(Air). Inline or DB?

moorey

call me Mia
Asking on behalf of a mate who may or may not be smart enough to type...

Loves his bronson, but is finding the stock Fox ctd just isn't giving him the love, as he pushes the bike harder. Had offered him my CCDB, but incompatible hardware forbids it.

Anyone compared the 2 on the same bike? He, like me, is a bit daunted by all the tuning options on the DB. Mine is just back from NDS today after a custom tune, which mightn't have suited the bronson anyway.

He will be on here later to ask more questions, but wanted to get the ball rolling for him.

Ta, Nigs'

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If you buy the Bronson from him, then ask...that would be OK.

In that scenario I would recommend the ccba. Inline seems a streamlined shock...DBA has bells and whistles galore.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Didn't Grip change from the Fox to a DB? Flick him a pm? I'd give it a go but the budget is more hole than paper and I dare not breathe anything about more parts. I even snuck the KS Southpaw remote into an order for two new helmets...

stickso

Likes Dirt
What more bells & whistles would you want on the Inline apart from the high/low speed comp & rebound damping plus climb switch? Rider weight might come into it too. The CCDB might be overkill for a lighter rider?

Edit: I have an Inline on my Sight and weigh 74kg without gear.

moorey

call me Mia
If I was buying, I'd stick with inline and have it tuned to bike. I really need little more than rebound on a shock set up right. My DB doesn't have climb, and I don't miss having it.
Arsehat mate would be around 70-75kg I reckon.

stickso

Likes Dirt
Cane Creek has some good resources regarding the tuning. eg https://www.canecreek.com/products/...santa-cruz-bronson-dbinline-revised-base-tune

Not to be taken as gospel as the damper settings depend on the pressure which depends on your weight. But it nicely explains how the 4 settings affect the performance/feel and is a starting point.

As for your mate arsehat, at his weight he'd probably see no difference between the Inline & Air except the Air weighs more. Just my opinion based on how the Inline is going for me including a weekend on Thredbo's flow trail.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Air vs inline? Pretty sure you need both for a decent ride.

Gripo went fox to inline, I don't think he ever had the DB.......

wozza

Likes Bikes
leaning toward inline

cheers for the feedback gents,not so keen on the new nickname tho(moorey).
im starting to lean more toward the inline given my weight & terrain i ride.
how is installation for the inline re: spacing/extra hardware/new kit required?
ive also heard there is a bronson specific db inline-is this the case?
once again thanx heaps for sharing your knwledge!!!

stickso

Likes Dirt
Hey arsehat :) The Inline uses the same mounting hardware as Fox. I removed the Fox on my Sight and bunged in the Inline.

Dunno about a specific shock for the bronson but with all the tuning and volume spacers available can't see much need to make a bike specific model.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Time for a name change and avatar...

moorey

call me Mia
Hey arsehat :) The Inline uses the same mounting hardware as Fox. I removed the Fox on my Sight and bunged in the Inline.

Dunno about a specific shock for the bronson but with all the tuning and volume spacers available can't see much need to make a bike specific model.
Inline without DU's will run with arsehats current hardware seems to be the consensus.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I removed a Fox CTD off my Enduro29 and fitted a CCDBCS, I love it although I'm still a little dubious about it's reliability. Had to send it to NDS for an internal seal failure.
While it was sent off I bolted my fox back on, this was the real test for me as I had gotten used to and had a chance to have my CCDB semi dialled in, reverting back to the fox, the fox was a piece of shit. It skipped about and didn't track anywhere near as good, it didn't feel as compliant on the small bumps and I couldn't get the rebound set to feel anywhere as nice as the CCDB. The disclaimer is though the Fox fitted to my Enduro is the base model factory tune CTD, I imagine the higher end models are better.

Not tried an Inline. (but I'm fat ;) )

moorey

call me Mia
Banged a fox in while mine was off at NDS. Had to run it way softer than I'd like, just to get the small bump compliance. It's just an rp23, but it's the best I've had.

On that, big shout out to Trialsbike in Bunninyong along with NDS. Shock got there and back, rebuilt and performance tuned, in 4 days, at a price I was more than happy with. :woot:

mjb123

Likes Bikes
i have run both

I have run both on my Bronson. Nearly 12 months on each - the RP23 that came with the bike along with a CCDB CS that I bought a little later on. Whilst everyone seems to rave on about the CCDB, I personally don't think the difference is that great. Its better, but not that much better.

I just received my RP23 back from Avalanche after it received their speed sensitive damper upgrade. Only a few rides on it at the moment and I am more than happy with the upgrade. My biggest complaint was the square edge performance of both shocks with the VPP suspension. Both shocks would just transfer these straight through the frame. After the mod I feel like my suspension is finally working as it should and as a side benefit it feels like the ramp up that I used to get from the RP23 has gone. Now I don't feel the shock ramping up at the end of its stroke.

I would recommend the Avalanche upgrade, with the old downside being the downtime waiting for the postal service to do its thing.

Anyone want to buy a CCDB?