Aldi's bike degreaser... anyone tried it?

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As per title... Anyone used Aldi's bicycle degreaser?

The wife bought me a bottle a couple of weeks ago.. this morning I thought it was about time I washed off Stromlo & Kowen dust off the bike and this was the result....

I left it on for less than 5 minutes.

Has anyone else experienced this?

(sorry about the mega large photos...)

Attachments

ChopSticks

Banned
hard to see.... but am I looking at horrible stained run marks?

lucky I only use, piping hot water and dish washing detergent :)

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Can't tell from the pics, but did it turn everything pink? It's shit, don't use it on the bike, I am only using the one the missus got for chains, works ok for that if you let it soak.

Minlak

custom titis
If you sprayed this anywhere near your brakes make sure they still stop you before your first run..... Not good stuff.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
The degreaser or the bike wash?
The degreaser is just for the drivetrain.
I used their bike wash and wouldn't go out of my way to get it again. No great problem but I don't think it cleaned as well as my usual muc-off or regular car wash.

stirk

Burner
Looks clean!

When you say 'has anyone else experienced this?', is there a problem you are trying to point out in the pictures? I can't tell.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hard to see.... but am I looking at horrible stained run marks?

lucky I only use, piping hot water and dish washing detergent :)
Yes chops, the brown/pink/faded run marks and dots on the frame...

I think I need a hug :(

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks clean!

When you say 'has anyone else experienced this?', is there a problem you are trying to point out in the pictures? I can't tell.
Have a better look... yes it's hard to see, but it can be seen..

I'll see if I can take a better photo of it

ChopSticks

Banned
yeppp I can see the dots on the TT, and run marks on the downtube. Just wanted to confirm, as lighting in the pictures make it hard

is it a permanent stain? ie eaten into your clear coat? or just 'water marks'? if the bike wash did that (assuming you followed instructions, ie degreaser for drivetrain, and bike wash for frame) and your frame is actually damaged because of that, then take it up to Aldi. Facebook post should get you the quickest relpy :)

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt

The frame actually feels like it's lost it's smoothness also.. Hard to describe..

Yes I have tried to polish it out, no such luck.

Chops I might have to do that I think!

ChopSticks

Banned
The frame actually feels like it's lost it's smoothness also.. Hard to describe..

i think i know what you mean.... similar to cleaning stains on your frame with Iso? leaves a rough/matte finish?

out of curiosity... how long did you leave the degreaser on there for? before washing it off?

don't tell the nazis on here... they'll crucify you for doing that :behindsofa:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.

So... it kind of feels like the clear coat is a little rough then?

You didn't make the mistake of rubbing or wiping the grit of frame back and forth? I wouldn't think that will be it by the pics.

I've used some stuff from super cheap auto to cut and polish a clear coat to excellent effect, used it very gently worked well.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I put the bike on the aldi stand in the shade, sprayed it on, a good coat, left it for perhaps 4 minutes at the most, again in the shade... then hosed it straight off..
After that I grabbed a cotton cloth and without any other products I washed it down with plain water..
Have always done this.
Prior to buying the aldi wash I used finish line bike wash..

Guess what I'm going back to............

ChopSticks

Banned
you should always hose the bike down first.... get rid of the bulk of dirt/grit before applying anything.

my 2c

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Interesting. I've been using it but haven't noticed that. But I have just been using it around the drive chain area. I got it to put in my chain cleaning plastic doohickie mainly. Should be alright for that yes?

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting. I've been using it but haven't noticed that. But I have just been using it around the drive chain area. I got it to put in my chain cleaning plastic doohickie mainly. Should be alright for that yes?
My bottle won't be going anywhere near my bike at all!