Air or Coil? 2010 Giant Faith 0

Hi Guys,

Ive recently (last few months) made the move to downhill, kicked out the reign and picked up a 2010 Faith, the bike is in good knick however the rear shock is in desperate need of attention, im interested in getting a new shock however have know clue where to start. First off what size will fit the faith, it takes a 2.75 coil. And then should i go with coil or air. I rather like the BOS stoy and the ccdba. What are your opinions?

Any help would be great !
Thanks everybody

Wes

DJR

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

however the rear shock is in desperate need of attention,
what's on there and what's wrong with it? Have you considered just giving what's on there a full service or setting it up better (e.g. is it a coil shock with too strong/weak a spring?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Air is lighter. But has a floating feel that isn't progressive like a coil. Air can be tuned somewhat acurately for all riding conditions. A well tuned coil will be right for all ridibg conditions. Coils tend to be stronger in the long term.

I am selling a coil rear shock (unused) from a giant glory so that I can buy an air shock to trim down the grams a bit. If selling fails I'll out a titanium spring on to save weight. I like air shocks.

Its got a RS vivid 5.1 with a ti spring, when it compresses it travels around half way down its stroke length then hits a hard spot where it travels with (full dampening?) and the shoots back up really un progressively. I might swing past the lbs and get them to give me a more accurate description of whats happening

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Its got a RS vivid 5.1 with a ti spring, when it compresses it travels around half way down its stroke length then hits a hard spot where it travels with (full dampening?) and the shoots back up really un progressively. I might swing past the lbs and get them to give me a more accurate description of whats happening
Sounds like the valving is jammed up...I might entirely wrong, but if this way my bike and I liked the shock I would get the shock serviced. That would probably work out cheaper than replacing it. A reputable service centre should be able to take a look for a small fee and advise if it is worth fixing or not. Keeping in mind that second hand shocks arent that expensive.

Unless of course you just want to get a new shock. In which case it is time for shopping!

I think i'd rather spend a little more and buy a new shock as the vivid 5.1 is quite old and i personally thing the bike would be much nicer with a new shock. Any suggestions on what i should get as well as which shock would fit a 2010 Faith. according to some website it's a 420mm eye to eye, somehow this seems wrong

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
shameless plug time!

I think i'd rather spend a little more and buy a new shock as the vivid 5.1 is quite old and i personally thing the bike would be much nicer with a new shock. Any suggestions on what i should get as well as which shock would fit a 2010 Faith. according to some website it's a 420mm eye to eye, somehow this seems wrong
You and I could be such good friends...if you want a new shock, buy mine. $300 (neg) delivered for a brad new fox dhx rc2 unused. It is fresh off my current model giant glory and I believe it will bolt straight onto your frame. If you want some fox40s as well I will do you a deal! Can even include some steak knives....or a snow board.

If you want to talk shop throw me a pm.