All Mountain Tyres

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Schwalbe - always get snakeskin
- Hans dampf is a great front option, I'd pair a 2.4 HD to a 2.25 nn rear
- pacestar compound lasts well, trail star will wear quickly - only really an option for the front wheel - always use pacestar for the rear

Racing Ralph's are the cross mark equivalent- xc tyres not really AM for mine

floody

Wheel size expert
Aggressive 29er tyres, what's the go?

Tyres I've got along with in the past on 26" wheels were mostly Minions, High Rollers, Nevegals. I know there is a 29x2.35 Nevegal, any other ideas for a full-knob front tyre with decent side knobs that comes in a folding 29" casing?

ClintC

Likes Dirt
Aggressive 29er tyres, what's the go?

Tyres I've got along with in the past on 26" wheels were mostly Minions, High Rollers, Nevegals. I know there is a 29x2.35 Nevegal, any other ideas for a full-knob front tyre with decent side knobs that comes in a folding 29" casing?
Schwalbe Hans Dampf?

floody

Wheel size expert
If they're as forgettable as the Big Bettys that came on my Voltage I'm not too keen...But they look promising!

Maltese Falcon

Likes Dirt
Schwalbe - always get snakeskin
- Hans dampf is a great front option, I'd pair a 2.4 HD to a 2.25 nn rear
- pacestar compound lasts well, trail star will wear quickly - only really an option for the front wheel - always use pacestar for the rear

Racing Ralph's are the cross mark equivalent- xc tyres not really AM for mine
This is exactly what I run, I can highly reccomend the hans dampf, but I still go back to a Kenda small block 8 on the rear on smooth fast trails rather than the Nobby nic

datnat

Likes Dirt
Ran Hans Dampf over winter, $$$ but very happy with them. Back to a Bontrager XR4 front and crossmark LUST on the rear which seems to working nicely, bit faster rolling than the dampfs. Might try dampf front and nobby nic rear next winter...

Dparo

Squid
I've been running fat alberts this year with all the rain including trip to Rotovegas and very happy (def need snake skin). Looking to switch to Nobbly Nic now its drying out. Also have a Michelin RockR to try, looks the goods for front. If your interested in Schwalbe might want to try German websites like Bike24 cost is pretty good (under $40) with Oz exchange but need postage of course, not as steep as US couriers.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
I've been running fat alberts this year with all the rain including trip to Rotovegas and very happy (def need snake skin). Looking to switch to Nobbly Nic now its drying out. Also have a Michelin RockR to try, looks the goods for front. If your interested in Schwalbe might want to try German websites like Bike24 cost is pretty good (under $40) with Oz exchange but need postage of course, not as steep as US couriers.
I've still got my Fat Alberts on the bike but think it's time for a change for summer. I just checked out Bike24 and you're right - definitely worth the effort compared to how much websites/stores here in Australia want for Schwalbe tyres.....

That said.... can't decide on whether to got Hans Dampf on the front with a Nobby on the rear in 2.25. I want to run tubeless and prefer for my tyres to last as long as possible so definitely not into the "race" compounds. Or if i should be trying another combination all together. Tyre choice albeit somewhat personal is a nightmare these days with all the options.

I ride what i call AM - mostly like to shuttle but know realistically i'm riding up to enjoy my down. Most of my days are down at the Youies on Trav's or Cressy occasionally giving the DH trails a run or two....

Any Victorians here just swapped to summer AM/FR tyres and have some thoughts?

crim 87

Likes Dirt
just bought a new rocket ron evo for the rear cant decide what to put on the front ?? either going go with a nobby nic or rocket ron not sure if 2.4 is to big ?? i ride at lysterfield , you yangs and a few others places aswell as some climbs up the basin so im after some good roll to

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have read through countless threads and reviews on both this forum and websites such a MTBR, Sicklines and the likes and I have been struggling to decide on a tyre for my new AM Build. I was originally set on a 2.4 Conti Rubber Queen for the Front, and a 2.2. Conti Mountain King for the rear. After actually thinking about my purchase before handing over the money, I feel a 2.4 Rubber Queen is just far too large to have on my Mavic 819 Tubeless Rims. I am not a heavy guy by any means, but I think there might be a reasonable chance I might 'burp' the tyre off the rim a little too much with it being so large.

I have looked at Continental Tyres, Schwalbe, Maxxis and Specialized and no matter what tyre I pick, when I read through reviews and what not I seem to find more negatives than pro's in regards to the UST specific tyre. A lot of people complain about grip, and that is something I am especially wanting in the front. I was hoping you guys could lead me in a direction where I might end up with a really good tyre combo.

