All Mountain Tyres

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Talc in tubes?

i run it in my mx bikes. it helps stop friction between the tube and the inside of the tyre. My tubes last years, flats never. the little rubber balls inside the tyre.. dont happen. i always do it. its never turned to glue even when i power wash the bikes.

Myth Busters - Dont trust Ranga's.
I've had to peel tubes out of tyres with force after putting talc in there, hasn't worked out for me.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
the slaughter is def a summer only tyre it has zero traction on wet rocks. specialized make some amazing tyres light and super long lasting wouldn't mide trying some maxxis for something different though never used them
Yep Maxxis are great also. Couldnt decide between the Ground Control or Purgatory for the rear. Went the Purgatory. Wouldnt be to late to change my order if poeple experience is the ground control is ok on the back and not to unpredictable on loose dry type terrain.

MelbRod

Likes Dirt
Yep Maxxis are great also. Couldnt decide between the Ground Control or Purgatory for the rear. Went the Purgatory. Wouldnt be to late to change my order if poeple experience is the ground control is ok on the back and not to unpredictable on loose dry type terrain.
Can I ask where you're ordering from. I just bought a couple of Ardent Races from Pushys, but I couldn't find Specialized online. A couple of theres looked good.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Can I ask where you're ordering from. I just bought a couple of Ardent Races from Pushys, but I couldn't find Specialized online. A couple of theres looked good.
Yer local bike shop mate. I am tending to shop more and more with a few good ones locally. Even our Maxxis here are $60-70 so not much more than online.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Haven't had a chance to try a ground control yet, but I can tell you that I prefer the 2.2" captain on the back of my enduro to the purgatory. Its faster and the grip seems to be just as good if not better. The only place the purg is better is straight line braking grip on very loose very steep sections.

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
Got my new Maxxis Griffin fitted up front.. haven't ridden it yet though. Shifted the old Nobby Nic from front to rear, and after sitting there for a week without any problems apparently yesterday it cracked teh shits and blew - There's a big ugly deformed chunk of bead that doesn't look likely to seal ever again, so I'm going to turf that.

Need to pick up a new rear tonight to ride this weekend.. Tell me what to spend my money on! 27.5" rear tyre recommendation for a fat bastard that's never going to win any races, GO!

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Got the Butcher Control and Purg Grid. Dropped 400g off the bike. Seem decent sidewalls still, and in my opinion just tight enough to get onto the rim. Pumped up tubeless first go no worries with floor pump. Stayed up a while but I think I have some leaking at my valves so just have to put some sealant in. Should roll quicker also I think than the old overkill combo of HD front and HR2 rear.

DJR

Likes Dirt
Got my new Maxxis Griffin fitted up front.. haven't ridden it yet though. Shifted the old Nobby Nic from front to rear, and after sitting there for a week without any problems apparently yesterday it cracked teh shits and blew - There's a big ugly deformed chunk of bead that doesn't look likely to seal ever again, so I'm going to turf that.

Need to pick up a new rear tonight to ride this weekend.. Tell me what to spend my money on! 27.5" rear tyre recommendation for a fat bastard that's never going to win any races, GO!
High roller ii 3c exo or minion dhr ii 3c ezo, both 2.3 wide, take your pick. Of you want something a little less aggressive go for an ardent 2.4 exo tr.

All good rear tyres. The ardent is a little less grippy esp under braking bit rolls fast and has a big carcass which is great if you ride sandy trails with lowish pressure

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I just threw a fresh Butcher on the front of my enduro with the new Slaughter out back (both control casing, both setup tubeless).

