airfreighting suspension and other sealed parts

tombre2

Likes Dirt
I've been trying to chase down a Manitou Evolver is Aus, but it turns out that due to Hayes acquisition of answer manitou there is no stock of this shock. So unfortunately i'm forced to shop online at CRC.

anyway my question is...when sealed parts like shocks are sent from the uk to aus, they have to go by plane. So won't a sealed part like a shock be damaged by the air pressure inside the shock expanding and possibly blowing a seal or something?

it's sounds crazy, but i don't want to spend $600 on a shock only to have to spend more when it arrives.

can anyone confirm whether this is a possibility, or are they freighted in a pressurized cargo hull.

cheers tom

and yes i have done several searchs, but to no avail.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Because it is inside the plane, the change in atmospheric pressure wont hurt......especially when compared force on it when applied at bottom out. Also how do you think they travel dogs around?

Viv92

Eats Squid
Is the cargo hold pressurized?

Couldn't you just get them to take all the air out of it. :eek:

tombre2

Likes Dirt
Not a problem.

http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=36684&highlight=air+shocks

If you read the last few pages of that thread you'll find a discussion about it.
cheers ivan, very helpful although somewhat confusing.

Also how do you think they travel dogs around?
i'd say dogs travel in a pressurised cabin like we do. but have you ever taken a packet of chips onto the plane? notice how the bag expands even when your in a pressurised cabin.
i just wanted to double check and do some research.

thanks guys
tom

Last edited:

Buck

Likes Bikes
Bag of chips expands because the cabin is only pressurised to an equivalent altitude of 8000ft or there abouts. Since the chip packet was filled at a lower alititude it therefore puffs up when taken to an alititude equivalent to 8000ft.

Cargo hold is pressurised too. If it wasn't the floor of the passenger area would have to be a whole lot stronger to hold the pressure difference between the top and bottom half of the plane! As you can see in the below link, air actually flows from the cabin into the cargo hold below.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/cabinair/index.html

Pets travel in the cargo hold. I've seen them go up the luggage ramp along with all the other baggage.

So basically shocks will be fine.

Last edited:

cobba

Likes Dirt
Please inform me of how a cardboard box has anything to do with pressure changes in an aircraft :confused:
You'd be surprised at the mysterious powers that a cardboard box has.:D

yer id does if you actuly read the post
I read the post and I still don't still don't see how a cardboard box will make any difference either.:confused:

Cardboard is porous.
Cardboard boxes aren't airtight.

Last edited:

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
guys, if their is no air in the shock before flight, then there will be no problem with pressure differential in flight.
its the same when flying with your bike. you should depressurise everything on your bike that holds air. that means tyres,forks,shocks.
any reputable shop(crc etc)will tell you this.
:)