Riding is predominantly hardpack, dusty trails, typical Brisbane trails. Realistically can't go larger than a 2.35" according to Mavic.

Also as far as using a sealant goes, I was originally hoping to not have to use any sealant provided I could find a decent dedicated UST Tyre. That is seeming less likely, so with tyres such as the Schwalbe that say they are Tubeless Ready, is it mandatory to have sealant or can you get away with it? (Was looking at the 2.25" Fat Alberts")

Rabble bukes

Likes Dirt
I run nobby nic tubeless on the front, and a tubeless racing ralph on the back, with no sealant. Running on mavic crossmax st rims. Ride around brisbane, i find it works well. Was running nobby nic rear also, but found it a bit too much, raing ralph just rolls a slight bit better. Only problem with no sealant is if you puncture the tyre, i havent yet knock on wood

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
i run a set of 2.35 high rollers in the maxxpro version so they arent as heavy as my old dual ply wired DH tires, but they still turn at decent speeds without a problem

ChopSticks

Banned
Finally hit the hammer and got a 2.35 hans dampf (trailstar) for the front and 2.1 racing ralphs (pacestar) for the rear...both running tubeless with stans tape/sealant/valves on a ZTR Flow rim !
despite both being 'tubeless ready' versions...neither one inflated with a floor pump (very disappointed at this!) i even went to the trouble of flipping the tyre inside out for 1.5 days before installation !

I havent ridden long enough, nor experimented with enough tyres to give a reliable opinion...BUT FUCK I love this combo !!!!!!!!!!
better than the crossmark/SB8 & ignitor (R&F) I had previously !

sooooooo much grip!!! (trailstar compound?) the combo just inspires confidence when turning !

keen to see how the Trail/PaceStar wears over time and maybe try out Conti tyres......Rubber Queens/Kings with chilli compounds?

mint355

Likes Dirt
Finally hit the hammer and got a 2.35 hans dampf (trailstar) for the front and 2.1 racing ralphs (pacestar) for the rear...both running tubeless with stans tape/sealant/valves on a ZTR Flow rim !
despite both being 'tubeless ready' versions...neither one inflated with a floor pump (very disappointed at this!) i even went to the trouble of flipping the tyre inside out for 1.5 days before installation !

I havent ridden long enough, nor experimented with enough tyres to give a reliable opinion...BUT FUCK I love this combo !!!!!!!!!!
better than the crossmark/SB8 & ignitor (R&F) I had previously !

sooooooo much grip!!! (trailstar compound?) the combo just inspires confidence when turning !

keen to see how the Trail/PaceStar wears over time and maybe try out Conti tyres......Rubber Queens/Kings with chilli compounds?

Dont bother with the continentals mate. i had the mountain kings in 2.4 and 2.2 f/r in chilli comp. They dont work like the schwalbe tyres do...

Jbsp1

Likes Dirt
I had been running the NN & RR combo but found that they wore too quick. I am now trying Specialized Purgatory 2.4 (f) and Eskar2 2.3 (r). Have only been out for one ride at this stage but felt good. Running tubeless on Flow rims and had no issues at all with using a floor pump to inflate and seat. Unlike the Schwalbes that I had trouble ++ with not to mention sidewall issues. :mad-new:

Will be interesting to see how they go!

B-Proof

Likes Dirt
Also as far as using a sealant goes, I was originally hoping to not have to use any sealant provided I could find a decent dedicated UST Tyre. That is seeming less likely, so with tyres such as the Schwalbe that say they are Tubeless Ready, is it mandatory to have sealant or can you get away with it? (Was looking at the 2.25" Fat Alberts")
I ran UST Maxxis minions on my DH bike with UST wheels, without sealant with no problems at all. Thou, if you hit a rock or anything that'll pierce your tyre, you'll get a flat... With sealant, you won't get a flat.

ChopSticks

Banned
I run Hans Dampf front and back. Soft compound front and hard compound on the rear and im also very very happy with them!
how do you find the HD on the rear? pacestar? 2.35? should grip like a Hobo to money?

a friend went riding on my bike and i didnt bump up the pressure in the racing ralph in the rear..when down a rocky hill....and long story short...killed my tyre. Fuck these schwables side walls are paper thin !!!!!
thinking of either getting another RR with double defense/snakeskin IN PACESTAR COMPOUND, 2.10 or 2.15 and is tubeless ready..... (does such an tyre exist?) or might just get another HD

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
if full sik front wheel drift is what your after, conti MK 2's...really have'nt found any terrain that they work well in..even scarier in the wet!
2.35 is about the size i feel most comfy on, maybe maxxis are really the only good choice when cost/durability is a factor.
conties are overpriced
schwalbe's are too soft
speccys are pricy too'
rebuena???
kenda?