After rec's for good women's bike clothing please

MrsH

Likes Dirt
Either online or real shops in east/outer east of Melbourne..

I've been uninspired by what I've seen so far, where is a good place for a decent range?

Thanks in advance :D

Cypher

Likes Dirt
I don't wear any bike specific clothing. I found my bike shorts were always needed to be washed (me being in charge of my laundry) when I wanted to ride, so I just got used to wearing normal clothes.

That way you get to wear what ever you like on the bike (read: the last pair of clean pair of shorts) :) An you don't need to send $$$ on bike clothes.

Sure you bum hurts a little initally, but you get used to it. I'll ride 50km+ on single trail this way and I never found I sat down a lot downhilling. I have even worn my dresses and skirts on the bike going to work!

Break free of the tyranny of bike clothing!

foxcgirl

Likes Bikes
What were you looking for in particular?
Knicks?
Shy shorts?
S/S Tops?
Tanks?
Cycle Skins?
Bargain prices, or high end?
Normal looking clothing, nothing too pink or flowery?

MrsH

Likes Dirt
Thanks ladies.

Cypher, my wardrobe is so limited that I really need to go 'bike' clothes so that I don't trash what little I have already..

foxcgirl, I am after knicks, 3/4 length for preference, and tops, prefer 'nice' but not too flowery.. And to be extra picky as cheap as possible but good quality ;) I've not seen cycle skins, are they similar to those you see for runners/footy players?

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Cypher, my wardrobe is so limited that I really need to go 'bike' clothes so that I don't trash what little I have already..
Ahh. ;) Any excuse to go shopping.

Really, you don't need bike clothing - except if you want to "look" the part and feel the need to spend up big. For which I would respond...

1. No one cares what you look like when you ride a bike - it is a consumerist mind set. I saw two old men on Kmart bikes, toe cages and trackydaks at Appin on Sunday arvo and they were ripping it up. I had trouble keeping up.
2. Who cares how fancy you bike clothes are when you are sweaty and dusty/muddy at the end of a ride? It matters that you enjoyed your ride
3. Lycra tears easily - so when you fall off your bike and rip the bottom out of your $90 bike shorts it will hurt more than the bruises

If your wardrobe is limited because of lack of $$$, then purchasing bike specific clothes is not the way to go. I get most of my outdoors clothing from Vinnies etc - the quality is reasonably good these days (as they send all the worn clothing to developing countries). These clothes can get ripped, torn, greasy and muddy and who cares? I even found a stack of lululemon clothing one day.

Chickpea

Cannon Fodder
If you want to have a look at stuff on the internet try Torpedo 7. They have some NZO clothing on sale cheap at the moment but only in limited sizes & I find they're great quality & good fit.

MrsH

Likes Dirt
Thanks again, Cypher, y'know that thought crossed my mind after I replied earlier (ie buy new 'casual' clothes) :cool:

Chickpea, thanks, I'll check out Torpedo7, hubby has bought stuff from them before..

monc

Likes Dirt
Ground Effects (another NZ co) has a good range of womens clothing.

I'd have to disagree on the need for bike knicks - I can't ride for long without them (maybe just a sensitive arse?? :eek:). If your budget is limited, this would be the one thing that I'd recommend getting. You definitely don't need to spend a lot on cycling specific tops, pretty much anything that's not cotton (very yucky when sweaty and doesn't dry).

Anaconda (in Bayswater) has some basin cycling stuff, but I'd only get it when they're having a sale.

MrsH

Likes Dirt
Thanks monc, I called in @ Anaconda yesterday, looks like they have a sale starting next week as I saw the brochure. Had 40% off some clothing by looks..

alli

Squid
if your after cheap, but reasonable quality, I got a pair of ADLI running pants (tights) on sale there, but I usually buy online either torpedeo7 or cell bikes!

Brodie10

Likes Bikes
Fox makes some good chicks mtb gear, check out or ask your LBS and they might be able to help you out. its usually quick dry, breathable and doesnt tear as easil;y as normal clothes might. also has inbuilt padding without being skintight. but otherwise yeah just some old clothes for a bit of dirty mtb will do the job.

MrsH

Likes Dirt
Thanks alli & guys :)

I had a look at Cell Bikes today and ordered some stuff.. Great site/store by the looks. Hubby was v impressed with 24 Gu's for $58 so we bought those and I've ordered some long pants and a top which were on special. It's a start ;)

ETA,

Fox stuff looks good; and to be totally female what I've seen 'matches' the colour of my bike.. Hehehe :p

Ground Effects is a fave of hubby's so will also check them out!

Last edited: