Again roady advice and guidance.

scblack

Leucocholic
As a MTBer surely you would have to stretch the budget for a disc brake roadie?
On a roadie I don't see the appeal. Skinny tyres limit maximum braking capacity. Adds weight. I have no problems whatsoever with my road brakes.

Cyclocross I'll accept disc brakes are worthwhile, but not on a standard roadie.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Na it will be mainly commuting and fitness, would rather spend more to get a better road bike tan disc brakes. Although the hill just next to my house with over 500m vertical climbing over about 5km they would be good when coming back down. I have gone half way with my old heavy flat bar and its crappy rim brakes though. It scares my more than MTBing coming down that on the road.

I like the new Allez but can get a deal and free computer and stuff chucked in on the new defy 3. I see both have same standover (Allez 52cm) and (defy 50cm) of 777mm. Allez is slightly sportier with very slightly shorter top tube and wheelbase for the same standover.

Mafra

Likes Bikes
I bought a second hand Giant OCR 3 (much the same as the defy 3 you're looking at in function, lower spec).

I rode it for a few years, upgraded the running gear to a mix of sram force and rival (transferred the old gear to a CX build up), rode it until the front fork developed some cracking and now i'm going to move the running gear to a chinese carbon fibre frame when I'm back on the bike.

If you are flush - go new, and possibly consider the defy 2 - the tiagra 10 spd is probably a bit nicer than sora 9spd as an overall groupset.

If there's plenty of other things for you to spend money on, go second hand, just be patient in looking.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Cheers Mafra, yes always have plenty of other things to spend money on with a young family and old house. Although don't mind spending a little on something like bikes being my hobby, sport, interest, form of exercise and also I ride to work saving fuel etc. I do have a flat bar at the moment which is now 7-8years old. Its in good nick but pretty heavy. Might keep riding it a few months. Been saving Christmas and money from birthdays as I did for my first MTB.

scblack

Leucocholic
Nope. Road bikes on tarmac have way more grip than wide tyres on most MTB terrain.

The appeal is the same as when it came to MTB.
Fair enough. But how often on a roadie are you fully on the brakes anyway? Its not like you are sliding into a corner like on the MTB is it? On the MTB you are sliding, setting up for corners etc but you don't do that on a roadie.

No, I see no appeal for the roadie. :wave:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
disc brakes aren't needed, but i value mine on my disc cx that is predominately used as a commuter.

i can ride in the rain and know that when i pull the brake lever something is actually going to happen. also great when someone pulls out in front of you. i've jumped on the brakes that hard the back wheel has lifted, so my front tyre is obviously doing an ok job. (cant remember if i had 25's or 28's on at the time)

i've always had hydraulic discs, so it's just nice to know i have the power if i need it.

Last edited:

wavike

Likes Dirt
Na it will be mainly commuting and fitness, would rather spend more to get a better road bike tan disc brakes. Although the hill just next to my house with over 500m vertical climbing over about 5km they would be good when coming back down. I have gone half way with my old heavy flat bar and its crappy rim brakes though. It scares my more than MTBing coming down that on the road.

I like the new Allez but can get a deal and free computer and stuff chucked in on the new defy 3. I see both have same standover (Allez 52cm) and (defy 50cm) of 777mm. Allez is slightly sportier with very slightly shorter top tube and wheelbase for the same standover.
Sounds like you live in Rocky near Mt Archer, don't think there's any other hills that big in CQ. Nothing to add sorry, but the thread's been very informative. Being around 173cm and will get a roadie at some stage, just the info I need with asking.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
disc brakes aren't needed, but i value mine on my disc cx that is predominately used as a commuter.

i can ride in the rain and know that when i pull the brake lever something is actually going to happen. also great when someone pulls out in front of you. i've jumped on the brakes that hard the back wheel has lifted, so my front tyre is obviously doing an ok job. (cant remember if i had 25's or 28's on at the time)

i've always had hydraulic discs, so it's just nice to know i have the power if i need it.
Or you could just ride to the conditions.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Or you could just ride to the conditions.
i do. the conditions vary less when i have disc brakes.

i've seen your posts across multiple forums about disc brakes on road bikes. if you dont like them, dont buy/ride them. it's a simple concept and nobody is forcing you to use them or even comment on them. stop acting like a pretentious fairy...

