All Mountain Tyres

Haylex

Likes Dirt
Grab a rock razor if using it as a rear tyre, I much prefer it to other tyres i have run as rears (ikon, ardent, racing ralph)

The ralph was a better climbing tyre, but the razor grips harder when the bike is turned over. I also expect the razor to last longer as well.

ChopSticks

Banned
Grab a rock razor if using it as a rear tyre, I much prefer it to other tyres i have run as rears (ikon, ardent, racing ralph)

The ralph was a better climbing tyre, but the razor grips harder when the bike is turned over. I also expect the razor to last longer as well.
just had my first ride on a nobby nic today....

wow, so much more grip than the ralph on the rear!
think I'll suck up the extra 30g over the ralph and stick with the nic.
Razor might be abit too heavy for my liking... (80g ontop)
have mates who ride with the razor and I know one has already started to fall apart..... will settle for the old nic... and grab another one, when it gets released next year!

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I don't mind the nobby nic for general trail riding, but when pushed hard it gets dangerous, it breaks away without warning and doesn't hook in particularly well. Found that out at >60km/h on the delitite track.

Curious to see the new nobby nic as you are when it's released.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Anyone here tried a specialized ground control as a fastish rear tyre for a burly AM bike?

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I don't mind the nobby nic for general trail riding, but when pushed hard it gets dangerous, it breaks away without warning and doesn't hook in particularly well. Found that out at >60km/h on the delitite track.

Mmm, I'm trying to ride-out my current Nic until the new one drops... but I may run out of tread before then.
Thankfully summer is coming, so I still have my eye on that Rock Razor if I need to change tyres in between.

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
Mmm, I'm trying to ride-out my current Nic until the new one drops... but I may run out of tread before then.
Thankfully summer is coming, so I still have my eye on that Rock Razor if I need to change tyres in between.
Try the Rock Razor anyway. I was astonished by how good it is... Well, braking is shite, but rolling is cracking and cornering is way better than a Nobby Nic or even a Hans Dampf. After a couple of rides with my front HD regularly losing grip before the rear Rock Razor, I started experimenting with other front tires. Currently settled on a Specialized Butcher which seems good. The HD will not be going back on.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Try the Rock Razor anyway. I was astonished by how good it is... Well, braking is shite, but rolling is cracking and cornering is way better than a Nobby Nic or even a Hans Dampf. After a couple of rides with my front HD regularly losing grip before the rear Rock Razor, I started experimenting with other front tires. Currently settled on a Specialized Butcher which seems good. The HD will not be going back on.
Yeah, I find it hard to have confidence in my Dampf up front when it comes to loose over hard, it slips just like any other tyre I've tried when leaned over on flat ground. :/
Shame because everything I read about it before putting it on praised it.
It felt great compared to the Nic up front, but still lacking.

I'd consider going bigger/better/beefier but I'm only on a Trance, so it's not that big a deal I guess.

Look forward to trying the Magic Mary on my DH build though... just gotta wait until late December for that.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I quite like the current nic, but I don't see a lot of the wet either.

I only got a little time on the new version, and on an unfamiliar bike and trail, but it seemed like it might be a little more predictable on the transition to the outer blocks.

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I find it hard to have confidence in my Dampf up front when it comes to loose over hard, it slips just like any other tyre I've tried when leaned over on flat ground. :/
Shame because everything I read about it before putting it on praised it.
It felt great compared to the Nic up front, but still lacking.

I'd consider going bigger/better/beefier but I'm only on a Trance, so it's not that big a deal I guess.

Look forward to trying the Magic Mary on my DH build though... just gotta wait until late December for that.
It's probably a matter of taste. If you like to corner hard, lean your bike over and don't mind a bit more vagueness when upright, I reckon try something other than a HD. I swapped mine for a Purgatory I had spare for the rear. The HD felt better generally but when it came to maximum cornering grip, the Purg was clearly better. The Butcher is narrower than an HD, a shade lighter, rolls about the same but grips better. I'd also like to try the Maxxis DHR2 2.3. Both of those options are no bigger or beefier than an HD (probably a touch thinner, similar weight and cheaper...). I've become confused as to why HD's are so popular. Maybe I'm missing something.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The HD is working ok for me on the back with a Magic Mary on the front. Now that we are coming into dryer weather though I may look at something that rolls better. Are the Razors avail in 29 yet, Schwalbe shows them on their site.

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't mind the nobby nic for general trail riding, but when pushed hard it gets dangerous, it breaks away without warning and doesn't hook in particularly well.
I don't really get worked up over tyres but the old NN is crap for sure. There's absolutely no warning when you get near the limit with it leaned over in a turn. I hit the deck a few times and went down so fast I still had both hands and both feet on the pedals (on flat pedals no less). An awful front tyre if you like to tip the bike over to corner.

I tried a Hans Dampf front (better) and now trying a Magic Mary front which I'm quite liking. The HD on the back is starting to tear the cornering knobs and generally look a bit second hand so durability isn't looking good at this stage. The trails are very dry, loose and rocky at the moment though.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Not completely sure but aren't Minions pretty heavy?

I'm going either 3C or Super Tacky HR2 on the front and Ardent on the back next purchase.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Not completely sure but aren't Minions pretty heavy?

I'm going either 3C or Super Tacky HR2 on the front and Ardent on the back next purchase.
I've just ordered a standard compound HR2 Exo to try on the front, the current Ardent will go on the back, replacing an Ikon that's close to worn out. From reports, should be a step up all round.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Minions are my all time favourite front tyre for grip, but I swear the specialized butcher control that I have on the front now is 90-95% as grippy but a bit lighter and faster too.