All Mountain Wheelsets

Rooster

Likes Bikes
Hey guys i dont mean to hijack but i didnt wanna start a new thread, can i have some opinions or experiences about this wheelset? I want what we all do, a strong, light and affordable wheel haha

Nukeproof Generator Race front wheelset 15mm QR.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

The_NUT

Squid
Hey mate, I just bought a set of the sun ringle charger pro's from CRC myself. I did alot of reading around for rims to suit the Giant Reign and I couldn't go past the charger pro's when you consider price, weight, reviews and included gear! There are alot of great rims out there, but when you consider you need to add $120 to most other sets for rim tape and goo then the sun ringles are definite winners.

Can't wait to see how they perform!

I own a Reign 2 2011 & have around 12 rides on the my new Sun Ringle charger pro wheels so far & they are really nice i love how lively they have made my Reign. They roll really well ( I am riding in 2 to 3 gears harder than before i had wheelset ) they are very stiff offering great steering and tracking. The spokes have not loosened from what i can tell The wheel set weighs around 400 grams lighter than the standard wheelset 1.7kg & really make a big difference with cornering & speed.I am light though 160 lb geared up. The best part if you ever change your fork or bike they came with all the below. I ride a lot of rocky rough terrain& enjoy my drops so they have taken everything i have thrown at them so far :D

Everything came in the box, Rims are taped with Stan's Yellow tape, Stan's valve stems, 2 bottles of 2oz Stan's sealant. 3 sets of front wheel adapters for 9mm QR, and 15mm and 20mm through axles

thylaxene

Likes Bikes
Hey guys i dont mean to hijack but i didnt wanna start a new thread, can i have some opinions or experiences about this wheelset? I want what we all do, a strong, light and affordable wheel haha

Nukeproof Generator Race front wheelset 15mm QR.
I got a set of Nukeproofs wheels (15mm QR F & 12mm through R) built from CRC and they seem nice and light and well made. Haven't ridden them yet but they are a lot lighter then my DH wheels! ;)

The yellow hubs are sweet and I like that CRC stocks all the spare parts at good prices so you can convert the hubs. For example I need to convert the rear to 12x142mm no probs just but the syntace kit for 17 bucks!

So unless they blow up on the first ride I can't see that I've made a mistake and I will be happy with them.

Cheers.

Andrei

Likes Dirt
I ended up getting a set of Sun Ringle Charger Pros for the Corsair. They came with notubes yellow tape installed also all the caps to convert the front hub to 9,15 & 20mm (had to buy the rear caps for 12mm separately) came with tubless valves and 2 lots of notubes fluid too. The rims are nice and wide, they look very similar to the notubes flow and sealed up real easy with a floor pump. They feel nice and stiff look spiffy to boot. Haven't had too many rides on them yet so will see how they hold up. Weight is claimed at 1690gs.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can anyone recommend a set of UST wheels with a 20mm front hub and 142mm x 12mm rear hub that weighs around the 1600gm mark?

Ivan

Eats Squid
I'm thinking about the Havens but reports of soft rims and crap rear hubs is putting me off.
Do the rims definitely need to be UST? Or can they be BST like No-Tubes.That will be a hard combo to find at that weight.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do the rims definitely need to be UST? Or can they be BST like No-Tubes.That will be a hard combo to find at that weight.
Yeah, definitely UST.:) I might have to wait for the new Crossmax ST wheelset or build something up with 819s.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, maybe the ST's will come in 20mm. I think you'll struggle to build an 819 wheel sub 1700g.
I might have a look at some build options with 819s as well, but my initial check seems to match with your thought that a sub 1700gm wheelset based on these rims is going to be hard to achieve.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I might have a look at some build options with 819s as well, but my initial check seems to match with your thought that a sub 1700gm wheelset based on these rims is going to be hard to achieve.
Don't forget to add the weight of the eyelets for an 819 build.

tjg21

Likes Bikes
Has anyone had a few months riding on any carbon wheelset, I am heading to France to ride a few AM events and want a stiff bomb proof wheelset. I am looking at either the DTSWISS EXC 155o or Enve Carbon wheels.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I recommend Tune or Atom Lab front hubs(pretty sure they're both the lightest, lighter than Hope). The rear Atom lab Hub is great with lots of clicks. I'm also keen to check out Profiles new rear hubs.
For rims, Stans Flows for sure on front. If you're heavy or a brute then Atom Lab Pimp light rear maybe or a Mavic, but not Mavic for tubeless unless 823 IMO, but not light.

pinkgoat

Likes Dirt
New profile hubs are nice but super expensive.. Plus their QC in the past hasn't been the greatest.

Anyone had any experience with the superstar or similar 120pt hubs? 300g/120pt engagements for the same price as a Hope certainly grabbed my eye..

Last edited:

mason33

Likes Dirt
I have a mate who just bought a set. He rides very aggressively and has put some serious dings in them. Our trails in Townsville are pretty rocky, but he even had trouble on a recent trip to Ourimbah!!

The only rocks I found there were sweet round ones??

He is very disappointed with them.
That's only half of a story and a second hand story at that... What does he weigh? what did he have previously in comparison? What tyres does he run and what pressure? Riding aggressively on a light weight wheel set is never the best idea to start with.

mint355

Likes Dirt
I noticed a lot of you are using Hope Pro 2s attached to Stans rims, I am considering going down a similar path. Where did you get your wheels from? Is the build quality of CRC any good? At the moment I am only looking at only getting a front wheel, I hear Pro 2 rears are noisy, fronts are fine right?
Yeah I have a set hope pro 2 evo/stan ztr flow and they are very noisy it makes you pedal alot more;)

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
Has anyone had a few months riding on any carbon wheelset, I am heading to France to ride a few AM events and want a stiff bomb proof wheelset. I am looking at either the DTSWISS EXC 155o or Enve Carbon wheels.
Also, you could give Greg at TWE a call regarding carbon mtb wheels. I know he has carbon rims for XC but unsure of whether he has them for AM. If he does have them then you will get a set of bombproof wheels and save a grand or so over the EXC 1550.