Advice

juliancantride

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
I am building up my first street/4x bike.
I have some specs in mind but I was hoping to see if there were, in your opinion, any better parts out there. I am looking to spend around $2200, and trying to get it around 13-14kg.

Here are my specs I have so far:

Frame:NS Bitch 08 White
Fork: Rockshox Pike 426 08 White
Headset:FSA Pig DH
Bottom Bracket:
Cranks:Shimano Saint
Bars:
Stem:Straitline wedge pink
Wheels:MTX/Mavic E721
Front Hub:Hope Pro 2
Rear Hub:Hope Pro 2 trials
Pedals:Straitline Pink
Brake:Avid Juicy Carbon
Tyres:Schwalbe Table Tops
Grips:Hoffman mushroom Pink
Sprocket:
Seat:
Seat Post:

Where I have left spaces I am still looking for a part. As you can see I am going with a pink and white theme:)

Last edited:

matty hall

Likes Dirt
cranks: saints
Bars: anything FUNN they are sikk
and change the rims to mavic ex721. they are lighter and pretty much the same strength.

Cooch

Likes Dirt
Wow! you'll be able to go top top spec with a budget like that!

Go a Chris King headset instead of the FSA!

I like to have a "theme" or "fashion statement" when I build a bike... Primary Colour = Frame, Secondary colour = forks, tertiary colour = rims, cranks, pedals, bars etc...

For example: if you go white Deity cranks, go with white rims, white stem etc. and then set that off with say brown seat, pedals & grips... You get what I mean :D

I'd recommend some white FUNN Descenders for your rims, then choose a contrasting Hope hub colour (blue), then offset with black spokes :p Always looks super sexy. I'll post a pic of a build I did that's like this.

bodsta

Squid
great

i must say i wish i had the money to do something like that. it sounds awesome no objections on parts. just great:D

juliancantride

Likes Dirt
Wow! you'll be able to go top top spec with a budget like that!

Go a Chris King headset instead of the FSA!

I like to have a "theme" or "fashion statement" when I build a bike... Primary Colour = Frame, Secondary colour = forks, tertiary colour = rims, cranks, pedals, bars etc...

For example: if you go white Deity cranks, go with white rims, white stem etc. and then set that off with say brown seat, pedals & grips... You get what I mean :D

I'd recommend some white FUNN Descenders for your rims, then choose a contrasting Hope hub colour (blue), then offset with black spokes :p Always looks super sexy. I'll post a pic of a build I did that's like this.
Yer I'm with you on that one:p
I'll check out the chris king headset, but I was thinking about trying to spend a little less on parts such as seatposts, headsets and BB's, while still getting a decent part. Does anyone have any good, fairly light DJ/BMX seats?

nitrous to burn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For the bars i would be looking at Azonic 1.5-2 inch rise! They are strong and light and haven't(sp?) let me and my mates down from 2 years of riding, Usually about $100 or less.

For the seat and seat post again the azonic dirt jump saddle in black and army camo with a easton or thomson seatpost would be light yet really good. Price is round about $50 for the saddle and about $50-$70 for the seatpost, which is light.
Hope this helps, Tom

rider_jake

Likes Dirt
yea azonic seats are really soft and comfy ive heard a few things wrong about the straitline stem tho, apparently they dont tighten really well. and 200 or however much it is is a bit overpriced. and in my opinion i would get argyles because theyre stiffer and feel safer to ride.

Cooch

Likes Dirt
Cooch's build philosophy

Yer I'm with you on that one:p
I'll check out the chris king headset, but I was thinking about trying to spend a little less on parts such as seatposts, headsets and BB's, while still getting a decent part. Does anyone have any good, fairly light DJ/BMX seats?
When I build a bike for downhill / freeride or dirt jump, I spend my money on the: Frame, Forks, Hubs & Headset - as they are the heart and lungs of your bike. Investment in these 4 things will pay you off big time in both fun and feel!!

Everything else is ancilliary and if you ride your bike hard - you'll tend to replace bits regularly - so buy good but cheap! eg. dont buy XTR or Sram X0 - get XT or X9.

My 5c

juliancantride

Likes Dirt
yea azonic seats are really soft and comfy ive heard a few things wrong about the straitline stem tho, apparently they dont tighten really well. and 200 or however much it is is a bit overpriced. and in my opinion i would get argyles because theyre stiffer and feel safer to ride.
LOL, how do argyles feel safer to ride tha pikes? Anyways I want the pikes because I will be doing a bit of downhill as well. I've decided to go with Cooch's advice and go a Chris King headset, and I'll look into the azonic bars, cheers for the help, any more help/info would be great:)

Cooch

Likes Dirt
The King headset will outlast your frame! :p

There are a couple of reputable ebay sellers that stock Chris King headsets for around $150. I think "goboseller" from Japan has them (just search ebay). I've dealt with him before - he's very good. Good luck.

Last edited:

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Argyles are beefier. More bushing overlap, stiffer stanchions, I think, from sight, they run a thicker steerer tube.

But unless you're heavy it is partly perception. The pikes will be fine. I run recons with QR @130mm and they still feel great.

rider_jake

Likes Dirt
haha i raced on holyrollers :cool: they roll really well and grip a bit ;)
really good for dirtjumping,4x,sk8park and it just makes it a more fun dhing.:)