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Sounds like you live in Rocky near Mt Archer, don't think there's any other hills that big in CQ. Nothing to add sorry, but the thread's been very informative. Being around 173cm and will get a roadie at some stage, just the info I need with asking.
Yep live within about a km of the base.

Yer I have heard people talking about road bikes going to disc brakes for weight. They can build wheels a lot lighter as they don't need the braking area on the rim. For me on a commuter not needed I think although it would be nice lol.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Wow ok lots to look at. Never even ridden a road bike so don't know how its supposed to feel.QUOTE]

Comfortable, fast, smooth, responsive, and easy to control.

If you feel like your bike is out of control or not within your means to keep reigned in then the bike isn't right for you.

I tried a few roadies before I got mine and of the three or four I tried they all felt very different even though they all looked pretty much the same to look at.

One bike felt all twitchy and short and a bit scary. The other felt long and slow and like I was being stretched out too far and gave me a feeling of a real lack of confidence.
The last one I tried I felt at home on. Steering felt nice and under control, snappy when I pushed on the pedals and comfy.

A good fitting road bike should make you feel like you are riding on a magic carpet.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Cyclocross I'll accept disc brakes are worthwhile, but not on a standard roadie.
Agreed rim brakes are fine.
At first they feel different, but good braking isn't just attributed to raw power.
It's technique, modulation and feel.

Now I am used to my rim brakes I can stop as quickly as any mtb I have ever ridden with discs.
Not gonna start a debate or argument about this, but I will just say that when you have your feel for the modulation, you can stop on a dime.
The technique requires a little more panache to get the modulation dialled right in, but you just have to ride the bike and the more you ride it the better your braking will be.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I went discs so that all my wheels and discs are interchangeable. That is slowly changing now I'm going to thicker axels though I admit.

I've got some BB7 roads which I personally think have a better feel (albeit it took me forever to stop the squeeling!). Test rode some sram red hydros and that is the benchmark!

pistonbroke

Eats Squid

i've seen your posts across multiple forums about disc brakes on road bikes. if you dont like them, dont buy/ride them. it's a simple concept and nobody is forcing you to use them or even comment on them. stop acting like a pretentious fairy...
Ha ha. It's like the wheel size debate.
"Choose your wheel size and be a dick about it" :D

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

OR
If you dont want to discuss stuff, dont come to forums.
Stop thinking everyone has to agree with you and getting defensive when they dont.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
OR
If you dont want to discuss stuff, dont come to forums.
Stop thinking everyone has to agree with you and getting defensive when they dont.
i'm happy to discuss it. i'm also not concerned as to you not liking them, that's your opinion that you are welcome to have.

however i've brought up the reasons why i think disc brakes are a positive. i also stated disc brakes aren't a requirement, but i like them. your worthless submissions are purely that if it has disc brakes it must be a mountain bike, and that people should just ride to suit the conditions. disc brakes isn't the first, and wont be the last advancement in bike technology, i just plain dont understand why you are caught up on it.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'm happy to discuss it. i'm also not concerned as to you not liking them, that's your opinion that you are welcome to have.

however i've brought up the reasons why i think disc brakes are a positive. i also stated disc brakes aren't a requirement, but i like them. your worthless submissions are purely that if it has disc brakes it must be a mountain bike, and that people should just ride to suit the conditions. disc brakes isn't the first, and wont be the last advancement in bike technology, i just plain dont understand why you are caught up on it.
There you go again.
Now my submissions are worthless.

Lighten up.