Aftermarket Yokes available for $pecialized Enduro

mitchy_

Llama calmer
doesn't help that the enduro's use a custom stroke length. (216x57mm)

by the time you buy a shock, the yoke (which is ~$150 on it's own) and send it to somewhere like NSD to have the stroke reduced, surely it's going to be a costly exercise. only selling point i can see is wanting to use a certain shock not available. there are shocks like the Float DPS, Monarch Plus, CCDBa/CCDBi, Ohlins STX/TTX and Push ElevenSix available, so a decent range.

i also vaguely remember reading something about the fixed yoke helping with side loading on the rear end? cool none the less, would be handy to have just to test out any old shock, as a 216x63 will fit in most cases, and give you around 175mm rear travel.

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
... surely it's going to be a costly exercise...
That's why specialized designed it that way. They always try to use shocks with slightly different eye-to-eye or stroke. Total PITA.

as a 216x63 will fit in most cases, and give you around 175mm rear travel.
It is very easy to shorten the stroke on any of those air shocks from 63mm to 57mm. All you need is a 6mm spacer inside the air can. Shortening the eye-to-eye on a shock is the mod that's more involved.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
That's why specialized designed it that way. They always try to use shocks with slightly different eye-to-eye or stroke. Total PITA.

It is very easy to shorten the stroke on any of those air shocks from 63mm to 57mm. All you need is a 6mm spacer inside the air can. Shortening the eye-to-eye on a shock is the mod that's more involved.
From my understanding, they are all standard shocks just with the travel and/or e2e reduced. And a special mount of course.
I can buy a brand new monarch plus in 216x57 with the spesh mount for the same price as a normal monarch plus though.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i also vaguely remember reading something about the fixed yoke helping with side loading on the rear end?
I used to wonder if it was the mounting that put extra side load on the shocks causing some of the reliability problems.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I used to wonder if it was the mounting that put extra side load on the shocks causing some of the reliability problems.
Speaking to a few suspension guru's suggests the high leverage ratio is what causes the cane creek shocks in particular to chuck a tantrum.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Speaking to a few suspension guru's suggests the high leverage ratio is what causes the cane creek shocks in particular to chuck a tantrum.
I had a trouble free run from my CCDBCS. I got it serviced by NSD just as routine maintenance.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I had a trouble free run from my CCDBCS. I got it serviced by NSD just as routine maintenance.
Good to hear!

Not sure if it's just coincidence, but nothing in the 2016 specialized lineup uses cane creek any more.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I can buy a brand new monarch plus in 216x57 with the spesh mount for the same price as a normal monarch plus though.
Would this require a custom tune/re-valving for the Enduro's high leverage ratio or is it already specifically tuned. If so, where are these available? The Fox/Corset combo is pretty good for short - medium descents, but definitely loses it on long runs.

placebo

Likes Dirt
Also the yokes produce a larger bending force on the shock and tend to flog out the air piston sealing and score up the chamber as a result. The piston is secured by a couple of counter sunk bolts with a short thread depth, so the threads on the piston strip as well. MTBR has a thread showing this, and it seems to apply to other yoke driven frames like the pivot mach6.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/cane-creek-double-barrel-air-air-can-service-942272.html

placebo

Likes Dirt
Also, fuck weird shock lengths. Fuck weird eyelet sizes and mounting hardware. And fuck boost, both ends, at the same time.

slowmick

38-39"

MRO

Likes Dirt
saw this one today.

https://r2-bike.com/ROCK-SHOX-Rear-Shock-Monarch-Plus-RC3-DebonAir-with-specially-Tune-2016

my DBinline is off being fixed. Was last with NSD in December.
Contact Cane Creek direct and they will give you an upgrade to the DB Air CS for $100. I received mine last week and two other friends did the same in the last month. Cane Creek have done a deal with Specialized to offer the upgrade. Took 5 days delivered to my door. Similar to the Inline but better and apparently more reliable

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Also the yokes produce a larger bending force on the shock and tend to flog out the air piston sealing and score up the chamber as a result. The piston is secured by a couple of counter sunk bolts with a short thread depth, so the threads on the piston strip as well. MTBR has a thread showing this, and it seems to apply to other yoke driven frames like the pivot mach6.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/cane-creek-double-barrel-air-air-can-service-942272.html
With limted length and limted diameter in such shock assemblies to fit into frames, wear of moving parts is a fact of life. The air piston seals, rod guide and piston guide together work as a team to resist flex, but do wear. As the rod and piston guides are lubricated by oil they can be harder materials, the air Pistons quad ring is the first to go.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I suspect due to their partnership with Ohlins, above anything else.
Ohlins shock is only on the Enduro and Demo. Plenty more bikes in their fleet.

Last year the Enduro had fox or cane creek, this year it's fox, rockshox or ohlins; so they have a actually broadened the range and still dropped cane creek.

slowmick

38-39"
Contact Cane Creek direct and they will give you an upgrade to the DB Air CS for $100. I received mine last week and two other friends did the same in the last month. Cane Creek have done a deal with Specialized to offer the upgrade. Took 5 days delivered to my door. Similar to the Inline but better and apparently more reliable
You mean contact Cane Creek in the US or the local agent (NSD). who did you contact? given i am of husky build the DBAir makes more sense.