Advice Wanted - New Bike Warranty

Rider_of_Bikes

Likes Dirt
Its really interesting to hear from someone in the industry.

I do have one question about this situation, did you keep the customer informed as it went along ?

My biggest issue at the moment is the shop makes no effort to keep me in the loop / seems like they couldnt care less, and to be frank i expect better service.

I'm not blaming them for the delays as I know its out of their control but after more than 2 weeks the only communication I've had was from me calling them !
Just one more thought. Maybe ask to speak to the manager one day about the lack of comms. Dont be malicious aboit it bit let them know you have paid good money and dont feel the service is acceptable. Based on their response either continue to use that shop or find a new one. Staff need leadership and you can only expect staff to respond how their superior would.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
We are human and make mistakes. We do our best to own those mistakes and rectify them asap.
+1 to your attitude RoB. People will remember you more for how you deal with your mistakes than the actual mistake itself.

I think I get what redbruce was trying to say - none of us should have to put up with piss-poor service, and wouldn't in other situations. Could you imagine not having your car for a week, because one of the dealer's mechanics quit and they hadn't even opened the bonnet for 4 days.

Take your Guide brake example - SRAM has known about this for ages. Are mtb brakes any less critical than brakes on a car? Arguably not. Yet if a car manufacturer finds a systematic problem with the brakes on a vehicle model, they get on the front foot, issue a recall and fix it at no cost to the owner (and probably at no cost to the dealer too). SRAM on the other hand chooses to ignore the problem and respond to customer complaints on an ad-hoc basis, have no replacement stock available and don't support the LBS by compensating them for their time to swap out faulty brakes. If the fix is as simple as replacing the lever internals (as it appears to be), why couldn't they issue these service kits to LBS so the issue could be fixed in a matter of days and compensate them for their labour? In other words, step up, own the issue, put corporate greed aside and act in the best interests of their customers.

I'm not suggesting that it's likely to get better any time soon, but why should we have to accept a relatively poor standard of service? And I think redbruce was suggesting that if we keep accepting this, like chocko does, it's never likely to improve?

BTW, I'm with you chocko, in that I'm not prone to raging at my LBS either; they are the ones caught between the customer and supplier in these situations. A retailer does need to take the good with the bad though - and that should go for the supplier as well.

Rider_of_Bikes

Likes Dirt
+1 to your attitude RoB. People will remember you more for how you deal with your mistakes than the actual mistake itself.

I think I get what redbruce was trying to say - none of us should have to put up with piss-poor service, and wouldn't in other situations. Could you imagine not having your car for a week, because one of the dealer's mechanics quit and they hadn't even opened the bonnet for 4 days.

Take your Guide brake example - SRAM has known about this for ages. Are mtb brakes any less critical than brakes on a car? Arguably not. Yet if a car manufacturer finds a systematic problem with the brakes on a vehicle model, they get on the front foot, issue a recall and fix it at no cost to the owner (and probably at no cost to the dealer too). SRAM on the other hand chooses to ignore the problem and respond to customer complaints on an ad-hoc basis, have no replacement stock available and don't support the LBS by compensating them for their time to swap out faulty brakes. If the fix is as simple as replacing the lever internals (as it appears to be), why couldn't they issue these service kits to LBS so the issue could be fixed in a matter of days and compensate them for their labour? In other words, step up, own the issue, put corporate greed aside and act in the best interests of their customers.

I'm not suggesting that it's likely to get better any time soon, but why should we have to accept a relatively poor standard of service? And I think redbruce was suggesting that if we keep accepting this, like chocko does, it's never likely to improve?

BTW, I'm with you chocko, in that I'm not prone to raging at my LBS either; they are the ones caught between the customer and supplier in these situations. A retailer does need to take the good with the bad though - and that should go for the supplier as well.
✔

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

chocko

Likes Bikes
Sorry about the little outburst and my potty mouth. I just get a little frustrated with how people go on like every retail shop is crap and they are all trying to screw you over at all times. This isn't unique to the bike industry either, its wide spread and the boom in online shopping has probably fueled it. Sure I buy online and its super convenient for a lot of things and sometimes cheaper but there are some things that it's just more sensible to buy at a bricks and mortar shop, which is why I do what I can to support the LBS.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Meanwhile fuckwits keep buying online and when your shit breaks enjoy the awesome reality of packaging shit up, paying for postage and then waiting for a dumb ass reply assuming you get one. Hmmm that last paragraph sounds familiar.......
I enjoy being a fuckwit and spending my money where I please and buying items at half the local price. Why should I pay a local premium price for often shit service? :der:

I buy everything online, mostly overseas but a couple of the local online stores have some good prices now and then.

I have had warranty claims 3 times in the last 8 years or so, via CRC, Wiggle and bike discount. CRC and Wiggle replaced the item within a week, bike discount took nearly 3 weeks (slow mail). Riding companions with issues, bike is in the shop for weeks to months, better warranty service internationally - with places like hope and chris king you can deal direct with them.

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
I enjoy being a fuckwit and spending my money where I please and buying items at half the local price. Why should I pay a local premium price for often shit service? :der:

I buy everything online, mostly overseas but a couple of the local online stores have some good prices now and then.

I have had warranty claims 3 times in the last 8 years or so, via CRC, Wiggle and bike discount. CRC and Wiggle replaced the item within a week, bike discount took nearly 3 weeks (slow mail). Riding companions with issues, bike is in the shop for weeks to months, better warranty service internationally - with places like hope and chris king you can deal direct with them.
I'm still waiting for my cracked trek frame to be replaced and that's been a couple of months, done through a local shop. To be fair it's not really their fault as they have to wait for the trek to send the replacement.

Have had awesome service from cyclinic dealing with them online. Had a problem with a new set of forks, sent them pack postage paid and they turned it around in a couple of days. They had already sorted the warranty claim with fox before the forks arrived so they just needed to swap bits and send them back. Was very impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am pleased to hear RoB's rhetoric about service being part of their business model. Sadly this is not the case in a lot of my experiences with bike shops! Great mechanics, great riders, shit at customer service.

The "I'll call you back..." is one I hate the most; when it doesn't happen. I wanted to buy a RD hanger for my bike. Called the retailer I got it from, no call back. Called another store in another region, call back within the hour when they had an ETA and I paid for it to be posted to me.

There is a bit of an oddity within the bike industry that you have to have a 'relationship' with the shop to get the best service. I find this hard to take because every interaction is a relationship and whether or not someone has spent $50 or $5000 at the shop the level of service should be equal. The potential of that $50 relationship turning into a $5k one is real.

I buy most if not all my stuff online due to time. However I have bought small parts from an LBS before and I got the best service, like I was a long time customer. So when I needed kids helmets, bidden cages, kids scooter.... guess where I went?!?!

Last edited:

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
Wow, and I though i had to wait too long. Hope you get it soon mate !
Well i got it back, but not super happy..

They had to give me a new rear wheel because new frame has boost spacing on rear. So they gave me a 29+ rim with 40mm internal width, to go with my front flow ex of 25mm internal width..

I've asked the shop if they can ask trek to get me a matching front wheel too, which would also require a new fork as my current fork is non boost and I'm guessing they don't have any of those wheels laced to non boost hubs.

Didn't give me a new tyre for it either, so it has 2.25" ardent race on a 40mm rim ffs.

Flow-Rider

Burner
What he said ^^^^

I think you need to get in contact with the LBS and sort it out, if they ignore you take it further.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Well i got it back, but not super happy..

They had to give me a new rear wheel because new frame has boost spacing on rear. So they gave me a 29+ rim with 40mm internal width, to go with my front flow ex of 25mm internal width..

I've asked the shop if they can ask trek to get me a matching front wheel too, which would also require a new fork as my current fork is non boost and I'm guessing they don't have any of those wheels laced to non boost hubs.

Didn't give me a new tyre for it either, so it has 2.25" ardent race on a 40mm rim ffs.

yeah that aint going to work for you. Take it back mate and dont take no for an answer- the biggest bike company on the planet should be able to replace your busted frame.

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
yeah that aint going to work for you. Take it back mate and dont take no for an answer- the biggest bike company on the planet should be able to replace your busted frame.
Aye - consumer law is on your side here. That warranty replacement is not fit for purpose.

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
Hoping to hear back from the lbs this week, they have been good to deal with so far just seems like Trek are being difficult.

I might call them tomorrow and check what's up, and mention that those tyres are not going to work on those rims so they can chuck in some tyres too... at least then it will be rideable.

Would have been way less hassle to just give me a new damn bike.

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
I wonder if anyone would know how to relace your old rim to the Boost hub?

Call me experimental...
I would have been happy with that, but don't see why I should need to pay for it. New spokes and a wheel build aren't cheap.