but before I jump in head first I'd like a bit of advice.
My main queries are: Is there a major difference between forking out, say, $80/year through one company vs. $20 a year through another? Just how much support and backup can be offered on such a thing to justify the cost difference? Once this is set up I can't imagine we'd have worries unless there's a server change or the like and we'd have ample warning, so I'd like to know what else there is to worry about in justifying costs.
Another thing, can private registration be used? For I'd rather conceal my current details for the sake of paranoia... I wouldn't be doing anything naughty as such with the site but have a feeling that associating my address with the domain could cause a problem or two in the future :rolleyes:

Finally, with that out of the way... where would you recommend I look to buy the domain, and do I need to worry about anything else other than supplying the hosting info and paying my cash?

Thanks in advance, I need all the help I can get right now :)

nein!

Squid
Hey Rik,

Welcome to the inherant supperiority that can only come from owning your own website. Please feel free to pick up your own 'liscence to be a jackass to everyone on the net who doesn't own a site' t-shirt from the lobby.

Seriously though, if your friend has offered you web space, then you aren't looking at paying the $80 or so per year. The ~$80 is purely for the web hosting, ie. what you have said your friend could supply for you. The only cost would be one of purchasing the actual domain name; such as www.farkin.net

This should only set you back about $15AUS. Registration of the domain normally takes 48hours, give or take. It will take this long regardless of companies, as it all goes through the one official branch of INTARWEBZ CORPORATION (????).

Once you have recieved conformation of the successful domain registration, you're all set to go on your mate's webspace.

Hope that helped :)

nevot

Likes Bikes
Kay, couple of things.

Is the domain name you want available?
If it is, is it an encombered domain name that is held by a reseller?
Have you got someone to host your DNS, MX etc records or is that what you want the registrar to do as part of the service?

Depending on the name that you want it may actually cost you to purchase the name and that may not include the hosting of the records so that you can point people to your site.

In Oz domains are handled by Melbourne IT at a top level with smaller orgs buying groups of names and then reselling them with other services.

You can check the availability of the domain name via Melbourne IT at the following URL

http://www.melbourneit.com.au/

or you can check here

http://www.whois.com.au/index.html

If your domain is available then it should just be a matter of going through the process at melb it to get it registered with you as the owner. you will need to provide a selection of information some sorta personal i guess like business address, billiing details and some other type stuff.

Some registrars offer a cheaper registration fee, but there may be issues in the small print. Read everything well before committing to the purchase.

Is there a major difference between forking out, say, $80/year through one company vs. $20 a year through another? Just how much support and backup can be offered on such a thing to justify the cost difference?
It depends on what they are offering for the price. If they are just offering to register your domain and nothing else then go cheap. If the price includes DNS hosting and other stuff you want then the money that you pay will also go towards that service. In that case the more money you spend should equate to a better uptime for the hosting of your records. When ever the DNS host is down, people will have difficulty getting you your site. If this is a concern look at the reputation of the company providing the hosting.

Another thing, can private registration be used? For I'd rather conceal my current details for the sake of paranoia... I wouldn't be doing anything naughty as such with the site but have a feeling that associating my address with the domain could cause a problem or two in the future :rolleyes:
You can get private registration, but im not sure how it works. I personally have not had to use it but here are a couple of places that speak of it.

http://www.domainregister.com/private-registration.html
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/

The thing that i have seen done it people create a sacrificial email address like tech@mydomain.tld and then use that for the registration, then for the other details use only company information and not personal info.

Finally, with that out of the way... where would you recommend I look to buy the domain, and do I need to worry about anything else other than supplying the hosting info and paying my cash?
Find if the name you are after is avail and if it is you may only have one choice with who you register with. People buy up good names for the express purpose of making cash from folk in this position. Other than that i guess i have really only delt with Melb IT and some Govt stuff.