All Mountain Tyres

stickso

Likes Dirt
Just took my Anthem out for the first time in 6 weeks and ran 24psi in the front Ikon (tubeless) and it was better than I remembered... you've got me thinking about trying these on my Reign now.

simonhaha

Likes Dirt
my current setup is:

Front: 2.5 Minon (can run over anything)
Rear: 2.1 Crossmark (good rolling tyres)

Able to bomb it downhills. Currently on a Polygon Colossus. Thinking of buying 2.35 holy rollers up front to lighten up the front end. Should i upgrade the rear to a thicker tyre, havent had any trouble with them so far..

brindog

Likes Dirt
Maxxis vs Schwalbe Sizes???

O.k this had probably been asked before, but Im not reading through 70 odd pages to found out if it has or hasn't

The question is are Maxxis and Schwalbe the same sizes?
Are 2.35 Maxxis the same as 2.35 Schwables?

Im running Maxxis ardent 2.35 and a Monorail 2.25 and they are dead, Great combo but I like trying new stuff. I want to try out Schwalbe Hans Damf 2.35 and Rock Razer 2.35

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
O.k this had probably been asked before, but Im not reading through 70 odd pages to found out if it has or hasn't

The question is are Maxxis and Schwalbe the same sizes?
Are 2.35 Maxxis the same as 2.35 Schwables?

Im running Maxxis ardent 2.35 and a Monorail 2.25 and they are dead, Great combo but I like trying new stuff. I want to try out Schwalbe Hans Damf 2.35 and Rock Razer 2.35
2.35 schwalbes are atleast as big as 2.5 maxxis

schwalbes generally run big and maxxis small

brindog

Likes Dirt
Cool thanks Nerdbox.
oh and Im running a 2.35 larsen tt not a monorail. haha!

2.35 Ardent front and 2.35 larsen tt rear, a fast combo. The larsen tt does take a bit to get used to though especially if your on the brakes and turning, kicks out a bit sometimes on hard pack haha!!
So guessing a Schwalbe Hans Dampf and Rock Razor would be Schwalbe's equivalent to my current Maxxis combo :fencing:

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure if they are really the equivalent of each other with the sizes you've quoted..

The HansDampf & RockRazor run big for size, the RockRazor does have similar small knobs in the centre but thats the only thing in common with the Larson which is purely a XC tyre, while the RocRazor has much larger decent side knobs. So the Schwalbe combo would be much more aggressive than your current setup. Slower rolling but better grip and bag.

The equivalent of the Maxxis tyres would more be the Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph.

The Ardent you'll also find is quit aggressive in the 2.4 version, fine for a front tyre but the 2.25 is a bit different and much smaller knobs/faster rolling so more suited as a rear tyre.

Sounds like you have been running the more XC version of the Maxxis tyres. So if your looking for something a bit more aggressive maybe try a Ardent 2.4 up front and a Ardent 2.25 on the rear or the Schwalbe combo you mentioned. These are more a equivalent of each other.

Last edited:

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
Weeeeeee... I managed to get my HD / NN combo off (farking hard on Carbon UST Havens....)

Minion DHR II's on - seated with a floor pump without even needing to use a tube for one side. So gooood.

New TR versions in 2.3" size are very slightly smaller than 2.35" HD's so they're pretty true to size

Last edited:

stickso

Likes Dirt
...So if your looking for something a bit more aggressive maybe try a Ardent 2.4 up front and a Ardent 2.25 on the rear ...
This rocks. I'd been running Ardent 2.25 F & R and changed the front to 2.4 on the weekend - new favourite front tyre. It's not huge compared to the 2.25 but the tread is a lot more aggressive with much larger side knobs and deeper center knobs.

stickso

Likes Dirt
Don't those tyres 'need' to be run with the matching wheels?
Ie would there be substantially different reviews with the different rims used?
Mavic would love you to think so. The price is the killer for the Mavic tyres at close to $100 each.

stickso

Likes Dirt
That's more reasonable. From one of the big overseas stores? I'll have to look harder but I generally just buy from Aussie online retailers.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Have done a couple of changes recently, running a hans dampf pacestar on the front then running a 2.25 rocket Ron . Interestingly when I first put the HD on, I didn't think it was some amazing amount of grip, but things have changed.

In an xc race, the HD was the tyre used on the quickest lap ( first lap), swapping over didn't give me any advantage - hard pack kiwarrak

Running the Ron on hardpack at glenrock is grippy and feels good. Running the Ron on sandy stuff however is rubbish. So I think the HD has an advantage on sandy dusty conditions, and worth it's weight, but not on slick surface .

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Huge thumbs up to my 2.35 Maxxis DHF Exo 3C TR tyres on a recent trip to Whistler. Climbed better than expected, and during descents basically felt like a downhill tyre. Running tubeless, and didn't get a single burp, cut or flat during the entire trip. The tread held up very well to extended abuse, whilst Schwalbes on friend's bikes were tearing knobs left right and centre.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Reading through this thread occasionally, I understand some of you are now running Rock Razors on the rear...

I am actually looking at the Super Gravity version for my DH bike (gonna be using a Magic Mary SG Vertstar on the front), and I'm curious how the Razor holds up in damp or tacky conditions - being a dry/dusty hardpack tyre.

Worth a shot? Or should I just grab a second Magic Mary for a more 'all-round' performer?

Being that my bike should be finished come summer time, I'm considering a RoRa for the rear anyway and moving to a Mary through winter... but I'm undecided, having never ridden either tyre.

ChopSticks

Banned
any RB'er managed to get their hands on the the new updated Nobby Nic yet?

the new wide rims are too wide for the 2.25 Racing Ralph (sidewalls are wider than the side knobs lol).... need something with that will grip when bike gets leaned over!

I'd get a Rock Razor... but it seems abit too burly for the trails/way I ride....?