Coming off a Captain, the Slaughter rolls faster in a straight line and has better grip in corners, almost too much (I like the rear to break loose a long time before the front). Climbing traction in loose gravel etc seems the same as my worn out Captain (so not that great), but a smart/skilful climber could easily make it work. Haven't taken it down anything super gnar yet but straight-line braking will probably be fairly poor (but so was the Captain). The control casing on the butcher/slaughter feels heavier and more substantial than the control Captain and other XC spesh tyres. Overall I really like it as an AM rear, way better than the old Purg.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
3 ride old Nobby Nic got torn on a rock in a creek crossing today..:tape2: It tore right at the base of the outer lugs.

Will remove tyre from rim tomorrow and inspect as to how much damage has been done. The Stans couldnt seal it to ride out.

Might try to stitch it back together, and glue it and patch it. It was almost brand new, hence the effort to save it!

marc.r

Likes Dirt
^^^^ is that the new 2015 nic or the old version? i know the old version was super easy to rip off the lugs but the new one looks more hardy.

GRPABT1

Likes Dirt

With a Griffin up front you don't want something too agressive on the rear (my preference anyway). An ardent 2.4 is a really big volume for more cushioning and a sweet tread for the rear, problem is at 95kg I kept blowing out maxxis exo tyres in the sidewall on drops and rocks where I ride. Now I'm on Schwalbe super gravity tyres with dual ply side walls and single ply tread area and haven't had a drama. The Hans Dampf I run on the rear may be a little aggressive to match with the Griffin on front though. Not sure if Nobby Nic comes in Super Gravity or Ardent comes in Downhill casing but either of those would be sweet.

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
Ended up with an ardent race on the rear simply because I wanted to ride Saturday AM and the LBS next to my office only had these on the shelf on the Friday arvo :p seems ok so far *shrugs*

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ended up with an ardent race on the rear simply because I wanted to ride Saturday AM and the LBS next to my office only had these on the shelf on the Friday arvo :p seems ok so far *shrugs*
don't hold your breath those things seem to have a short life if you ride with a bit of gusto

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
don't hold your breath those things seem to have a short life if you ride with a bit of gusto
Yep I blew one on the rear but think my psi was down abit. Loving the Specialized tyre combo and great value. Roll well, setup tubeless easy as, go on and off easy enough, grip well and dropped about 400g of rolling weight! Can't beat that. Running Butcher control front 27.5x2.3 (weighed in at 780g or so from memory) and Purgatory Grid rear same size and same weight. Even though the control is the light version it is not to bad in the sidewalls. The grid rear is nice and strong.

teK--

Eats Squid
Running Magic Mary TrailStar on front.

It grips like hell but the side knobs are all starting to tear when the centre knobs still have heaps of tread left and are in good nick. Bit disappointed that I will have to replace this tyre prematurely soon, as it is squirming when you lean it over hard due to the tears.

The Rock Razor pacestar on the back on the other hand is wearing really well and the first one I had suffered over 15 punctures sealed with tubeless before I replaced it.

When I replace the Magic Mary looking to change to Maxxis Minion DHF and High Roller 2 but they seem hard to get hold of the correct types in the same place as there are so many variations that often go out of stock.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Running Magic Mary TrailStar on front.

It grips like hell but the side knobs are all starting to tear when the centre knobs still have heaps of tread left and are in good nick. Bit disappointed that I will have to replace this tyre prematurely soon, as it is squirming when you lean it over hard due to the tears.
Jebus, not looking forward to seeing how my Vertstar SG MM goes when it hits dirt!
I see a lot of people talking about tearing knobs on Schwalbes, though I've never had it happen myself yet.

They should probably look into fixing that!

teK--

Eats Squid
Jebus, not looking forward to seeing how my Vertstar SG MM goes when it hits dirt!
I see a lot of people talking about tearing knobs on Schwalbes, though I've never had it happen myself yet.

They should probably look into fixing that!
I think it has something to do with the triple compound since the outermost layer is so soft, but hey, Maxxis seem to be able to do it right with the 3C compound?

In saying that, once they have been slightly worn in from new they are awesome tyres for a good few hundred kays.

I just hate having to change out tyres that are barely 50% worn.